“Horrible hotel: avoid like the plague.”
Review of Las Espuelas Hotel

Las Espuelas Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Liberia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We came to this hotel with a wedding in progress -- blaring loudspeakers, bad music, so loud all you could hear was thumping in the room. It felt as though you were plopped in the navel of a really bad Latin club. They said that the music would stop at 10 or 10:30 pm (!). They lit super-loud firecrackers (should not have been allowed). I complained at 10:40 (a man Named Noel at the front desk said it would be 10 more minutes). It did not end till 11 pm at night, and only after my threats to write a letter of complaint to Best Western. This was badly managed, and completely unfair to all the other guests as the hotel. The manager didn't bother to come and speak to me afterward. Get this: then they began dismantling the tent (could be heard well after 1 am). Super-stressful beginning to my trip. Far enough away from the airport to be a $20 cab ride, and another $20 cab ride to the rental cars.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank O M
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for writing us about your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. I'm sorry to ear that you've been so disappointed from your stay due to the wedding that we host in the gardens, I truly apologize. We're already organizing better next weddings and make them finish no later than 10pm to guarantee a nice rest to our guests; at least you have lived a truly tico experience!
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I enjoyed this hotel for a one night stay on the way to Tegucigalpa. Service was friendly and warm and all questions pertaining to Liberia and the route were handled well. Security is excellent. The rooms are semi-quiet, but still you are able to hear through the walls with ease.

Hotel is clean and comfortable and priced right.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mr.Baird,

Thank you for sharing this review about your recent stay at Hotel Las Espuelas and for your kind comments.We truly wish to welcome you soon

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel is close to Liberia airport, has beautiful grounds and a pool. We stayed 4 nights at this hotel.There are a lot of trees and flowers all around.Free WIFI and excellent internet connection.I had sent an email to the Hotel regarding transportation from the airport.I received a quick response from Maureen. We really appreciated Maureen's assistance and she was the only bilngual person at the Hotel. She provided us tips to different tours, and recommendations on beaches.She was very quick to call various personnel for our day tours, interpreted with the kitchen staff as to our needs.
Maureen, thank you so much!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shobc

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to write this nice review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our employee Maureen.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon

Best regards

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here to catch an early morning flight. We found the hotel, though the sign was not lighted. We got our key, and drove out for dinner. Upon our return, we went to our room. As we opened the door, I heard the tv, and the lights wer on. Imagine our surprise, as well as the rooms other guest, who was in bed! How did that happen! Anyway, after getting another room, it was comfortable, but there was no toilet paper, and I the morning, I discovered there was no soap or shampoo either. Luckily, having done much traveling in Costa Rica, I was prepared, but this room cost 60 dollars! I am pretty sure the person I startled as I entered their room would also give this hotel a bad review!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LeslieMcCain
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Ms.McCain,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry about your latest experience at the Hotel Las Espuelas and please be assured that this is certainly not representative of the usual service we provide to our guests. Please rest assured we are taking this matter seriously in order to improve our service.
We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back at the Hotel in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel is nicely located, close to the main road, beautiful grounds, seperate hotel blocks, a huge pool with nice chairs and trees/flowers around. The room is okay, basic furniture, large tv-screen, good hot water and excellent internet connection at all rooms/pool. Breakfast is nothing to write home about but sufficient and with fresh fruits and juices and good coffee, buffet. All in all a good price/quality (we only paid 55 USD including taxes and breakfast for 3 persons).

Room Tip: If you want a room away from the highway choose 30 and above.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnLindhout
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Guests,
thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us and for chosing Hotel Las Espuelas for your stay in Liberia.
I’m glad you’ve enoijed your stay, our hotel was proudly estableshed 50 years ago but as you could see we take care of the maintenance of rooms and public aereas, we’re also proceeding with the renewal of the hotel in order to offer functional and modern rooms.

I hope to have you again soon as our guest

Warm regards

Martina

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel. My overall opinion of the hotel is pretty good, but there are a few disadvantages. The pro's are definitly the spacious clean rooms and the swimming pool. The location is also quite good, unless you are independent of public transport. Unfortunately, the staff made us believe that you really needed a 4x4 car if you wanted to visit the national parcs like Rincon de la Vieja and Palo Verde. In the end we discovered just by trying that the opposite was true. The roads were easibly accesible for regular cars. Besides, the hotel garantees a buffet breakfast after 6:00am till around 10 or 11. So it didn't live up to my expectations when the dining room was empty at 7:30am and there was no food at all. At least we had the chance to order something, though it was quite disappointing since the breakfast of the day before already didn't satisfy much. Nevertheless i don't want to criticise the hotel, because the rooms were very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Ms.Nanouk93,
thank you for sharing this review about your recent experience at our Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you appreciated our recently renovated rooms and our delightful swimming pool.
I apologize if the staff gave you wrong advices about going to Rincon de La Vieja Nacional Park, during the rainy season some road get very inaccesible here in Costa Rica, I will make sure that they will be daily informed about the situation of the roads.
Regarding the buffet breakfast, some mornings we prefer to serve our guests breakfast “a la carte” instead of the buffet, in order to offer everything as fresh as possible.

Looking forward to welcoming you back I send my best regards

Martina

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May 2013. The room was nice and clean. However, we were very disappointed with the hotel staff. Most all of them did not speak English, so we had a very hard time communicating with them. I spent 15 minutes at the front desk trying to get a wash cloth because we didn't have one in our room on the 2nd night (we did have one the first night) - only to be told they didn't have it. Which I knew wasn't true since we had one before. BUT, alas. We were in room 9, and internet service was spotty. Sometimes we could connect and sometimes we couldn't. It worked perfectly in the lobby. The free breakfast that was included was very nice. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple