This review is for a late November 2013 stay. My wife and three teenage sons went to the Westin Playa Conchal to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. The resort is beautiful, well maintained and on a nice beach. The kids loved the all-inclusive aspect and were ordering food pretty much throughout the day...they even ordered a steak via room service at 1AM! We ate at the Italian, Asian, Latin and buffet restaurants for dinner. The Italian and Asian were our favorites and found the Latin and buffet to be just OK. As others have stated it is key to reserve your restaurants as soon as you get there because they get filled up quick. Actually the resort staff was kind enough to allow us to reserve the Italian restaurant for the first night of our stay, a week prior to our arrival.
The staff was excellent and there are two main living areas at the resort. If you are going as a couples only, I definitely recommend staying in that part of the resort. Great service and access to the Italian restaurant for breakfast. Also, you have an adults only pool. In my opinion, the entertainment aspect lacks a little as far as active nightlife is concerned, but they do have a small bar/lounge that has a DJ everynight and we met some cool couples at the venue. Not a lot for teens to do in my opinion (especially at night)...but we are from Miami, so probably a lot of kids/teens that live in cold weather climates are more than content to be by the beach/pools.
For a family or as a couple excursions are a must. We used Memo Adventures and I can tell you that Memo the owner is 100% committed to customer service. He was extremely responsive to all of my e-mails leading up to our trip and answered all of my questions. We booked a deep sea fishing tour and all day zip line, horseback riding, mud baths, etc. tour. First the good: The zip line adventure day was amazing and the whole family had a great time. Additionally, Memo was our guide and he did a fabulous job and had everything perfectly arranged. Now the Bad: The fishing trip was a disaster (no fault of Memo...he basically finds a boat that is available and you go at it), and not even close to what we expected. First it was pretty expensive. Second it was ridiculously windy that day and in my opinion the trip should have been cancelled due to the wind alone. Lastly: me and the kids were actually expecting to do some active fishing but since it was deep sea fishing their technique is to mount 4 fishing rods in the boat, and keep the lines in the water till something bites (only one did and the mate grabs the rod, hooks the fish and then hands the rod to one of the kids to reel it in.) The rest of the trip we were tossed about on the boat and didn't catch a thing. Mid way through, my wife and kids were sleeping.
In general the biggest tip I can give is to fly into Liberia. We flew into San Jose and it is a 4 hour trip one way. What a mission!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal