Ecoplaya Beach Resort
US$121
US$114
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Villa Loma del Socorro(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$92
Travelocity
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
US$49
  • Breakfast included
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
US$360
TripAdvisor
Costa Dulce(San Juan del Sur)
Hotel Encanto del Sur(San Juan del Sur)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsday tripgreat place to unwindcosta kiteolder reviewstunanew mattressescleaned dailyenjoyable stayred snapperexcellent restaurantthe beach is greatfishing tripplaya rajadalake nicaraguamonkeyswindsurfnature
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2010

There is virtually nothing good to say about this property. First, it is very remote and not close to anything worth travelling to. To get to it, you have to travel a horrendously bumpy 13km unpaved road from the town of La Cruz, so once you get there, you figure you are not going to want to leave because you will lose all your fillings riding on that road. But once you get there and find out how Spartan the property and facilities are, and how little there is to do at the property, you have to reconsider that.
The people who work there are atypical of the many Costa Rican people we have dealt with as we have travelled about the country. They are not warm or welcoming and don’t seem at all interested in being helpful. The property is tired and unappealing and has clearly not been invested in for a very long time. The beach (and it is a stretch to call it that) is unusable. It is more like a shoreline than a beach and it is extremely windy, so it can’t be used. The nearest useable beach is about a 10 minute drive away, but does not have any amenities like chairs or a food concession.
The rooms are more like barracks and are dingy and poorly lit with low beds that are very, very basic and may be queen size at most. There is no place to buy even the most basic necessities and the only Internet connectivity is in the lobby area, for which they charge $5/day.
We were booked to stay there for 6 nights. On our first full day, after having breakfast in their restaurant and getting hit with all kinds of unrecognizable charges, we went for a long walk to a beach that they told us we could walk to in 30 minutes, but reached in an an hour and 15 minutes. When we returned mid afternoon, we learned that the electricity was out and that there was no certainty as to when it would be back. So we made the easy decision to get out of there and go to a real hotel.
To add insult to injury, I left an iPod there. When I got to my new hotel, a Marriott, the concierge was kind enough to call the Ecoplaya for me and make arrangements to get it sent to a location where one of the Marriott employees would be able to pick it up on the way to work and bring it to me. On the day that was supposed to happen, I received a message that the Marrriott person had gone to the place where the Ecolaya people had agreed to deliver the iPod, but it was not there. When she arrived at work, she contacted the Ecoplaya only to be told that the General Manager there had decided against the plan and that if I wanted my property back, the only way I would be able to get it was if I were to go back to the Ecoplaya myself, a 2 ½ hour drive from where I am now staying, and pick it up.
Bottom line: RCI has to either fix this place, both physical plant and people, or shut it down.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Dirty rooms. Pool is cloudy, not clean. Grounds not maintained. Staff is not friendly or helpful. Area is very remote with few activities. I would not recommend this "resort" to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2009

This was a very nice place to relax. If you are looking for a top end resort with Hilton like amenities I would recommend staying at the Hilton. We were a group of six and had two rooms. The rooms were nice and clean. The sealing around the doors and windows was a little loose so that did let some ants in, but that gives the geckos something to do. The wind did blow for the week that we were there, but I think that just kept it from getting too hot and they do have glass shields around the pool area.
The staff were all, without exception, very friendly and helpful to us gringos and we all had a good time trying to improve our Spanish at their expense. Special kudos to Humberto for always having something for us to do if we so desired and letting us relax when we wanted to. The trips that we went on with him were very enjoyable.
I found the food to be wonderful and was not dissapointed by anything I ordered. I was also pleasently surprised when I settled my bill at the end of the week.
The road into the resort is a dirt road and it is wash boarded, so be prepared for that. I was very happy that we got a GPS unit from the car rental agency as our plane was delayed and we got in late at night.
All in all I think we a had a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2009

In a remote part of Costa Rica not yet popular with mainstream Tourist. Hotel does not have a swimable beach but very private and beautiful beaches very close. Pool is average but gets job done. We found people very friendly , resort is very quiet , we were only 2 of 11 there. If you are expecting solitude and a taste of local Costa Rica then this is a good resort, again do not expect Marriott. Rooms are nice and certainly get job done. But it is what it is and does not cater to majority of mainstream travellers. Food is good , people are friendly(Humberto very helpful) Rent a car and plan your travel of area. As far as being expensive , everything on menu already included tax and tip , need to bear this in mind

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2009

we had a one bedroom appartment - quality so so poor, kitchen facilities looked like they should have been in a scrap metal dealers yard - bed linen and towels were well past there best. we had loud music two nights of our 6 night, it was so loud you could not hear the tv in our room (with windows and doors closed), when complained both night we were told this is the way it is (so they didnt give a hoot about other guess who did not want loud). it was a NIGHT MARE drive on the dirt road from la cruz 14km each way. we also had roaches in the room and other infestations.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple