“Great place to stay with lovely breakfast and pool”
Review of Laura's House

Laura's House
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very nice large clean room with hot water, A/C, fan, screens over windows, includes delicious breakfast, has a cold water pool and only one block from the beach and a little ways from town but walkable. It's quiet there, only a rooster and the ocean waves to greet you in the morning. We really liked the people there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole V

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I am a long time traveler and infrequent poster to Trip Advisor. This is my first negative review. It’s also the first in which I’ve taken time away from my vacation to post. But my family was treated with such callous disregard by Laura’s Guest House I felt compelled to let you know LAURA IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND, FAR WORSE, UNCARING. Here is my story: I booked a room for my family at Laura’s Guest House through Hostels.com. I used Hostels.com becuase Laura was incredibly slow in responding to my e-mails seeking to book directly with her. In retrospect, I should have taken that as a warning and stayed away. About a month after I booked, I received an e-mail from Laura and one from another employee, both of which informed me that I had been booked at the normal season rate and not the high season rate. Many, if not most, hotels would have simply eaten the roughly $25 difference. But not Laura. Nonetheless, by this time there were no rooms to be found so I responded to both e-mails stating that I would pay the higher rate.

We arrived at Laura’s in the dark at roughly 6 pm only to find the property’s gate locked and not a soul to be seen. Eventually a young woman came up and introduced herself as the owner’s daughter. She was accompanied by a young man I took to be her boyfriend. We explained we had reservations and had put a deposit down on a room. The daughter called Laura and informed us, “she says the reservation is cancelled.” It took two more phone calls by the daughter before I was even able to get to speak to Laura. All Laura did was attempt to blame Hostels.com. Never once did she so much as apologize. Instead, several times she said our lack of a place to stay was “not my [Laura’s] problem.” She claimed to be sick and refused to even come down and talk to us.

Any reasonably ethical hotel owner would have at least offered to ensure our deposit was refunded. But not Laura.

Any responsible hotel owner would have at least offered to help us find another place to stay. But not Laura. I had to badger her repeatedly before she finally grudgingly said she would “make a call.”

Any reasonably compassionate person would have at least let us on the property and watched our luggage while we looked for another place. But not Laura.

By this time my two young daughters were crying. I told Laura but still she left us standing in the dark on the side of the road. Throughout this, the only person who made any real effort to help us was the boyfriend, who started calling other hotels. I left my family and walked down the road inquiring of other hotels. None had rooms but several offered more assistance than Laura had. By the time I got back, my wife and kids were on the property of the hotel across the street from Laura’s. My youngest daughter had had to use the bathroom and the hotel not only let her use the bathroom but when they heard our predicament, made my family comfortable while they waited for me to return. By the time I got back, the boyfriend had found us a room, albeit at a rate almost double Laura’s high season rate. He had left by then so I didn’t have a chance to thank him.

I have traveled the world over, mostly in third world countries, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the hotels I would advise travelers to avoid at all costs. Laura’s Guest House is one of them.
In fairness to Laura, Hostels.com has not covered themselves in glory either. They have not bothered to respond to my e-mails about this. But regardless, Laura obviously had my e-mail address because she e-mailed me about the hirgher rate she wanted to charge but she but couldn’t be bothered to inform me she had unilaterally cancelled my reservation. But even worse than her shoddy business practices was her complete refusal to attempt to remedy the situation. To leave a family with two crying little girls standing in the dark on the side of the road is abhorant behavior from anyone, but from a hotel owner it is absolutely inexcusable. Whatever you do, I urge you DO NOT STAY AT LAURA’S GUEST HOUSE.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
23  Thank BianchiDad
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We very much enjoy our stay at the bed and breakfast. The breakfast was great with fruit and unlimited coffee. We really appreciated Rosita's fine service. The room was well kept. My only complaint is that the airconditioner poured cold air on the double bed so the person in that bed froze if the conditioner was kept on. If turned off then the room became too warm. Needs to be moved. The pool was wonderful to cool off in.

Room Tip: Look for a room that doesn't have air conditioner above bed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights with 4 persons, 2 adults, 2 children. The pool was a hit! Rooms are clean, breakfast is OK, location super. (100 mtrs away from main street where it is very noisy.)
Not all of the staff does speak English but they are very helpfull anyway)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is the forth year we have stayed at Laura's House. We love Laura, her family and staff. They are so welcoming and extremely helpful and caring. The rooms are always comfortable and clean. The swinging chairs are great for just sitting and relaxing and the pool is a great place to cool off in. The location is perfect. You are just a short walk from the beach as well as from town. The options for breakfast are great. Laura is always willing to share her knowledge of Costa Rica,and because of that we have visited many interesting places we may not have found otherwise. We appreciate being able to park inside a locked compound for the night. Just as Costa Rica never disappoints us, neither does Laura's House. Thank you for everything Laura. See you next year!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I have mixed feelings not just about this place but the whole area of Playas de Coco. We stayed there only one day and one night (even though planned more) and left more south (Montezuma) because we didn't like the beaches (too black and dirty), the atmosphere (fires made in the street by locals, dirt, big holes in the street where you could get injured when walking in dark (it gets dark very soon in Costa Rica!)
We had a room for 55 $ and it had a view on a small courtyard filled with empty bottles of beer (so it was covered with a curtain). We had a very small breakfast and were happy to leave this area.
I think if you like Playas de Coco, Laura's house is ok to stay. We were negatively influenced by the area as such, but I can't say anything negative about the hotel. It's just ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eva_kvetinka
Reviewed 7 February 2013

What a great place! The price is great, it's clean, 5 minute walk to the beach and to all the restaurants and bars. Great air con, a safe, and rooms can accommodate 4 people. Also a small breakfast included, but there is a full menu for breakfast. Cute property, and well maintained. I also like the locked gate at night. Made us feel safe! I recommend to anyone on a budget or just want a cheap and good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 11 in Playas del Coco
Hotel El Velero
Hotel El Velero
#3 of 11 in Playa Hermosa

Been to Laura's House? Share your experiences!