“Tried it On a Hunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Zaguan - CLOSED

El Zaguan
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish, Central American, Costa Rican, American, Steakhouse, Seafood, South American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
New Jersey
“Tried it On a Hunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

We saw the tour bus parked here and decided to try it for lunch as we were on a tight schedule on our way to the airport. Sat outside on the front porch and chatted with two lovely women from Austria who offered to share their table with us. I ordered the seafood plate and it was outstanding! Clams, mussels, two kinds of fish, calamari and I think, abalone. My husband ordered the shrimp and rice and like that too. The portions were very generous. The wait staff was very competent. Would definitely eat here again.

• Visited March 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Good Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I love having plantains with my meals. I miss that the most about Central America. They are yummy. The breakfast was good, coffee was good.

Visited February 2013
San Francisco, California
“Good food, friendly, and convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Very convenient location. Friendly and nice people. Food was great as well. I asked to borrow their phone to call our hotel and they even help me dial the hotel. Thanks.

• Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Good option”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

The food at El Zaguan does the job. It's not spectacular, but it's not bad either.

It's good for a meal, but I wouldn't be a repeat customer.

• Visited January 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Nice place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Near the main plaza and church in Liberia sits an inviting corner restaurant with a nice long veranda with tables looking on the road. There is no great view other than people/car watching but the atmosphere and the food makes it worth sitting outside.

This was our first day and first time in Costa Rica so it made sense to try out their Costa Rican fare such as Arroz con pollo and a typical traditional dish. Both were very flavorful and in large portions. We added an Imperial beer and a Coke and it was a perfect lunch. Total for two people was about $25 which was reasonable. Plus our waitress was very cheery and willing to explain to Gringos what the food was all about. As I said, a very nice place to eat.

• Visited December 2012