This was one of the hotels that partners with Rich Coast Diving, where my friend was diving. I am really picky with hotels, while she was on a tight budget. So when we saw the option of Toro Blanco, rated #1 on TripAdvisor and well-priced due to the Rich Coast discount, we were sold.
I was left questioning how this could possibly be so highly rated!
The room pictures provided by management look nothing like the actual rooms. The actual rooms look dingy & dated with scratched walls and old wool blankets covering the bed. The kitchenette is messy and cluttered, and I was hesitant to believe anything was washed.
Our first afternoon there, I turned down the bed and discovered wrinkled sheets with pieces of grit/ dirt, as well as several hairs. What this looked like to me was sheets that had NOT been changed after the previous guest. And when you are as picky with hotels as I am, this is enough to ruin a trip. I tried to talk myself into dealing with it, but a few hours later I realized this wasn't possible. No one was on duty in the office so I explained the issue to the security guard. He called the manager and offered us 2 different rooms. However, the all looked the same (with questionable cleanliness) and, unlike our current room, they were on the side of the hotel that fronts the clubs. The noise level is insane. Not wanting to go from one bad thing to another, I asked if I could just get new sheets. I was told no, the sheets are locked away somewhere and cannot be retrieved until morning. So I spent the night on my beach blanket.
In the morning, we discovered the issues with the bathroom. The shower did not drain properly so you were basically showering in dirty water. Also, we were given a different stained bathmat every day. And the toilet was also stained.
On a positive note, the pool and sitting area near the pool were gorgeous. The hotel location was ideal, an easy walk to the main strip. The parking area was free. And as animal lovers, my friend and I liked the very friends 3 dogs & a cat that roam around.
However, to me, the absolute most important thing is cleanliness. I do not feel comfortable in a hotel otherwise; I am anxious to even go back there at the end of the day. And Toro Blanco definitely did not have this. Beware.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Toro Blanco is a newly-built apart-hotel located a mere 50 meters away from the beach, and about a 5-minute walk to the main street of Playas del Coco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Toro Blanco Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Toro Blanco Hotel Playas Del Coco
- Toro Blanco Resort Costa Rica/Playas Del Coco