“Guided caving, hike and off road adventure”

Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Nicoya
More attraction details
Owner description: This park is best known for its well-preserved limestone caves.
Buffalo, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Guided caving, hike and off road adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

BRING WATER!!

I purchased the $35 "guided caving". Overall it is a great value. I got to beat up my rental car a bit going up a curvy and fun dirt road, then hiked for a couple miles, then went into the cave itself. The trip down into the cave follows a meatal ladder- this would be scary for those afraid of heights as its like 70' or so, but its doable. The ropes and belaying equipment were in good shape overall. The rigging seemed stable and I helped them take it down as I was the last hiker - so it doesn't stay out in the weather. The cave experience was 2 large rooms, I was told later a third room collapsed after an earthquake a couple months ago. Between the hike, the offloading, the scenic overlooks, the guide's knowledge of local flora and fauna and the caving itself, this was a LOT of bang for the buck. I ended up tipping my guide $10, but this is optional. My guide spoke very little to nearly no English - so I had a chance to work on my Spanish. Some of the other guides spoke english, mine did not.

Visited November 2012

salisbury MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Barra Honda”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Not for the out of shapers or those with a fear of heights. Amazing fmarine fossils in caves more than 30 miles from the ocean.

Sámara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

This tour was really exciting. The hike was challenging but fun, the views were great and the decent to the cave was thrilling. It was higher than I expected and just a great experience.

Canada
“Caves, Monkies, Bats, Birds, Waterfalls, something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

The caves were cool! It seems pricey 26 dollars but you get to see a portion of the park on the way to the cave entrance then when inside the cave it is a great experience! My friend is slightly claustrophobic but the guides we had were so patient and encouraging for her. The cave tour was a great experience and also camping in the park was fun too, several campsites you can stay at and get the opportunity to walk the trails they have-- waterfalls one massive and a smaller one if you feel like just taking an easy hike, bat caves, and a natural spring. You are literally surrounding yourself in nature and there was always a staff of the park were always there when we had questions. Definitely worth the stop. At night there were so many bats and then in the morning a troop of howler monkies passed and we were told this is quite normal it was really a fun experience for us!

Visited February 2012
mn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice cave, but super short tour.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Would have been great if it was more like an hour or two or three in the cave. They really talk up this area with its 40 some cave entrances and miles of caverns, then limit the general public to about 200-300 ft total in a tour that takes 30 minutes to finish. Thats BS in my book. It takes a good deal of effort ($28 PP, driving and hiking) just to get the entrance of the cave, at least give me a nice long time underground surrounded by the amazing white formations and corals (yes, very cool) after I make that effort. My wife and I have been in Jewel and Wind cave in the States and another cave system in Budapest Hungary. This tour was super short in comparison. But that 200 or 300ft you do get to see is amazing. Maybe next time I'll try to pre-arrange a real "speleological" tour of another cave in the system. Oh, and bring your Spanish skills because the nice old man leading the tour below ground did not speak any English (not sure if its the same guide all the time).

Visited March 2012