Hotel Liberia
US$36
  • Free Internet
US$69
TripAdvisor
All reviewsceiling fanone nightpretty courtyardcentral squaredorm roomcosta ricacourtyard areahot waterwould stay againper nightbudget hotelrooms are cleanstayed nightslast nightwarrenbedssangria
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Hotel Liberia is a low budget gem offering an oasis of tranquility in Liberia thanks to its delightfully relaxing courtyard. We stayed for three days and ate and drank in the beautiful courtyard as it was so peaceful and incredibly inexpensive. The staff are all very helpful and attentive. I would recommend the day trip to Rincon de la Vieja national park for a mere $20! If you are on a budget and want good service and a relaxing stay then Hotel Liberia is your best bet.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I´m a solo traveller, at the moment not on vacation, but rather travelling for a longer time, therefore can´t splash the cash. But in general I prefer my own 4 walls to dorms. I was very happy with my choice thanks to the reviews of Tripadvisor.

In general the hotel is in a great locaton, just few meters from Central Park! It was relaxed and quiet. It is also very clean.

I feel sorry that a guest had this thing with the taxis, but I must say that is the going rate from the airport, I was chatting to a Canadian at the central park, and he mentioned the same price when he was taken from airport by just "a" taxi (nothing special) to a hotel.

I, for my part, experienced excellent service. I worked myself in customer service, and I was pleasantly surprised how good the attention is. As soon as you start approaching one of them you´ll get their eyes and they come to help you.

My personal suggestions to the hotel would be:
- check the lock on the 3rd floor bathroom - it was such a hard work to open the lock and I made quite a bit of noise struggling with it. So I imagine the dorms that are directly next to it, heard the bangs. But I assume when the cleaners clean, noone has the habit of locking themselves in to verify if all is in good condition :)
- also my lock on my door was hard work. It looked like a bit older, so I supposed it will get swopped out soon... In the beginning when I couldn´t find the "trick" to open it, I turned the key into a an 8.
- I´d suggest to change one of the fried breakfast into granola-fruit-yoghurt deal. I just felt with so many international guests and in such a hot climate, it would have been nice to have something like that as an option (granola is easy to make too).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
MarketingHL L, Owner at Hotel Liberia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thanks a lot for such a nice opinion about our hotel, getting the satisfaction and recommendation from our clients makes us keep working as good as we try to do it everyday.

Regarding the door locks observations, we will be fixing or replacing them inmediately. Besides checking the rest of doors as preventive maintenance.

Hoping to have the opportunity of have you as a guest again, all the best!

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay in Liberia. It's a very very cute place. The rooms are clean and very affordable. The best part about this place is the great staff! The owner Warren and his son Eduardo are great people. They make your stay as comfortable as possible and do their best to make you comfortable. I definitely recommend this place if you need somewhere to stay in Liberia!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This is actually a beautiful place, though my experience here went from good to worse.

I stayed at Hotel Liberia at the start of my trip, paid $10 and had a decent time, leaving after only a night.

90 days later I returned and was charged $13. The place looked like they had made some improvements, so I said nothing, though a $3 increase is unheard of in just 3 months.

I asked about early morning transportation options to the Liberia Airport (a 5-10 minute drive) and Jorge at the desk told me that they offer a $25 car service. I asked about other options and he told me that THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS early in the morning. Specifically he told me that the bus does not begin to run until 7:30am and that any taxi costs the same $25 and I should just book it through the Hotel.

This stunk of scam to me, so I went to ask a taxi driver on the street. The first price he gave me (the gringo price) was $16. I'm sure he would have taken me for $12 easy.

I next went to the bus station to ask about buses The nice woman at the ticket office told me that the buses run all night for around 400 colones (less than $1), and that I could buy the ticket at the window when the office opens at 4:30AM, or just take the bus on the corner.

To recap...
Hotel Liberia's price: $25 (they claim this to be standard)
First street taxi stopped: $16 (maybe less)
Bus that runs all day: $1 (less than a dollar)

When I brought this information back to Jorge at Hotel Liberia, he became very upset and aggravated, played innocent, and called his boss so that they both could tell me that this was a huge surprise to them--that they were using the information they had. They offered me no legitimate explanation, and did nothing to make it up to me as a guest.

As if they never verified their price with local taxi prices.

As if they didn't know there was a bus to the international airport 5 minutes away.

Here's what really pissed me off. I got up early in the morning to walk in the dark with my bags to the station to catch the bus, and walked all the way to the bus station. Then when the bus began its drive, it stopped in the central park, DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE HOTEL. Not only did they lie to me, but they put me in danger. Mentirosos.

This is tourist abuse.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jacob S
MarketingHL L, Owner at Hotel Liberia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear client,
We are trully worry about the situation we had regarding your transportation. It seems to be everything else worked fine for you during your stay with us and we are really sorry that a misunderstanding and a little lack of updated info disturbed you that way. We did know you were upset since you strongly complained directly to our Manager that day.
Regarding transportation rates, in Costa Rica you can find 3 types of taxi options: 1. The red taxi cabs which have full legal requirements normally and safe enought but may not have bilingual driver or high level customer service, they probably have a standard rate set by a taximeter or board . 2. "Porteadores or piratas" sometimes have a goverment authorization but as they are not the official cabs, you will find them in many kinds of cars and colors, they may charge lower rates to compete with red ones (but probably they don´t pay social security or ensurances and their cars may not be in the best conditions for example, so they charge less). Finally, hotels and other touristic companies like us have private cars in great conditions, safe bilingual drivers, ensurances and excellent customer service.
In all cases, rates will change depending on service level conditions as in many other services normally works. Sometimes when we have needed a red taxi cab, they charge $20- $25 which is normal as we operated this service hundreds of times. As we are centrally located, our guests are always free to look around for the transfer option they want (event prior arrival) and choose the one they are willing to pay according with the conditions they need.
As far as we knew by the time of your visit and our Manager told you, there was not a public bus option to the airport so early as 5 am or before that, and definely the route that bus normally took was not in our street front. Now we know the bus company added more services and changed the way -which is great because it means there are more tourist in town!- so this could be our fault for not having the updated info for you that moment.
We are a family old business working in tourism since many decades, and we know the importance of being honest and helpful for our clients as one of the main strengths we need to keep working as good as our guest tell us constantly.
Please receive our sincere apollogies for this circustances, letting you know our intention was and will always be offering the best services and recommendations to our clients.

Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

it's small, old and sweet! Everyone had been very friendly and patient with our lack of Spanish, room is fine (it's definitely hot in here) but it's $40 bucks for a private two bed + full bathroom, can't go wrong! Also, the food is pretty awesome

• Stayed: March 2013