Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino
US$36
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
Hotel Javy(Liberia)
All reviewsguanacaste treestennis courtslarge treeslovely groundsrestaurant staffburger kingbuffet stylestay in costa ricarooms are largeworked greatgrocery storeincluded breakfastsan josepollonear airportearly flightcrocodiles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I was on a medical trip to Liberia and booked the hotel for 2 nights. Basically, the hotel is very well situated near downtown Liberia. Just near by, you will find a shopping plaza, burger king, pizza hunt, Mcdonalds etc....I guess you get the picture..This not a new hotel, a little dated but it is very clean with nice big rooms, big pool, large training room with aerobic machines, free weights etc. The grounds are beautiful with all the mature growth. The staff are very friendly and the free breakfast is very good....Hey, this is not a 4 star hotel but very adequate for the cost. Off season rate was $60.00 USD...Overall a nice refuge upon arrival for beginners of the Costa Rican life...Once you have a car and feel more comfortable strike out towards the beaches and settle in. Lots of deals over there also, especially in the off season.

Room Tip: Book a room in the back facing the pool on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Great location..this hotel is at the center of Liberia and 14 km from the international airport...room was very clean..breakfast is included in the price...very close to shops and restaurants...
Un lindo lugar para pasar en familia o para una escapadita...PURA VIDA...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fofo527
Reviewed 17 August 2013

So, we didn't actually spend a night at this hotel, but we had to spend 3 hours there waiting for a shuttle. The people at the front desk could not have been any nicer to us, holding our bags while we got some food, letting us use the pool, then making multiple calls when our shuttle was late to make sure we got on our way safely. They really went above and beyond and we wanted to give them some credit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel W
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Liberia at each end of our stay in Costa Rica, and both times we enoyed a clean comfortable room, good functional (although small) bathroom, lovely pool and grounds, and very nice restaurant with great complimentary breakfast. I booked the hotel on Expedia, and feel the rate of (about) $60 per night was very fair.
Front desk staff is mostly helpful, although I would likely have fared better if my Spanish had been better.
I would recommend this hotel without doubt.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor both times, overlooking the pool. It was quiet and comfortable each time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie F
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed here in January and was misled by front desk on price of room. I decided to give it another chance in March
but had an even worse experience. The first room they assigned me was supposedly a NON SMOKING room. I walk my bags all the way up the stairs to the far end to find my room stunk of smoke! Hmm a non smoking room? ( so much for quality
of service, quality control ) I went back downstairs to the front desk to let the young lady know I wanted a new room since
my room stunk of smoke. She seemed confused and didn't know why I didn't want the room. She struggled to find me
another room it seemed ( maybe because I requested a 2nd floor room on the pool side as not to be disturbed at night
by the VERY LOUD music from the bar across the street ) The young lady gave me a new key to a room on the 2nd floor
this time but directly across from the bar. I opened the door the room looked like it just was vacated. The young lady responded by saying they will clean it for me and it will only take 15 minutes! As well that she wanted me just to put
my bags in the room! Are you kidding me? This time I could see she was struggling with finding me a room I could see.
She said she only had a room on the first floor now. I said it was fine as long as it was clean and didn't stink of smoke.
The room seemed fine until I turned the a/c on and heard and saw the water running down the wall from the a/c unit onto
the floor. At this point I didn't care and moving hotels at this point was not an option since I had already taken a shower
and they would of charged me anyways! Needless to say I couldn't wait to checkout in the morning. In fairness to the hotel someone did respond to my complaint via Best Western site but too little too late. I never will stay here again. I'm sure mgmt was never even told about my room problems at all and they only knew about it because of my complaint via BW.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
HOTELELSITIO, General Manager at Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Traveler:

As I stated in my previous reply to this same complaint recently, please accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies for your very unfortunate and unpleasant experience in our hotel. Some of your issues are being dealt with by replacing all of our front desk personnel with new, well trained people. I was in the process of trying to hire new staff when you checked in the other day.

Although I can’t change what has happened in the past, I am committed to ensure that these things don’t happen in the future. Rather than deal with your many issues on a point by point basis I can only assure you that the problems which were not handled correctly by the receptionist as well as the problems with your room which were the fault of the housekeeping staff, are being addressed and the appropriate action will be taken. This will entail either further enhanced training of the housekeeping and cleaning staff, or the firing of those in our staff who are negligent in their duties contrary to their explicit instructions regarding the expected high standard of a Best Western hotel.

Your stay in our hotel was definitely a guest’s worst nightmare, and I can assure you that this type of situation is totally unacceptable by me, and will not happen again in the future. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Herold Ovares Mora