“Beyond Expectations!”

Villa Buena Onda
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playas del Coco
“Beyond Expectations!”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Our stay in Villa Buena Onda for our anniversary was a perfect! The view of the Pacific from our room was amazing. The friendliness of the staffs and their customer service are beyond expectations! We felt so comfortable, just like we were in our home except better! The food, cleanliness, and drinks were excellent. Definitely will return on our next visit to Costa Rica and look forward to see them again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I decided to travel to Costa Rica on a whim and it was the best trip I've been on ever! As a young, single female who hasn't studied Spanish in more than 8 years, a lot of my family and friends were worried about my safety. But, the staff was in the airport awaiting my arrival with huge smiles and they were beyond accommodating during my 6-day stay! I can't say enough about what a pleasure it was to stay there and in one of the Ocean View suites. The villa looks exactly as it does in the pictures and the entire venue is eco-friendly right down to the bathroom goodies (organic shampoo, conditioner, soap) that I wish I could've bottled and taken home -- nice touch! The other great thing is the Villa has only 7 rooms! I was lucky enough that for the majority of the trip (4 days) I only shared it with one other couple so it was exactly the serene retreat I was hoping for.

The food was so good! I recommend the seafood soup if it's on the menu. I had it every day for dinner! Chef Gabriel even obliged my request to join him in the kitchen to learn how to make it (along with the rest of the meal).

While there, I went on the Borinquen tour, which included horseback riding, zip lining, lunch and hot mud/springs. It was well worth every penny! On the return ride home, my driver even stopped along the road so I could try raw sugar cane and jocote! I also did Ashtanga yoga and received a massage on the villa deck. I went into Playa del Coco for a facial and for drinks and live music to interact with the ticos!

I can't say enough great things about my stay...especially the entire staff (Javier, Matelia, Gabriel, Luis, Jennifer...I'm missing a few so sorry)!!! They went out of their way to make me feel welcomed and their English is very good (although I asked them to speak to me in Spanish so I could brush up on my skills -- that was an adventure in itself)!

I would return to Villa Buena Onda again and again and have already suggested it to my friends! You will not be disappointed.

P.S. The is the first review I've ever written, which goes to show just how important it was to me to recommend this place!

Room Tip: Both the pool view and ocean view rooms are great. For a few dollars more, spring for the ocean view...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Natalie D
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My boyfriend and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about our experience at Villa Buena Onda. We stayed here for four nights in May 2013 and were blown away by absolutely every aspect of the stay. First off, the entire staff at Villa Buena Onda deserves major accolades for their customer service, friendliness, and overall professionalism and expertise in accommodating their guests. Every one of the people working at the villa would do anything possible to make their guests’ stays as enjoyable as possible. From the moment we disembarked from our transport van, we were treated like royalty! :)The Guest Services Manager, Dayana, welcomed us right away, accommodated us in many ways, and Cristian, one of the restaurant staff, immediately brought us cool towels and fruity drinks as refreshments. (Shout out to Cristian – we miss learning Spanish from you!) The property and villa are breathtakingly beautiful – even more so in person than in photos. Everything is new, modern, and impeccably clean. The layout is perfect – warm open air in the common areas but air-conditioned by the suites. The suites are spacious and extremely comfortable – especially the beds! The all-inclusive meals were a big standout - Chef Gabriel and the rest of the restaurant staff are extraordinarily talented and every single meal was perfection. My favorite on the breakfast menu was the namesake “Villa Buena Onda” – Two eggs any style topped on a homemade corn tortilla, re-fried black beans, pico de gallo, avocado, and cheddar cheese. Simply delicious. On the lunch menu, I adored the mahi mahi ceviche & ahi tuna salad. For dinner, the beef & chicken pinchos and chicken cordon-bleu (a special one night) were to die for. We cleaned our plates every single meal. Over the course of our stay, we came to befriend many of the villa’s wonderful and talented staff: Luiz, the villa’s driver, who is incredibly funny and sweet; Gabriel, the extraordinarily gifted head chef; Javier, another delightful member of the restaurant staff; Jennifer, the General Operations Manager (and her adorable little pup, Tika!); and of course, Cristian, or “Cola” as he is nicknamed. :) Cristian is an outstanding bartender and we really enjoyed getting to know him. The housekeeping staff, Migdalia and Rosa Maria, were also very kind and friendly and made our rooms look beautiful every morning. Another highlight of our stay was getting to meet and play with Dayana’s two loveable Dachshunds, Téo and Matéo (father and son!). They are so funny and sweet! There are many activities to partake in close to the villa (we enjoyed a fantastic hidden beaches/snorkeling tour & BBQ) that Dayana can provide information about as well. Overall, we had an unforgettable stay and would 100% recommend Villa Buena Onda to anyone looking for a taste of Costa Rica in luxury! Thank you to all for making our time there such a terrific experience – we hope to return someday!

Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently stayed at Villa Buena Onda for my 30th birthday with two friends, I was not sure what to expect when staying there, I had read all the reviews on here and thought could it really be that good? It was! Upon arriving Jennifer greeted us with fresh towels and a welcome drink, just what we needed after the long drive up the Pacific Coast! The service never changed from that moment on, they were so attentive to our needs and made sure we were really well taken care of! We had the two bedroom suite which for a group of friends is perfect! It felt like we had a whole wing of the hotel to ourselves and I loved the easy access to the pool. The beds were great, I was sad to leave the comfortable mattresses and fluffy pillows!

Most of my time was spent in the pool drinking delicious cocktails made by Javier or Cristian, both incredible bartenders! While leaving the villa is hard, the great thing about the area and the shuttle they provide is that you get access to 3 beaches not just 1!

Now to my favorite part-the food, we had delicious meals for every meal, but my favorite was the seared-tuna! Make sure to try this if you are fish lover! Also the fish tacos are delicious and who doesn't love waking up to a plate of banana pancakes?

I really enjoyed Villa Buena Onda and hope that I will get to come back soon!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dbecka7
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We had a great trip to Costa Rica organized by Costa Rica vacations. The best place we stayed was the Villa Buena Onda. The view was beautiful, the food and service excellent. The staff did everything to make sure you felt at home. It was great to relax in the pool or dine outside and see the beautiful flowers and ocean. It is close to 3 beaches which they provide a shuttle for. This is by far one of the best places we have ever stayed and would love to go back just to relax. We highly recommend this beautiful hotel. Our thanks to Dayana Jennifer Luis Javier and Christian! They were wonderful! Go see for yourself! You will love it!

Room Tip: There are rooms with hammocks outside your door. If you like to just relax ask for one of those.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank omysteve
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We just got back from our honeymoon at Villa Buena Onda and can't express how perfect everything was. We were upgraded to an ocean view suite with the best view of the ocean. The room was spectacular and the shower also had amazing ocean views. Beds were extremely comfortable as well. The rest of the villa was like our own private hillside mansion with views from every room and a great pool! I can't say enough great things about the property.

The food was also delicious. Lots of fresh ingredients and presented beautifully on the plates. We definitely ate well while we were there. My favorites were the Coco's Poached for breakfast, the Mahi Mahi Ceviche for lunch, and the Red Snapper for dinner. My husband enjoyed the Banana Pancakes the most out of everything:) All in all, we tried almost everything and it was all delicious. Not to mention the freshest fruit and coffee we have ever had!

Last, but definitely not least, was the people and the service. Everyone who works at the Villa is so nice and accommodating. They cater to whatever you need and always do it with a smile. Luiz is the driver a the resort and he is a joy! During our daytime excursions, he was sure to point out any landmarks and also pulled over to get some fresh sugar cane for us to try. What a treat!!

Dayana was also so helpful and nice. She helped us plan our volcano, cruise and surfing excursions. She was very knowledgeable about the area and very sweet. A highlight was when she brought her dogs to the Villa. Teo and his son would play around the lobby and it was one of the cutest things I have ever seen. My favorite moment was when the little puppy took a siesta on my lap. They are the sweetest dogs and wish I could have seen them more!!!

Christian and Javier were excellent bartenders/servers. They both make an AMAZING Mojito as well as other drinks. Christian did his best to help me learn and speak Spanish (although I don't think I did very well at all.) They were great to talk to and joke around with. Both were a pleasure to get to know!

Jennifer really did it all as the manager. We helped out where ever she could and always asked us how are day was going or if we enjoyed our excursions. She also showed us one of our favorite memories from the trip as she recommended we go to watch a live band at Hermosa Beach play at night while an artist painted a portrait on the beach. It was all improvised and we felt like we were experiencing the real Costa Rica. It was amazing and all thanks to her! She also introduced us to Chili Guaro that night too:) Jennifer's dog Tika is also adorable and will be sure to greet you at the door!

Overall, this was a trip we will never forget. It is absolutely true that they treat you like a guest, not a room number. If you are looking for personal, exceptional service - this is the place! Thank you to everyone at VBO!!

3 Thank Sarah M
Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I recently stayed at Villa Buena Onda and fell in love with it. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel not only welcome but totally spoiled. The property is gorgeous with amazing ocean views and the rooms are spacious with simple and elegant decor. The food was amazing and the service top notch. It was so nice to have Dayana as a personal concierge. She was attentive to any needs that we had. She organized the Hidden Private Beaches tour for us which I highly recommend. My iphone had gotten wet during our stay in the Arenal area and had been dead for several days. Dayana had someone in the town of Coco fix it for us overnight and it has been working perfectly ever since:) My son even commented that he felt like,"she would even fend off sharks for us"!
I would not hesitate to recommend Villa Buena Onda to anyone who wants to experience Costa Rica's North Pacific coast in style and comfort!

Room Tip: I took a peek at all of the rooms and they are all fabulous
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,625 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Villa Buena Onda? Share your experiences!