“Superb kiteschool with good lodging”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Copal

Ranked #7 of 11 things to do in La Cruz
Bergen, Norway
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Superb kiteschool with good lodging”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

As a newly born Kite Surfer I can really recommend Kitehose Costa Rica to any one who wants to learn this amazing sport. All the staff at the house tries to make your stay as comfortable as possible and they succeed!
I ended up staying here by coincidence and was well taken care off. Staying in the dorm gives you good value for money and the place is clean have a nice bathroom with hot water shower (not the electric one, but the real deal). The kitchen is small but does what it is supposed to. There is not a lot of options when it comes to restaurants so you will be using the kitchen :)
The Kite House is located less then a minute from the Kite beach and have a nice pool in the big relaxing garden. The place has a really good vibe and you will feel at home both at the beach Kiting or around the garden table drinking beers with your fellow kiters.
If you are taking lessons you will absolutely find this the perfect spot. I was in the water after 1,5 hour and on the board the second day. The teachers are great and really make you feel confident and comfortable. You will absolutely get your moneys worth!
I would recommend this to any body with out a doubt.

Visited December 2011
4 Thank Arnevas

Ann Arbor, Michigan
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Kitehouse rocks with people from around the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I went to Playa Copal with the intention of learning to Kiteboard. After looking at the options, I settled on the Kitehouse. Kent is really in to Kiteboarding and was patient with my repeated attempts to do everything backwards. They have a great house almost on the beach with a private room for a very reasonable rate. Great family run set-up with Kent & Lucy son Colin, as well as Lucy's brother Damien, and a whole host of new friends hanging out and having a great time together, In one week I learned the sport of kiteboarding and met people from 6 or 7 countries. I am going back every year!

www.kiteboardingcostarica.com

Visited December 2010
4 Thank Dan R
Bern, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Kite surfing in playa copal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Last January i started my trip to Costa Rica with the intention of learning how to Kite surf.

I got to Costa Rica and was told that the best spot for kite surfing was Playa Copal next to La Cruz in the north of the west coast.

There are three Kite surfing schools in this Bay.

The Blue dream Hotel:
It’s the first hotel on the road coming from La Cruz. It’s about a 15 minute drive from the Beach away. I didn’t stay there, but everyone I talked to, who had stayed there, told me about overpriced, small rooms and bad moods. I met some of the owners on the beach, and I have to say, that it’s not thanks to them that playa copal has such a great vibe.

Cometa Copal Kite Surfing:
This is the second school on the way to the beach, ran by Bob Selfridge. I knocked on the door and had app. 7 little puppies coming running at me. Bobs house is about 10 minutes from the Beach. He has a dorm room at his house and he rents out cabinas that are like 3-5 minutes walking distance from the beach with a great view over the beautiful bay (Baja Salinas).

This is where I decided to Stay. The Cabina had a little kitchen, a fan and a (hot) shower.
It also had a terrace with hammocks and tables, and a very nice swimming pool. The perfect place to relax after kite surfing. The restaurant right above the cabinas had an Asian cook
and served very delicious food.

The Kite house:
This is the 3rd school located right under Bobs cabinas (about 3 minutes from the beach)
I did not stay there or take any lessons from them, but the people running this school ( some French guys) hung out at the same spot on the beach as the people from Bobs school and they were all very nice and friendly guys. These two schools were helping each other out and I couldn’t feel any competition at all, which made a great atmosphere.

After arriving, Bob set me up with the cabina and took me grocery shopping (I was travelling without a car).
The next day he gave me kite surfing lessons. Within 3 days I was up on the board and surfing up and down wind all by myself. I would never have imagined picking this sport up so fast.
This was only possible because of the two teachers Bob and Rick, (Cometa Copal) and of course because of all the tips from all the other kite surfers on the beach.

The Wind tends to get a bit gusty from time to time, but its steady, and not a day goes by without enough wind to kite surf. The beach is not the most beautiful one I have seen in Costa Rica, but that doesn’t Mather, because you can go out surfing, and if you get in trouble, you can safely float back to the beach.

I stayed for over a week and had an amazing time there. The prices for the cabina, the lessons and the rental of the kite gear were very decent, I have to say, compared to everything else in Costa Rica they were almost to cheap. These people do this for the fun and not for the Money.

I can recommend a trip to Copal to everyone wanting to kite surf. It doesn’t Mather if you’re a beginner or a pro, you are going to have a great time.

Visited January 2011