My wife and I have been searching through the caribbean area for the last few years for a upscale location with good golf and good scuba. Having been to Aruba, Turks & Caicos, and Cayman, we chose to try the Westin Playa Conchal this year.
This resort, the only all-inclusive in the Westin chain, exceeded our expectations- especially for my wife. Based on some other Trip Advisor recs, we chose to stay in the Royal Beach area, which is an adults-only area, with special service and a dedicated restaurant for breakfast and lunch, as well as a private pool area. We were not disappointed. Our room was spacious with a King bed, minibar, large bathroom area with daily maid service. Each of the two buildings have a "butler", basically a on site concierge to help with anything you need. John and Isaac did a great job for us here. Poolside, Nelson was always attentive for drink orders, lunch orders if you didn't want to go into the restaurant. The chaises were comfortable, always clean, plenty of towels and the pool was always being kept clean as well. A couple of days there were some groups at the swim-up bar that got a little rowdy, but not that bad.
The onsite restaurant for the Royal Beach area had a fantastic spread each morning for breakfast and the lunches were excellent as well. At night(5-6 nights per week) it served as an Italian restaurant open to everyone and had entertainment (sax/clarinet) each night. Jesus and others were wonderful with their service.
The whole property was beautiful with multiple villas spread out through the property. Each day there were 5-6 dinner options from French, Italian, Asian, Mediterrean, etc. The food, while not gourmet, was always good and the presentation and service was tops. Each day there were plenty of activities as well.
As far as the reasons we came-- golf and scuba. The golf at Reserva Conchal for me was the best of what I have seen in my previous trips. The course, a Robert Trent Jones design, was scenic, in great shape and challenging, especially since there was a lot of wind. My biggest complaint(get this) was that it was deserted! I played 4 days by myself because of the lack of guests coming to play. I played one day with some homeowners who indicated that it was far and away this best course in the Guanacaste area. Great practice facility as well.
Scuba: my wife dove for 6 days and said the diving was the hardest she had done, mainly because of the windy conditions and the choppy surf. The visibility, on this trip at least , was not as good as the Caribbean sites, like Cayman, Bonaire, but she saw tons of large manta, schools of fish. Her best part was the dive operator- Aquacenter Diving in Flamingo. She said they were the best operator she had been with ever(has done well over 100 dives in 8-10 different sites). Very small and attentive.
Overall, we loved our week long trip and although the scuba for my wife was not quite what she wanted, she feels the resort experience will over-ride that part when deciding about a return next year. Our trip, except airlines, was arranged through Bill Beard's Costa Rica. A private driver in Liberia met us for the 45 min. drive to the resort and from the moment we landed till we left everything, including diving arrangements and tee times, worked seamlessly. It was so easy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, West Indies, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal