“Curu Tour With Eduardo may not be worth the $$”

Curu National Wildlife Refuge
Book In Advance
More Info
US$118.00*
and up
Private EcoAdventure Tour in Santa Teresa
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Nicoya
More attraction details
Owner description: Privately owned, this refuge has excellent birding and wildlife watching.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We booked a Curu Tour with Eduardo a naturalist who has been doing private tours for many years. He charged $75 per person for a 3 hour tour which was listed as including a jungle tour & beach tour of flora and fauna.
We saw howler monkeys, and macaws before even getting to Curu on our ride up. Eduardo pulled the car over for us to get out and get a closer look. At Curu we saw white faced monkeys, raptors, deer, spider monkeys that were being rehabilitated that we were able to feed bananas to which was awesome. I think we expected to hear more information & background about the grounds- especially the plant life (I'm and herbalist!) but really we just walked around the grounds together- which we could have done without him. When we got to the beach area, Eduardo just said we had 45 minutes to look around on our own- so he had no part in talking about the life on the beach. Again, we could have done this on our own. Don't get me wrong the Curu was wonderful and we saw amazing wildlife, we just didn't need a personal guide or to spend $150 to do it. Eduardo did burn us a CD of the images of Costa Rica's beautiful wildlife that he's captured over the years which was a plus for sure. Definitely make the trip to Curu but skip the guide:)

1  Thank AK S

Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you want to be assured to see a monkey on your trip, you will see lots of white face and howler monkeys. Also, they offer a 3 hr snorkel trip that is $ 30 pp includes equipment and a fruit snack. Quite a good value. We hired a guide to walk with us ($ 15 pp), he was great and explained alot about plants, animals and the eco-sytstem of the area. He was also great at spotting wildlife. Great value.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Booked for a 2-dives to Tortugas Island

First dive was among the worst I did. Didn't so the second dive, even as the owner said there was no refund.
Visibility was about 10ft.
Staff doesn't seemed concerned with customers safety nor satisfaction.
PADI advised as the basics safety rules don't seem to apply here !
The recipe for a diving accident is here !

2  Thank John S
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at Curu about 16 years ago, and brought my teenaged kids back for a real back to nature experience. I'm sad to say that it was a real disappointment. It looks like the cabins are set up as dormitories for students, and are not at all comfortable - many small rooms with bunk beds. We were the only ones there and they put us in the furthest cabin that really had no beach except washed up brack and garbage - I think if we'd had another cabin with a beach it would have been a better experience. We surprisingly saw little interesting wildlife, except the a few monkeys on arrival, and lots of cows. I even got up early for a walk the next day, and saw pretty much nothing - likely because it was so dry. The staff was not helpful at all - I don't expect a lot, but it really didn't feel welcoming. And, it is very expensive compared to other places we stayed - $90 a night for myself and 2 children. Breakfast was mostly from a package unlike other places we stayed, and it was also more expensive. Maybe someplace to go for the day, but consider hard before staying there.

1  Thank Hea6617
Reviewed 28 February 2014

between Tambor and Cobano (closer to the former) the Curu Reserve is well worth the drive, not only for the animals (which the other reviewers mention), but also for the wonderful walking trails, the direct access to the beach and the possibility of going snorkeling at Tortuga Island.

1  Thank giantmanToronto