“I expected a little more but it was alright.”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 January 2012

First the good:
The location is amazing, the grounds are lovely with tropical vegetation, a lot of wildlife (HUGE Iguanas everywhere just hanging out!), and a very nice beach. The rooms are very nice and the bathroom/shower were even better. The pool is huge but cold. Being all inclusive is a plus when you want to hang out at the wet-bar drinking all sorts of fruity drinks (Try them all! :)) all day long. Breakfast buffet was freakin delicious! I swear all my weight gain was from it. They have a wonderful instructor for all the "classes" named Kenny. He was energetic and fun during water-aerobics and did a good job with the beach yoga class.

Now the bad: The restaurants weren't very good (Except for the pizza place). Service was pretty bad but I must admit that this feeling was caused by one particular event - During our dinner at the "Mediterranean" restaurant we were asked to fill out a Comment Card. On it we wrote that the menu could be more authentic, mentioned that our waiter stopped by only once after we got our food, and that the salmon wasn't fresh like the waiter told us AND it was overcooked. The hostess ("Fernanda") then took our card and walked 10 feet from where we were sitting and started reading it!!! How uncomfortable, unprofessional and rude!!! As she read it one of the chefs came by and they both gave us a couple of awkward glances. Again, this was probably the worst experience but none of the staff except for a few seemed genuinely happy to be there. The bartenders were very nice and were very appreciative when you tipped them. The best waiter was "Fransua" at the "Asian" restaurant who was extremely nice and attentive. He made great conversation and good suggestions.

The beach vendors while knowledgeable and able to give you a better deal than the resort, could be annoying at times. Like I said though, they did give us a better deal and were very nice. It was rude when one of the boys on the beach helping us off the jet ski asked us to bring him a pizza from the resort.

I cannot comment on anything outside the resort since we never left it. We never went to the Kids Club since the 7 and 10 year old weren't interested. They were entertained by the pool, beach, and activities offered. They loved getting and trying all the non-alcoholic smoothies at the bars. We also had a blast on beach where we found tons of small hermit crabs!

In the end, Costa Rica is an amazing country to visit. Most of the people have a great attitude towards tourists asking if you enjoyed yourself and what you thought of Costa Rica. They always thanked us for visiting and it was never "Come back to where I work." it was "Come back to our country and see the rest of what it has to offer."

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank BonanaQueen

Reviewed 24 January 2012

First, we stayed on the week after christmas and we met people that were staying for a week before and they told us that it was a mess on the resort because of themajor renovation and restructuration. When we arrived they were set up and it's was better than the first week for them. Why to choose this resort over another one ?? It's a good question !! I'm going to give you my point of view and for the rest it's up to you !

1- If you travel a lot like us and you like white sands and crystal turquoise water it's not youre place !! The beach is a coral beach that's why it called playa conchal. The water is not warm even if it's very hot because it's the pacific ocean I think ?? The playa is not connected directly with the hotel and I didn't know it so I'm telling you it's not far but you have to go outside the resort to be on the public beach and at the time we were there it was very crowdy by the local people because of the holidays.

2-The service with the hotel is pretty bad in the restaurant and at the lobby too!! This hotel was a paradisus before and the staff is new and not trained enough to be a Westin place! When we arrived we asked to the person in the front desk if we had our king size bed in our junior suite room and He said yes but it's was not true ! We always asked to our travel agent to have a king size bed with an extra bed and we choose often the place with this possibility. When we arrived to the room my husband called the front desk to complain about the bed and the lying and they told us that they can't do nothing because they find another room but with no extra bed but it was another lie!! because we saw in our week there a guy in bicycle with an extra bed on transportation to a room !! and the people we met told us that the resort was at 30% occupancy at the time we arrived !! The service was very desapointing !!

3- The room was ok but the door in connection with the bathroom is a frosted glass door and you feel not very much intimity there ! The room is clean and the resort is very huge !! you have to walk a lot to go everywhere. They have transportation service but you have to take the time to call or to walk and grab one in your way if you can !

4- For us the pool is not very interesting because we are always on the sea and because of the sea over there we spent the full week by the pool and I can say that it's the most beautiful pool I ever saw ! You can hear a lot of birds and the surrounding is amazing with the extraordinary vegetation !!! The pool is to die for !!

5- The restaurants : Be aware that you have to make reservation in advance to go to the restaurant of your choice! I have to say that the menu of the restaurant are not very impressive for this big resort ! We tried the Italian, Asian and don't remember the other one but it's the one closest to the exit of the resort to go to the beach and for sure try this one for the Steak it's was very good!! I have to say that the taste of the food is pretty good but not enough variety in the menu. For the lunch you have the Coracola next by the pool and it's the same menu every day! There's a place to eat oven wood pizza and It's very popular!!! Everyone go take a box of pizza and the pizza is very good!!! Try the margherita pizza ! And you have the buffet and it's seem always the same dish everyday! Be prepared to wait a long time in the Italian restaurant before being served and they bring to fast the food after each service!! We asked 2 times in 2 restaurants to return the plate because we had'nt finish our plate before the next service.

6- Excursions : For us it was the most important thing with this trip the exploration of the Costa Rica but be aware that the most exciting excursions is very far from this hotel. We went to both Arenal Volcanoes and Monteverde and It's was a full very long exhausting day!!! We had to leave at 7 a.m and return at midnight for the first and the other is pretty much the same!!! We had a very bad experience with the company ARENAS ADVENTURE which sells the hotel excursions and the hotel don't assume the mistake of them and they write everywhere to not buy excursions with local people because you have no garanty with them and we had a problem with one excursion bought with the hotel because we didn't get what we paid for and the hotel declined their responsability over the company's mistake!! It's very expensive to take those excursions. For 3 it's was 560 US dollars for each one and it's not worth it at all!!! first, the bus was not comfortable at all for this long ride and the kind of road over there!!! don't be surprised if you don't see the volcano because you're not going to see it at all!!! The volcanoe is not the subject of this excursion. The subject is the story of the Costa Rica and If you are lucky you are going to see monkey's with a binocular and that's it!! You are going to walk in the rain forest but us it was the shortest trail and it was like we walked like in any forest! Nothing much to see!!! Very disapointing... because when you think about Costa Rica you see monkeys, parrots and a lot of wild life but with this excursion don't think about it!! The only thing Amazing was The tabacon's resort in the thermal water!!! if you can go there it's unreal!!!! The surrounding is incredible!!! you are in the jungle with this beautiful waterfalls everywhere and the water is very very hot!!! It's warmed by the volcano and it's a very beautiful place! With the exursion you stay an hour and a half with the lunch included!

I highly recommand to take tours with the guys outside the resort by the beach and ask for Alex Rabbit is a very great tour guide and He knows a lot about his country. He is a gentleman very polite and respectfull! We are very happy to have met him!! We did a ATV tour with him and He showed us a lot of great spots around the resort for a cheap cost and we finally saw our monkey's that we came to see and it was the last day! The tour was supposed to be 2 hours and we got to do an extra hour! Thanks to Alex:-)

Monteverde excursion : We bought another full day with the ARENA'S aventuras and we didn't get what we were supposed to have for the full day. The tour guide explained to us that we had to choose between zip line or the butterfly farm and snake and frogs place but in the brochure it said that we were supposed to do all the activities and this is the reason why we chose it but it wasn't that at all with a lot of difference between what we bought!! so we were angry and complained with the tour guide and He said that he can't do nothing about it. When we were back from this excursion my husband went to the front desk to talk about this because we payed another 560 US dollars and we were very frustrated and disapointed about all the tours. My hubby asked to be refunded for this one and the manager told my husband that He can't do nothing but give him a 20 % off!!!! What a shame for them but we are still working to have our money back!!!

The weather is very beautiful in this place of the Costa Rica. You can look around to compare the price and if It was me, I would wait to go back for now but maybe in a few months it's going to be different with balancing the staff and go back on track!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Luxytraveller
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal for 7 days. It was my 3rd trip to an all-inclusive and my boyfriend's first. He has been a long-time Westin member and was excited to check out their first attempt at an all-inclusive. The resort had all the small touches that make it unique to Westin. Wonderful decorating, attention to detail, friendly staff and exceptional food. We were in the Royal Beach Club area of suites which are more akin to a roomy hotel room than a timeshare/condo type accommodation. That section is also adult only so no children.
The rooms were clean and very well decorated. Our concierges, John and Jonathan were very attentive and made sure we had anything we needed; whether it was towels, directions, reservations or special requests. One evening my boyfriend even requested candles, flowers and champagne for our whirlpool and by the time we returned from dinner, our tub was beautifully transformed. The royal beach club exclusive restaurant, Faisonella was a delicious choice for breakfast and lunch with buffet options as well as made to order omelets and pasta.
Each restaurant on the resort requires reservations, except the pizza place, which are best made the night before to ensure a time you'd prefer. All the dinners we had were delicious although I'd say the low point was the asian restaurant.
Different than my other all-inclusive experiences, this resort did not have 24-hour restaurant dining. At certain times during the day or late night, your only option for food was the in-room dining menu which was limited to only about 6 items and after 7 days, you tire of those same menu options.
The resort itself was very clean and extremely well-maintained. Be aware that there are animals that do roam the resort. Raccoons, Coati's and a few stray cats but all are simply looking for food and pose no harm. The Coati babies are actually quite adorable. If you are lucky, you will also get to see the Howler monkeys there. They are pretty prevalent and when we were there, many of them had tiny babies. You will also notice beautifully colored iguanas around the resort especially on the sunnier days.
The beaches here are public so do be prepared that you will be asked if you'd like to take excursions from beach vendors such as fishing trips, ATV tours, massages or horseback riding. I didn't purchase any of these from the vendors on the beach but I talked to a few people who had massages from Norma on the beach and did say she did a great job at a very reasonable price.The vendors are mostly friendly and with a kind "no thank you" or "not today," they cordially leave you alone.
Around the resort, you can be picked up and taxied to wherever you would like to go by their transport trucks but nearly everywhere on the resort is a very quick walk except the main lobby.
For excursions, we went through Julio who has the stand right at the inside entrance to the beach. He was very friendly and set us up with both a scuba diving trip and an ATV tour up the mountain to the Pinilla Canopy Tour. My boyfriend loved the scuba diving trip and encountered the largest Manta Ray he had ever seen while diving, about 25 feet across and beautiful.
For the ATV tour we met up with Julio's cousin, Manrique, in the surfer town of Tamarindo, about 30 minutes away. From there we went on a very difficult ATV trek up the mountain through some pretty rough terrain. Worth the trip but maybe challenging for beginning riders. The Pinilla Canopy Tour was awesome! I was terrified of heights but their staff was very professional and fun and I was so thankful they encouraged me to be brave and do it. I would do it again in a second!
Drinks at the swim-up bars were awesome. Make sure you have them make you a fun colorful layered shot. I'd also recommend any of the mojitos that they make and the resort's sauvignon blanc is very good.
You have to check out the disco at night for the fun shows. They also have a live band and a DJ at night. Lots of fun!
Also if you want a quick jaunt off the resort for shopping or a different experience, the shopping in Tamarindo was great and only a half hour away. And if you walk down the beach about a mile and a half to the right, you will walk to Brasilito. A small quaint town with restaurants, bars, shopping and grocery stores.
The only things I would say were negatives about the trip was the Liberia airport is very primitive so be aware that the PA system is very quiet so you really have to pay attention to your flight info. Also, I wish the resort had offered more food options for in-room dining or restaurants during the "off-times." I also was disappointed that the pools would close during dinner hours at the Royal Beach Club so you were limited as to the times you could swim. However, during these times, if you went out to the main beach, there isn't a soul out there so it's perfect for a romantic stroll or swim.
Overall our experience was amazing. Very relaxing and fun with great food, great people and some great adventures! It was the best vacation I've ever had and I'll never forget it. We have already recommended it to several friends and relatives and hope to someday return!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoadWarriorGirl75
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Where do I begin to detail all the things that went wrong during our stay? First off, the rooms have a strong mildew odor when the ac is not going. We had to move from our first room, which had a strong mildew, almost sewage odor. They are not good about solving problems quickly and apologetically. Our fridge did not work. Then, our safe mysteriously stopped taking the combination we had been using the entire trip and we could not retrieve our electronics, money or passports. After an entire day of calling, they finally told us the master key was broken so they were getting a new one! What if we had to leave for the airport? Who knows when it will get fixed...We made arrangements the night before for transportation to the golf course and it took 2 more calls that morning for the ride to finally show up. When I was struggling with a pool umbrella a staff member came over to me and I thought he was going to help--instead he told me we could not sit in these chairs by the pool with our children--even though there was nobody in this area all morning! I felt insulted. Many problems with the layout of the room, not the least of which is no privacy in the bathroom area. There is no door in the main bathroom area and when traveling with a family this is a problem. Cold water did not work, water dripping on floor from ac...so many problems and not a gracious attitude about accomodating us. Staff seems defensive when pressed about resolution of problems. This is our first and last westin property that we will be staying at.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank mossywoods
Reviewed 24 January 2012

If you want to sit back and totally relax this is the perfect spot.Situated on a beautiful beach amid lush tropical foliage,monkeys screeching,birds singing,and not a care in the world.Your every need is seen to by the smiling staff.Your only worries are where and what to eat.With the many different choices of restaurants you will never be disappointed.A quiet stroll through the large grounds,or a swim in the huge lagoon style pool will leave you with a feeling of living in paradise.All needs were looked after by either Eric or Jonathan our concierges.One tip,eat before leaving for the airport,the food is very expensive,i.e.@29.00 u.s for one slice of pizza and chicken sandwich.Will surly return.

Room Tip: Royal beach room will put you close to pool and royal beach restaurant
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank meehanneil
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I just returned from 8 wonderful days at the Westin Conchal. I can't say enough good things about this resort providing you are seeking quiet, relaxation and not much in way entertainment unless you're a night owl. However, for us, we were looking for a beautiful atmosphere, friendly staff, good food and relaxation. I highly recommend the Royal Beach section - the staff goes out of it's way to make you feel special and housekeeping adds a special touch to your room and has it made as early as you like if you like siestas as I do during the heat of noontime. The restaurants were enjoyable and I think on the high end for an all exclusive and if you have to make a reservation daily then what you receive in return is a dinner that is not rushed and the staff has a small number of diners at a time to give you good service. We were fortunate to pick the Royal Beach Suite with a private marble jacuzzi on the balcony and it was heavenly taking a relaxing soak at the end of the day under the stars. The mattresses were indescribable, I looked forward to a great nights sleep every night - something I seldom get at home.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Beach Service - hands down it's worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The staff is wonderful and always accommodating. The smiles and warm personalities were always present. We stayed in the villas, which are situated like a small village.

• Stayed: January 2012
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Address: Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica
Region: Costa Rica > Province of Guanacaste > Playa Conchal
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Price Range: £287 - £919 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort 4.5*
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal