“A little expensive, but great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Bramadero

Hotel El Bramadero
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Liberia
Cannon Beach, Oregon
“A little expensive, but great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I wanted to travel from Nicaragua to Liberia for two nights, but I had not scouted out Liberia before and was hoping I'd find a place to stay that night after TicaBus dropped me off near McDonalds. It was dark and I could barely read my map. Fortunately, this hotel was right across the road and open. It was a lot more expensive than other places I had stayed in Nica or could've stayed in Liberia at $20 per night (off season pricing in Aug 2011). But the accomodations were great, the host (and owner of the hotel) was gracious, and the food impeccably delicious. I was able to tour Rincon de La Vieja National Park with a shuttle tour pickup at the hotel. Returning to Nicaragua was easy because TicaBus stops right in front of the hotel. Extremely convenient for the frequent travelers who need a place to stay for 72 hours *wink wink*. But that wasnt me because I was only visiting for Spanish immersion, but I know many who do Nica/CR or CR/Nica. Great place.

The 2nd night I didn't sleep as well because I got sick from drinking a fruity, coconut punch drink (non-alcoholic) at a restaurant in town, but I don't fault the hotel for that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bryce H
Laura O, Gerente at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Hello. It's good to know you liked our food and you got a great hostess!! I'm sorry to hear you got sick, hope you recovered quickly. We offer lower rates on off season but we always try give a good value for money which I hope you had. Thanks for your comment, we hope to have you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We were waiting the catch the Tico bus to Nicaragua at thehotel and decided to have a bite to eat. We were pleasantly surprised with the delicious hamburgers we ordered. We had been away from Canada for some time and really missed a good hamburger and this one was great. It was so good that when we returned fro Nicaragua we stopped for another. We highly recommend this plus the staff were great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank martha111
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel has charm. It's a quality that is being wiped out in many places.

The rooms are located around the pool (which when we were staying in Feb was freezing!!) which is situated behind the open air restaurant in front of the main intersection of town. After a sometimes scary trip across the street (use the cross walks!!) there is a mini-food court, ATM, McDonalds, grocery store and other restaurants. Bottom line, there are places to get groceries and colones for the rest of your trip.

TIP! Go to the bank that is located in the shopping plaza. I believe it was the Bank of Costa Rica. You can PRE-PAY for your departing airport tax there...get it all settled before you go to the airport. Getting into and waiting in line for the tellers is a *bit* different than here in the US :) I'll let you experience that... :) The first time we left the airport in CR the line to pay the tax was HUGE, and we didn't pay in advance...the next time we paid in advance and there was NO line. Still, I would suggest it just in case.

We have stayed twice, once at the beginning and once at the end of our trip. The TicaBus stops directly in front of the hotel!(when you buy your ticket in advance they know this is your stop) THIS IS KEY. We took it to Nicaragua, and just knowing that the bus stops there is wonderful. You can sit at the restaurant until it pulls up. Make sure to tell the hotel you are catching the bus. They have a "parking attendant" who can kind of keep a look out for it. Make sure to tip him if he helps!

The rooms are basic, but the TV has a bunch of cable channels, there is plenty of hot water and it's just fun being in a classic little well run hotel/restaurant. Breakfast may be a bit expensive but it is really good!!

Of course, with beaches so close, this is a place to stay when you need to be at the airport early, if you fly into town late, or if you have business to do in Liberia. Nice memories and not cookie cutter.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sound_and_visionary
Laura O, Gerente at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Hello! Thanks for your comment… we try to improve keeping our "old time charm" . We're pleased to know you had a good time with us. All your tips are great. Hope to have you back soon!
Longmont, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Rooms are behind restaurant and busy intersection and we had no noise problems. Ate dinner there, staff easily accommodated vegetarian husband and we had a good laugh when I used the Spanish word for desert versus dessert ;-) Staff gently made sure we were up for our 5:30am taxi. Clean room, modern bath, close to stores if you like to explore where locals are shopping (I do!). Walked around, saw Justice Center and beautiful iguanas heading up the trees for sleep time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aenash
Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

With this older, classic hotel located at the major crossroads, I was concerned about hearing the rumblings of ever-present semi-trucks and the constant honking of Ticos driving, but the hotel is located behind the restaurant and the thick adobe walls muffle just about everything. Ask for a room at the very back as there is a small little garden area where you can sit on one of the many rocking chairs located in the outdoor hallway. We paid about $75/ night and cash brought the price down a little. The restaurant had a good selection with the plate of the day being about the same price but including a drink and bread. We actually "risked our lives" and crossed that crazy street because kitty-corner is a grocery store and they offer a buffet for all meals for about $6. We will continue to stay here when we travel into Nicaragua.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms as they do vary in size and quality.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank moniqueflick
Lali O, Gerente at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thanks for posting, in fact, the noise is not what you would expect in front of a highway! Taking the rooms at the back is a good advise, but also around the pool you will find quiet rooms. Hope to have you back soon, and keep letting us know how to improve.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

Recently on my way to and from San Jose I stayed here.....two nights on the first go and one night for my return to Playa Negra. When I came back on the second run the staff were happy to see me, the owners saying to the staff that whatever I needed, please take care of me.

I like that.

The Hotel Bramadero has some interesting history behind it given that it was started 60 years ago as a rest stop, the last rest stop before the border crossing. For me, on this trip anyway, I needed a place to stay where I could rest.

I was given a room with a large bed, well-appointed bathroom (with one of those cool bowl sinks) and excellent HOT WATER. When one has been living in the boonies for awhile hot water is wonderful to have. And yes, they have air conditioning.

I slept peacefully. My only complaint would be the smallish TV.....too small of a screen for me to see well....maybe one day they will upgrade to LCD screens. AT the time of my stay they were experiencing net issues but that is to be expected down here.....so don't complain about it and instead just piggy-back off of Rotten Ronnie's unsecured net access next door.

The restaurant which fronts the hotel is a welcoming place with great service and wonderful food.....many of the tour buses stop here and the establishment does not mind folks taking up space waiting for the Tica or TransNIca buses going north.

One of their specialties is Parilla (grilled meats) and given the well-heeled locals that pop in for nosh that oughtta tell you something about this place.

Oh, and the pool, NICE......very nice indeed.

For $45 a night one cannot go wrong....cheaper than the BEst Western down the road and you would be supporting a long-standing "Tico" business.

Room Tip: If you need peace and quiet, let the front desk know. If you need laundry done they will do it for...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RoZeeGee
Lali O, Gerente at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you had a good time with us. Hope to have you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I am a Costarican and "El Bramadero" is a very good place to stay the location is great (In the middle of Liberia near to every place you want to go) I went there when I was little and it was in a bad shape but they have make everything better new beds new rooms net bathrooms new windows all the other reviews are before the remodelations so listen to these review great hotel great place great food (great great food) Thanks for reading.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Mauricio1212
Lali O, Director de Recepción at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thanks for your comment Mauricio. You are right, our rooms are remodeled and we work on getting better everyday, trying to keep the essence of our place. We hope to have you back soon !