“co-habitation”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Nicoya
mapleville
“co-habitation”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The casa calitas resort, in coyote, is now being managed separatly from the farming operaton. Both operations support a number of the local community residents.The environmental group PRETOMA has people here locally working very hard to protect several species of large sea turtles from extinction. Most tourists who would frequent the Casa Calitas Resort, would empathize with the ecological benfits of supporting the resurgence of the sea turtle population. However, when possitive passions give way to negative anger, no one wins. My wife and I recently purchased property close by and found the new management of the resort quite accomidating. This is truly a very beautiful spot. I seems to me that there should be a strong relatonship between the Casa Calitas resort and PRETOMA. Guests to Casa Calitas and the other area hotels would probably love to see the operation to "save the turtles". They, also, could give posititve feedback and ask for support from the "powers that be". This approach may , in the long term, soften the heart of an older gentleman who may feel disrespected. This could be very important when that person has unarguable financial power.
Casa Calitas has some wonderful California wines. They just so happen to be produced by the owner. I hope someday that a portion of the sales from the owners wines at Casa Calitas could be donated to the cause of local environmental protection. This is probably a long way off, but someone needs to start to build bridges, and stop buring them.
My wife and I met others while at Casa Calitas who thought it was a wonderful place to stay. We hope they will be successful, so we can visit the bar and restaurant and recommend to our family and friends that they stay in this hotel. Costa Rica is a place for diplomacy, not war, even though the former can be more difficult.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charles h

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 November 2010

This place had a beautiful view from its main lobby, and that is about it. The staff were extremely unattentive. They used pesticides outside of our door in the morning, yet claimed to be eco-friendly. The undercooked eggs for breakfast made me sick, and the entire hotel was filled with obnoxious Americans who kept complaining about the cellphone service, although I guess me complaining about them makes me an obnoxious american. To top it off, the place is in the middle of nowhere and basically has the only restaurant in town. There are far better places to go and things to see in Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redvisorman
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I know nothing about the owner's environmental record, and I don't know much about the plight of sea turtles in the specific areas other reviewers have referenced. What I do know, however, is that Casa Caletas is a beautiful, new and modern boutique hotel situated in Playa Coyote, virtually in the middle of nowhere. When my girlfriend and I were forced to find a place to stay when confronted with sunken, impassable roads and flooded bridges, on our way to Montezuma, we accidentally stumbled onto Casa Caletas.

We walked up to the front desk at sunset, and the view from the hotel, on the top of a hillside, overlooking the Pacific Ocean and lush Costa Rican forests, took our breath away. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and very modern. There was a big, flat screen TV in our room (which we never turned on), and the complimentary Wi-Fi was very helpful. The grounds were very well maintained, and the pool was small but terrific. (I have never had a better view from a pool.) There is a restaurant on-site, though apparently it is closed when they are not expecting guests, but the bar was well-stocked. They also have kayaks available for people wishing to explore.

We would have paid anything, literally, on the night of our arrival, but the rate was as reasonable as any I saw in Costa Rica. Casa Caletas literally saved our vacation.

Two further things to note. First, we stayed at Casa Caletas for several days, and the did not provide us (nor did we see) any sort of maid service. It's a small hotel, and I imagine that they don't call the maid in unless they are expecting guests. If you stumble on Casa Caletas at the last minute, as we did, you may not be able to enjoy those things that require the services of additional employees (such as the restaurant or a maid service). I, personally, did not find this to be much of a problem. Second, there is very little around Playa Coyote and Casa Caletas;' it is almost completely undeveloped, and it can take awhile to get to. If you want a beach all to yourself, to relax and focus on the natural beauty of Costa rica, this is the place for you. If you are looking for nightlife and action, sticks with Tamarindo or Montezuma. For my money, it's a great way to spend a couple of days.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JG7957
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 8 November 2010

After reading the negative reviews its evident that the individuals writing those reviews haven't really stayed at the hotel. This must be some group of individual that are trying to stir up controversy for their own cause. How would they know so much about the ownership and deatils of the area.
We have stayed at Casa Caleta several times and have recommended to all my friends and their experience was the same as ours. I don't know who and why someone would use this format to wirte a review when they have never stayed in this hotel. All you need to do is visit this place and see why we continue to return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank porsche89ski
London
Reviewed 26 January 2010

A similar experience to the earlier reviewer - my friend and I were attempting to make it to Santa Teresa from Nosara and after hours of driving down dirt roads and nearly drowning in a couple of rivers trying to cross, we had nearly resigned ourselves to having to sleep in the car, when we discovered Casa Caletas, the only place around for miles. We were very impressed - we were offered a discounted room rate which was very generous considering we had no bargaining power (as they informed us the tide was too high to cross that night), and shown to our air conditioned room. I could not have asked for a better wake up in the morning - a very chill atmosphere with beautiful views, a nice breakfast in the shade, and a little swim, and we were on our way the next day.

A perfect stop on a road trip. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank toan6ca
New Jersey
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We've stayed at Casa Caletas three times over three years. Once we got to stay in the Owner's Suite, which is complete with a kitchen, living room, laundry facilities, and a plunge pool outside. But all of the rooms have great views of the Estuary. The food is good, although we're always there with a rental car so we tend to check out some of the local eateries in San Miguel, Costa de Oro, or Caletas. I was compelled to write the review, however, because of the integrity of the staff. We'd already checked out and were at the little grocery store in San Francisco when I realized I'd left my WEDDING RING behind... (I sometimes take it off at night and leave it on the nightstand). We sped back to the hotel, and the staff had already cleaned the room. We looked all over and didn't find the ring... I was about to go rummaging through my luggage to see if I could find it, when the woman who'd cleaned the room came racing over from the laundry facility... turns out it had been in the sheets, which she'd scooped up and brought to be cleaned. She could have very easily said "lo siento", and told me she didn't find it. Those are the moments of truth that tell you the character of a people and a place.. I am very grateful to Casa Caletas and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank erwiji
Santa Monica CA
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Okay, all else equal this place would get a 5+.

We stayed there for 5 nights, and had more fun each day. Us: my husband and I and our 10 yr old girl and almost 3 year old boy. The place is small and in an amazing site. Its on an estuary that is full of life. We saw cool new wildlife every day--monkeys, giant iguanas and all a manner of birds. The hotel has kayaks for you to take as you like out the 300 yards to the beach, and if you look, even a life preserver for the little guy. We discoverd we loved trying to surf the kayaks on the very gentle waves. It is part of a ranch, so you can ride horses, to beautiful vistas. They have an 'infintiy' pool, small and simple, completely gorgeous, and really fun. They have some pet tiny Nicoya deer, who are very friendly, and which the childrent were nuts over. So charming! We were all very happy the whole time.

Eating: The restaraunt's fine, but very overpriced (like Tanga's on the beach) compared to the restaraunts in San Francisco nearby. They have this amusing habit of forgetting part of your meal often, but they are very nice-you just need to remind them.

Rooms: The rooms are reasonably clean, just some spots behind doors that dont get much attention. They are not gigantic, and the loft ladder is enough to give anyone with young kids a bit of heartburn, but with rules and blockades it was OK.

Another amusing thing--I emailed for directions before I left to the reservationist and got back--I am not joking--"I have no idea (how to get there)"!!! They never gave me directions...I wish I had known--buy the best map you can get your hands on and you'll be fine. The rental car map is amusing--it has towns on it that dont seem to exist, and the ones that do arent on there. No big need for GPS though. Oh yeah and check that they charge you the rate they quoted in $$ not more because of some exchange rate glitch.

So all of this and they would easily score a 5+. The big issues for us are all in the environmental impact area. The (German) ranch owners also owns the land abutting playa caletas, a long beach that is supposed to be protected endangered turtle habitat. They don't respect the easment, and they converted the wetlands immediately adjacent to corn fields. This is a major nesting site for the nearly extinct leatherback turtle, as well as several other species.
The hotel also blasts a giant light across the estuary in the eve. It looks beautiful, but it is hard on many critters who are confused by the light.

• Liked — the location, the kayaks, the pool, the tiny deer
  • Disliked — the eco issues, some issues with cleanliness, no decaf coffee
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nicoya
Hotel El Regalo
#1 of 7 in Playa Carrillo
The Hideaway Hotel Playa Samara
The Hideaway Hotel Playa Samara
#1 of 16 in Playa Samara

Been to Casa Caletas? Share your experiences!