“Exceeds all-inclusive expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
“Exceeds all-inclusive expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Top notch all inclusive! Just spent the week here & it was fabulous! The room was very spacious & well kept! The food definitely exceeds all-inclusive standards! However, my purpose for the review is for the guys in the "red shirts" on the beach! They booked all of our excursions for a great price & hassle free! What sets them apart, the arranged our transportation back to the airport from the hotel for about $30 cheaper than the regular taxi service. The clincher: on our ride back there was a tractor trailer accident the blocked the only road to the airport and our flight was in 2 hours! Our driver called his friend, he was there within minutes, and was able to get us to the airport on time! We couldn't have been more grateful, what wonderful people! I highly recommend this hotel and encourage people to book all excursions and transportation through the guys in red, great people!

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Jacquifaithf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,391)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

This place is awesome and I recommend it. The food is what really made it better then other resorts we have stayed. The raccoon and wild life were awesome, the pool is massive and the room was unique. Our dinners every single night were delicious. Burgers tasted like home and room service is GREAT for the morning. The golf course was worth the price ($120). If your going here, you should read this review, could be helpful.

Transportation - This was our one hiccup. We tried to rent a car and it did not work out - read any fine print!

Room - The room was great. Unique floor plan which we enjoyed, high ceilings, the room stayed cool when it was scorching outside. The bed and pillows were actually quite incredible. I slept like a baby all week. The shower was also great. Room service - Its fantastic for breakfast and you can pre-order the night before - that was AWESOME! I would highly recommend it. Its probably great for late night too, but if your up late around here, you'll be missing the best weather, always from about 8am to noon.

Beach - Awesome. Big and plenty of room. The beach is not owned by the resort, so many friendly locals are around. Others talked about being harassed, but we found everyone kind. Just say hello and "no thank you" or "maybe later". Easy. My first time in pacific waters and I though it was not going to have that tropical blue I love so much - but I was wrong. Deep blue and tropical blue all in one! Best of all it was super WARM! I loved the different sand. The snorkeling right by the hotel was unbelievable. Bring an underwater camera. Bring a water bottle and stuff with bread and fish will be all over you. The free rental equipment was really high quality and looked new to me, as long as your not getting the last mask or two...We paid for a great catamaran trip from the hotel where we went snorkeling too, fun, but I can not say enough how fantastic the snorkeling was and incredibly convenient. One of my highlights.

FOOD - Other then an underwater camera - this is the most important tip on my post. We went in the off season - I can only imagine how tough this would be for people when its crowded. YOU MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS. Its a must. The FIRST thing you should do when you arrive in your room is make dinner reservations for every night of your stay.

First, all the restaurants were more beautiful and much more delicious then other all inclusive resorts we have stayed (Riu Cancun and Ocean Blue PCDC). Some restaurants were grand - Italian and French, and some were more quaint, Latin and Asian.

Best and Worst Food - Latin and Italian were the best, hands down. The best meal I had all week - At the Latin Restaurant - the steak with balsamic and mashed (twice). The calamari app was also amazing (twice)! And the ckn caesar salad was one of the best I've ever had (twice) - not over dressed. Equally amazing both times - this is what really impressed me. The Italian food was also spectacular, a close 2nd, although I'll spare you the details. The buffet was OK and restaurants are a FAR better choice for dinner. If you eat at the buffet more then once a day, your missing out on better options. All the food was really good, but If I had too be a critic, if you go to the Asian restaurant, skip the sushi. Its basically like grocery store sushi here in the states - it was the worst thing I ate - but really not that bad. I did hear other food at the Asian place was good. The pool side restaurant was quite good - nachos were really good, burger tasted like home and the fries were on point - just what you need for a vacation lunch. Pizza bar was also nice for lunch.

THE HIGHLIGHT - RED SHIRTS - MEGA COMBO! The people by the beach who represent the Westin were fantastic. Helpful and friendly - not pushy at all. I appreciated this, even though it may not help the bottom line. They hooked us up with a GREAT catamaran sunset trip, which was only $5 more the RED SHIRTS. They were friendly with the free equipment and were helpful in explaining their trips, BUT there is no question that the best thing we did was go with the MEGA TOUR from the RED SHIRTS. I know the hotel does one, but I am about 99% confident it does not come close to the day trip we had. No slide - more people. I can not understand how we got all that we did for the price of $100 per person (originally $120 but more people means lower price!) This day trip was the HIGHLIGHT of our vacation. First - fairly comfortable 100 min drive back past the airport and into the mountains - an adventure in itself. Local stuff to see - it was cool. It started with a 20 or 30 minute horse back ride with some guides up the hill to the top of the zip line tour. Honestly, this was enough horse back riding for one vacation. Just enough so I could still walk....We arrive at the zip lines. Looks super dangerous! I was asking them to double check my new wife's harness. 10 lines - each one of them kinda unique. Maybe as high as 300 feet at some points! Incredible view. 4 or 5 great guides who made it way more fun. They were crazy. We heard from others with us what made this zip line better (our first times) was the length of the lines and the fact that you didn't have to wait for everyone to go down the next line. It was coordinated and we were always moving. Super fast, long lines and safe. Then we ride a tractor to the top of this massive waterside. It runs on hillside, homemade, and super fun. Its fast - its slow - its long - and ask to go twice - they will take you but may not offer. Apparently its the longest waterside in the country. Next we get fed a DELICIOUS lunch. Local food - amazing soup - amazing fish, perfect chicken, great plantains and dip and one of the best drinks I have ever had in my life - pineapple, white grape, mango, omg it was ridiculous. Some fantastic banana sorbet to finish - the locals cooked right in front of you - it was a cool experience. For $100 we should be long done but no. Its relaxation time. Lava mud, or whatever, rub it all over each other; feels nice on the skin, let it dry and clean off in a beautiful little river (the only cold water I felt for the whole trip) - then up to a MASSIVE hot springs pool. Maybe 80 yards long and 40 yards wide - HUGE. This was an amazing place. A huge, homemade pool - I know what you are thinking - it was clean. Crystal clear - the water is flowing though so it stays really clean. The one end where the water comes in, next to the pool bar, is super hot and feels amazing, and as you stroll to the other end it cools slightly. Monkey's and toucans in the trees - r u kidding! it was freaking heaven! FREE MASSAGES, ok with a "$10 tip" per. I forgot to mention free lockers to keep your stuff safe. 100 min home, and we're there in time for another amazing dinner at the resort. What a day. Still can not get over $100 per person for the day of a lifetime. RED SHIRTS - MEGA COMBO don't forget it.

Golf - So my wife got a little sick near the end, just a travel bug. On the last day she passed out at what us golfers call twilight - 2pm. Cost me $120 to play with a cart - water, towel and clubs. I did it right - here is what you need to do if you want to squeeze in a round as cheap as you can. Forget the clubs, leave them at home. BRING - Golf glove, enough balls, tees, and shoes. This could cost you another $50 $60 who knows! They have great rental clubs - looked brand new - wanted to take them home. The course is fairly nice. I know they are trying to stay green, but all the water hazards were bone dry. This was the only real issue I had. Course was unique and was a nice layout. A few greens were a little small. Course was wide open, it was like me and one other guy...Shot +3 on the back, so that was nice.

The spa - underrated! Its free if you don't get any massages etc. Great sauna, hot tub, steam shower, regular showers - loved it - and it was free - super relaxing.

In Short - Go to the Westin. Go snorkel with water bottle filled with bread, bring you underwater camera, order breakfast in bed the night before, go to bed early if you like good weather, book your dinner reservations especially at the Latin and Italian Restaurants, don't skip the spa, leave the clubs at home and go for the MEGA COMBO with the RED SHIRTS. Finally, dont be shy - order two dinners.

I was reading a review by some lady before my Punta Cana trip and she put this at the end and it stuck with me. Its not deep, its just irrefutable. "if you have enough money to take this trip, you have enough money to tip"

Room Tip: You want to be as close to the pool as possible. You should mention something at check in. I thankfu...
8 Thank Greg S
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

My family of 4 stayed here in April 2014 and really loved the beach, pool and activities. The only down side is that overall the food was nothing spectacular (which is typical for an all-inclusive).

Full disclosure - I can't vouch for the rooms at the Westin itself (other than from my colleagues, who weren't impressed). We were here for a company event and the hotel didn't have enough rooms for us so we were put up at the Reserva Conchal condos. The condos were absolutely amazing - 3 BRs, 2 full baths, full kitchen, family room, laundry and a deck overlooking the ocean. The BIG problem with this location was that it was too far to walk and the shuttles often took 15-30 min. Sometimes we waited 45 min to get a shuttle from the Westin lobby back up to the condo. So if you are at the pool and then need to go back for showers and then back to the Westin for dinner, you need to build in a LOT of extra commute time.

Anyway, the pool was great and was not crowded, not was the pool bar. Bartenders were always attentive. The one thing we didn't like as compared to many other all-inclusives we've been to is that there was no "quick" lunch spot. If you didn't want to blow at least an hour of your afternoon at a restaurant, you were out of luck. No buffet or quick pizza/burger/sandwich place. Speaking of pizza, the pizza restaurant near the pool is excellent but gets crowded and can have a wait.

Of the dinner restaurants, the Italian place was amazing! Since we had some company dinner events, we didn't get to try all the dinner places but the word from colleagues is that the Italian place was the best. NOTE: we called for a reservation somewhat last minute for that night and were told they couldn't get us in till 8:30. We rolled the dice and showed up at 7:45 and they sat us right away. There were many open tables so not sure what the deal was.

One minor annoyance is all the locals trying to sell you stuff the second you leave the Westin property and onto the beach. All beaches in Costa Rica are public so the Westin can't stop them. And be careful with personal items on the beaches as they will get stolen. We know of several items that were stolen while we were there. They seem to really like stealing shoes / sandals so don't leave them lying around!

I would highly suggest renting a car and seeing the rest of the country. This resort is in the dry beach section but the rest of the country is so diverse it is amazing. We spent 4 days at the resort and 6 days driving all over the country. There is so much to see and do for the adventurous families!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Mark A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

My family and I spent 5 wonderful days at the Westin and very much enjoyed our stay. The staff was wonderful, the rooms were comfortable and very clean, and the food was terrific! Seriously, for an all-inclusive, the food was some of the best that I have had at any resort. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Carmel, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

My wife & I stayed here for our honeymoon and I'm glad we did! We stayed in the Royal Beach Club and it was definitely worth the upgrade. Rooms were spacious (awesome bathroom!) and the bed was so comfortable! It was nice to have a quiet pool to relax in to avoid the ruckus of the main hotel pool. Poolside cocktail service was a nice touch too. You're also allowed upgraded liquors being in the Royal Beach part.

We've been to several AI's throughout the Caribbean, but The Westin by far had the best food! Everything was so fresh! All the restaurants were great! Room service was great too! We tried the buffet for breakfast one morning but there was a line to get a table and way crowded. From then on, we ordered room service. And I'm glad we did! Can't beat breakfast in bed! :)

Just like everyone else, we tried the $20 massages on the beach and they were great. Nice & relaxing. We booked our excursions through Erik Garcia and he was a pleasure to deal with. Make sure to negotiate with him on the prices. He gave us a great deal. The beach is beautiful, and the golf course is tough! We played a round and we lost a few balls!

The only downside to this resort is the nightlife. They need to invest in more nightlife options after your dinner reservations. The "nightclub" is small and was nearly empty each night. The nightly shows weren't interesting. But other then this, this place is paradise! Very beautiful! I highly recommend!

Sleep Quality
4 Thank locolos13
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

My new wife and I chose this resort as our honeymoon location and we absolutely loved it! So so so very close to being perfect. There were a few hiccups during the stay and I'll outline pretty much everything I can in this review. My favorite part...all inclusive! The resort stay, the food, and all the drinks, included!

TRANSPORTATION

The hotel listed a transportation company on it's website, but the price was outrageous. It was $90 per person/each way ($360 for 2 people round trip). I found another company called AirportTransfersCostaRica.com. The service was great. It was $150 for both of us round trip. You send your flight information and they will send a reply with the information you need. It is also private transportation! It was just the two of us for the 45 minute shuttle. The service was great and the driver was informative and friendly.

PRE-ARRIVAL/ARRIVAL

Before I even arrived, the hotel reached out to me (b/c of Platinum status) and asked if there was anything special I requested on my upcoming stay. I simply stated that it would be my honeymoon and anything special would be nice. I was upgraded from a deluxe junior sweet to a royal beach villa (adults only section of the resort). I also provided my restaurant choices and they booked reservations for my stay for every night and restaurant I requested. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was greeted and I provided my name. I was told to take a seat and wait for the manager. I was greeted by the manager, congratulated on my honeymoon, and welcomed and upgraded yet again...this time to the Presidential Suite. We arrived before the room was ready so we were taken to eat at the lunch buffet until the room was ready. After lunch, the manager personally took us to our room and carried our bags as well as gave us a room tour. The hotel did some very nice things since it was our honeymoon such as giving us a special table with flowers for dinner and leaving champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the room along with a jacuzzi filled with rose pedals.

ROOM

The room was phenomenal. It was over 1,000 square feet. Upon entrance, there was a windowed sun room with a couple recliner beach-type cushioned chairs. There was a dining room with 8 chairs and a mini fridge (restocked daily). There was a desk and chair and another chair plus an ottoman. Also, there was a big couch with tables and another table and chairs. There were 2 TVs, 2 night stands, 2 dressers, 2 FULL bathrooms and a separate jacuzzi tub with a view of the outdoors (in its own little sun room extension). There was a closet, a safe, iron and board, hair dryer, coffee maker. This room had everything.

RESORT

The resort itself was beautiful. There was wildlife everywhere. We saw howler monkeys in the trees, varieties of birds, iIguanas, and Coati (like an American raccoon). The swimming pools were great. The main pool was the biggest pool I'd ever seen...it's huge! There was also a pool bar and the wait was never very long. There were lots of chairs around the pool and we never had an trouble getting a chair either. They have activities poolside. The resort was constantly pretty quiet. It was facing the ocean and baking to the mountains. The staff was very nice and most of them spoke good English. There was a little language barrier a few times but it was not a problem at all. There are also guards at night making sure no one that is not staying on the resort comes off the beach (it's a public beach) to the resort. The beach was also very nice. Some of the sand is rough but when you see the view, it won't even matter. The resort will also carry lounge chairs down from the resort to the beach. And speaking of the beach, you will get haggled a little bit by those on the beach. Some are selling things and others are offering massages. I was skeptical but for $20 I was very surprised...it was phenomenal! Oh, and the resort also has free kayak and snorkel rentals too!

EXCURSIONS

Speaking of the beach, when you go down there you will be approached by either Eric Garcia or one of his crew. He is a local and runs his own excursion company. It it much cheaper than the one on the resort AND everything is private. When you go with Eric Garcia it will just be your group and no one else where as when we saw other tour groups out there, there were many people mixed together. His group is very knowledgeable and nice. We did the Mega Tour ($145 per person) which was 1.5 hour drive, horse back riding (20 min), zip lining (10 lines), a mud bath, a hot spring, lunch (appetizer/salad/soup/meal), 1.5 hour drive back. The ATV Tour (leaves from resort on beach) lasts 1.5 hours and is $50 per person. You ride through the local areas, the beach, and off roads. The third we did was the River Tour ($85 per person). It was 1.5 hour drive, then we went out on the river on a boat and saw a bunch of monkeys and crocodiles...up close! Keep in mind, all these tours are private!

FOOD

There were a bunch of different restaurants (8 I believe) but certain ones are only open certain days so you need to pre-plan your meals a little bit. Definitely make reservations as soon as you arrive to ensure you get to eat where you want. We did not eat at all the restaurants. We found our favorite to be Bamboo (Asian) followed by ltalian. At Bamboo (we ate here 4 times), we had spring rolls and fried dumplings (spring rolls better), spicy chicken soup, spicy shrimp salad, chicken and chestnut stirfry, pad thai (stirfry was better) miso soup, Alaskan roll and spicy Tuna (both sushi) and fried banana and fried ice cream (ice cream better). The fried ice cream was the best I've ever had. At the Italian place we had chicken parm, tortellini (not so good and tasted like seafood), risotto (couple different kinds-both good), fruit salad. We had dinner once at Las Candelas but did not care for it and found the food to be bland and regular. We also went to a BBQ buffet one night at Coracola restaurant. Their idea of a BBQ is different from mine as the food was simply cooked on a grill, which I guess they classify as a BBQ. They had chicken/steak, beef stroganoff (but no noodles), rice/potatoes, rolls, assorted desserts. We left and got last minute reservations at Bamboo. The breakfast buffet at Mitre was good. They had made to order omelets, bacon, sausage, sweet potatoes, waffles, pancakes, cereals, breads/rolls, fresh fruit. Mitre also had a lunch buffet that had many items to include things like quesadillas, stirfry, fish, crapes The best spot for lunch was at Spirulo (pizza/pasta poolside). The pizza was fresh made right in a brick oven. The meatball/pepperoni, pepperoni, bbq chicken, avocado (very strong oil flavor). The had a pineapple cake with red sauce that was tasty as well as assorted sorbet. Room service was pretty good and fast. We ordered twice and both times got it in less than 45 minutes (once for breakfast and once for dinner). The food was actually good. Just remember, all the food is included so order as much as you like!

SHOWS

They had some type of show each night or live music. We went to see two different shows. The Folk Dance Show was good. It lasted about one hour and gave us a clear insight into the Costa Rican culture and how they do their native dancing. The other show we went to was awful. It was hyped up to be some magic show and there were pictures of the magician posted all over. When the show started, it was not the same. I'm not sure if the actual magician called out and they needed a quick replacement or what the situation was. This guy was called Jim the Magician. The show lasted 30 minutes. The guy spoke in monotone, and did some tricks you might see at an amateur show. I was highly disappointed as I've always been thrilled with magic shows and was expecting something...else.

BAD

We has a few issues on the resort during our stay. One was a lighting issue. It was dark where we were staying and two path lights were out. We had to report the situation 4 separate times in order to get light bulbs replaced. The resort claims to be smoke free (but you can go to the public beach to smoke). There were people smoking around the resort and employees would walk right by without saying a word. One night we can back to the room to no running water with no advance notice. After reporting it they stated it went out and would be out for a little while. The BIGGEST problem (to me)...we went to dinner and a show to come back to a letter on our bed. We had a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door as we did not want anyone in our room. Someone from Swiss Travel (the travel company on the resort) came into the room and put a letter on the bed regarding a tour for the next day. We never signed up for a tour with the company nor was the name on the letter ours. I was furious that someone had come in the room and called to complain and they tried to push it off. Also the one night during a storm, the power went out and stayed out for over 7 hours in the middle of the night. I complained and they stated they had back-up power and I inferred as to why it never came on and they stated it was a bigger power outage and even the backup wasn't working. Our theory, they weren't gonna waste the generators in the middle of the night when most people were sleeping but it was a dark pitch black night and the fact that you literally could see nothing nor leave the room was an uneasy feeling. It was a blackout.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JonnyBlaze777
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is an awesome hassle-free resort. We were in the Royal beach Club area for adults only, not crowded, relaxing, impeccable but not overbearing service, pretty much the best place I have ever been do - especially the all inclusive structure works out very well with very high quality and it is nice not to be nickled and dimed every 5 minutes. The spa is also one of the best I have ever visited.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Conchal
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,946 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!