“Day trips”

Papagayo Vargas Tours
Ranked #16 of 47 Tours in Liberia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My daughter and I took three tours with Papagayo (Nicaragua, Arenal, and Palo Verde). All three tours were excellent. We appreciated the time that Josta took to help us select the right tours for us as well as meeting with us in person when we arrived in Costa Rica. The drivers as well as the tour guides were polite and courteous and very knowledgeable. Look forward to returning to Costa Rica and enjoying taking more of Papagayo tours with this company. Everything was done first class.

There are newer reviews for Papagayo Vargas Tours

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Our group of 4 had a fantastic time with Vargas tours last weekend. We had very limited time and wanted to see as much as possible. After a lot of emails back and forth, discussing a number of different options in the area, we settled on a private tour. Our tour guide picked us up directly from the airport and took us to Vendera resort near Rincon after a quick stop for snacks at a grocery store (it's about an hour from the airport). Once at Vendera, we had a wonderful lunch (I typically try to avoid having lunches on tours - I usually find them to be tourist-geared and never that great; but this one was really an exception - a tasty 4-course meal and really nice atmosphere...certainly better than the food at the all-inclusive we stayed at!). After lunch, we went on to the zip-lining tour (about 45 mins on 10 different lines - don't miss doing this in Costa Rica, this is really so much fun and not that scary once you get used to it). I recommend having the photographer take your pictures on the zip lines. Carrying a camera would be really difficult and we got lots of really great photos on a CD for $30. After zip-lining, we got a mud mask and washed off in the river. The finale was the hot springs - a warm pool in the middle of the forest. The best thing? We didn't see anyone else the entire time and even had the hot springs all to ourselves. We paid more for the private tour, but it was really worth it and if you want to maximize your time (and at the same time not be rushed and enjoy everything for as long as you want), I really recommend going this way.

Everyone at Vargas was very nice and I would definitely look to them for booking a tour in the future.

1  Thank Sunny77777
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I took this tour with Papagayo. LOVED THEM! I had David as the tour operator. He was amazing, knowledgabe, funny and kept the day filled with activities.

This is a great tour because you cover a lot of ground. Cigar stop, Church, Market Bazaar, City Tour,
Lunch, River Boat Ride and Volanco stop and see. All stops are great and you have just the right amount of time to see everything. A complaint I heard from many people on my bus was this country depressed them. It can be true, it is a very poor country but you are going to see the richness in the culture.

The only comment I have is this is a very, very, very long day. It starts at 5am and you do not return back until 10 or 11 because you have to cross into two different immigration points back-to-back going in and out of the country. This was the biggest pain in the you know what and took a significant amount of time from the tour. My second quibble, depending what type of eater you are, you can feel like your starving when you return to the hotel. Lunch is around 1:30 and that is the last time you see food.

My recommendation, buy or bring fruit or snacks because everyone on the bus complained they were hungry by the time we got back to the hotel.

Tip: I think it is prudent for you to know but Liberia airport profiles Hispanic people leaving the country. My hubby and I had a 45 minute interrogration before we boarded the plane. They scruntized the one day trip to Nicaragua. It is not uncommon and can be very uncomfortable. I am not writing this to discourage you from taking the tour. Just an FYI of what can happen to you at the airport as a result of going to Nicaragua.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We visited Costa Rica for a week with a group of 9 friends and stayed at Riu Guanacaste. We found Vargas Tours through Trip Advisor before we left and received amazing service that started with the emails before the trip. Lupita answered all of our questions in a timely manner and was very helpful with our excursion plans.

We did 2 excursions. The first was a trip to Arenal Volcano, where we did the La Fortuna Waterfall, had a local lunch and later visited the Springs Resort and Spa. The second excursion was to Monteverde where we did the nature hike, hanging bridges and the Sky Trek/Sky Tram (zipline).

During both tours our tour guide Miguel and driver Tony were amazing! They made our tours very memorable with their knowledge, friendly personalities and their willingness to customize our experience.

Thank you Vargas Tours, Lupita, Miguel and Tony for making our trip to Costa Rica wonderful. We are already talking about coming back for another visit!

2  Thank Jelena M
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We e-mailed Vargas Tours before we left for Costa Rica and received a prompt reply. Our tour guide (Mau) and driver (JC) met our group of 8 (4 being teenagers) at the gates of our hotel at the designated time and drove us to the river where our Palo Verde tour began. Both of our guides were knowledgeable and professional but also very friendly and enthusiastic; we knew immediately we'd made the right choice of tour companys. The river tour was fantastic as was the traditional home-style Costa Rican lunch we enjoyed afterwards. Our guides never made us feel rushed and allowed us two hours of free time for shopping at Coco Beach. They even made a last minute stop at the supermarket so we could purchase coffee at a good price. At the end of the tour we were returned safely to our hotel. It was particularly nice to feel the tour had been customized to our small group. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Vargas Tours to anyone and would definitely book with them again. Thanks guys!