“Good for budget travellers”

La Posada del Tope Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Liberia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've stayed here on 4 separate trips through Liberia. 3 out of the 4 I was with another person and stayed in the building across the street. These rooms were basic, but certainly good enough for the price. All are shared bath. The best room in my opinion is at the very rear of the property. Once I was on my own and stayed in the "main building" where the front desk is, and that room was very dark and cramped. Kinda creepy, but I survived.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jwrinkles

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were excited looking at the pictures on the hotel website but it wasn't as good as the pictures, although this lodging is built inside a heritage house/building and can be homey and good for backpackers. It's a sort of hostel, I should say.

I called in the night before we arrived but the next-day we didn't find our reservation. Luckily there was still a room, which after, we had to leave because we found a better place to stay. It was just because we needed a little more luxury on our holiday.

Yes, the buildings are to admire, as well as its knick knacks from old times. But that was just about it. The room reminded me of my grandmother's house in the village.

What I would recommend about this place is their tours, they seemingly have more tour options than others. But for this, then coming is better in the afternoon/evening before the night you want to do the tours.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank psychedelicangel
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were staying at another hotel in Liberia and looking for a tourist information center to see if we could arrange some day tours during a two-day layover there. The center city shop keepers sent us to Posada del Tope, located in the historic district (Calle Real) of the city. Dennis, the owner of the hotel was extremely generous with his time and expertise to us non-guests and located a 1/2 day tour with El Viejo tour company (highly recommended) at a reduced off-season rate (August 2013) that included a driver, English speaking guide, boat tour on the Tempisque River where we saw a large number of various birds, crocodiles, lizards, monkeys and anteaters. Alejandro, the guide, was university trained in Ecology/Tourism and gave us an informed and entertaining overview of the flora and fauna in Costa Rica. He held the attention of 3 children in another family that took the same boat tour for over 3 hours as we toured the Tempisque and discovered all the treasures of this beautiful country. They took us to La Casona, a restored historic hacienda, toured a sugar cane facility, and had a terrific lunch in the hacienda's restaurant. Both Posada del Tope (excellent experience) and El Viejo touring are highly recommended for reliable Pura Vida experiences in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This was my first stop in Costa Rica. I was used to paying a lot less for a lot more in Nicaragua, but this place was a little gem in a sea of over-priced lodging. The rooms are very simple with a bed, a table, and a fan. It's more like a hostel, but you get your own room with a shared bath. The decor is really cute with lamps made out of trumpets and records adorning the walls. Best of all, the staff is ÜBER helpful. I had a problem with my visa and they helped me fix the situation by going above-and-beyond. There's a small microwave, small fridge, and some dishes for everyone's use. Also, you get a small discount on the tours. I went to the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park and I paid less than anyone else in the van because of Posada del Tope. I even left my jacket out to clean later because it had grown mold on it and Dennis, the owner, washed and dried it--out of just plain goodness--while I was out hiking. I totally recommend this place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We arrived on the bus from San Jose in January 2013 and walked into town. We stayed at the Posada del Tope. Our room was a hut in the back garden. There was no window but the fan was quite efficient. The room was clean but there were cracks in the concrete floor and a few ants. We had our own shower, sink and toilet. There was only cold water available but the weather was so hot that it was not a problem. The bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. This is a very economical place to stay!

Room Tip: This is very cheap place to stay so don't expect too much. There may be better rooms in other pa...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

The Tope includes a homemade service for local trips n adventures. Easy, cheap n friendly. Great for students n adventurous holidaymakers. We took a great wild life trip n a brilliant rafting trip. The hotel is just a short distance from the main square and several resturants.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank golfingsailingsurfer
Reviewed 13 June 2012

aftr living in nicaragua for so long i got used to paying a fare price for a decent place. everywhere else in town was overpriced. this place is fairly basic. but 10$ for a private room? seemed clean and the bathrooms where very nice. ill stay here anytime im passing thru

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo