“Close to everything in Coco”
Review of Toro Blanco Resort

Toro Blanco Resort
Kansas City, Kansas
“Close to everything in Coco”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights in Toro Blanco. Reserved our room in June on the advise of our friend Gilbert who is a local Tico.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Small kitchenette, AC, and hot water. Nice private patio by the beautiful pool which is lit up at night.

My wife and I paid $60 US a night. Our neighbor said she paid $40. Maybe cause she was by herself..

The staff was friendly to us, but on the last night we we're entertaining some local friends on our patio early in the evening. I had accidentally broke a glass and my friend ( local Tico) went to get a broom from management only to get cursed by him. This really pissed me off the way the owner totally disrespected my friend who didn't break the glass and was only trying to help. I hope that this was an isolated incident because if this is the way they treat the locals I want nothing to do with Toro Blanco again.

It is noises on the weekend nights. Loud music from local bar in town. I had the AC on and a fan on to drown out the noise.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DannyM80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days of diving and loved it! Bright, clean rooms, lovely pool, and great patios for relaxing and having a bite to eat. The owner/manager was generous and attentive, he even gave me a lift to the dive shop in his golf cart. Three minute walk to the beach, and a great restaurant with pizza and cold beer right around the corner. Two thumbs up!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This hotel is a very very good bargain for the price. The room was always clean, had good AC and the staff were extremely friendly. I'm amazed that people have writen such bad reviews about the Toro Blanco. If you want a high end resort, then pay the extra money to stay at one and stop complaining. The Hotel sits just off the main road and is conviennt to everything in town including the dive shops and restaraunts. During the day it is very quiet and the central pool with wet bar is a great way to relax. I will say that the bars are near by and at night you can hear music, but it is not as bad as other reviers have made it seem to be. You could easily cover up the music with some soft white noise - the AC pretty much accomplished this. I really enjoyed my stay in Playas del Coco and if I'm ever back in town I would stay at the Toro Blanco again!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MKottmann
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Toro Blanco Resort
Is one of the best hotels in
Playas del Coco
Costa Rica
the rooms have good, quite AC units
the wifi signal is a bit spotty at times but works well once you've connected, the kitchen is a little small but everything works.
to take some pictures of some pretty cool monkeys that lives in the neighboring trees of the hotel.
Only about 100 years to the water where there's amazing scenery and underwater ocean life that will wow you.
I had a pretty amazing time and I will stay again.
Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel is not luxury by any means, but has everything you should need. The rooms were clean and had a few little extras most don't, like a coffee pot, hot plate, microwave and kitchen sink. Also each room has a decent sized patio with a large table. The pool was clean and someone was around all the time. The owner's dogs loved hanging out with the guests and for us made it feel more like home. There is some noise from the night clubs downtown, but my guess is you will not find a hotel in Coco that is 100% silent. We will definitely be staying at Toro Blanco again on our next trip.

Only thing we would have liked to have was a small safe in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank phoenixmstone
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My friend and I stayed at Toro Blanco for one week. Our first impression was good: clean and nice pool area with friendly staff. The room was ok, especially considering the low price. But what really impressed us was the staff. They were always really nice and friendly, but most of all, helpful. For example, we decided to rent a car for a few days to visit La Fortuna and they arranged everything for us. We literally only had to show up! We were also quite pleased because although many people had written on trip advisor that there was a lot of noise at night, we weren't bothered by it at all. Finally the proximity of the hotel to everything (restaurants, beach, etc) was really good. Overall, good hotel that I would definitely go back to and recommend for my friends traveling on a "low budget".

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Rahway, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This was one of the hotels that partners with Rich Coast Diving, where my friend was diving. I am really picky with hotels, while she was on a tight budget. So when we saw the option of Toro Blanco, rated #1 on TripAdvisor and well-priced due to the Rich Coast discount, we were sold.

I was left questioning how this could possibly be so highly rated!

The room pictures provided by management look nothing like the actual rooms. The actual rooms look dingy & dated with scratched walls and old wool blankets covering the bed. The kitchenette is messy and cluttered, and I was hesitant to believe anything was washed.

Our first afternoon there, I turned down the bed and discovered wrinkled sheets with pieces of grit/ dirt, as well as several hairs. What this looked like to me was sheets that had NOT been changed after the previous guest. And when you are as picky with hotels as I am, this is enough to ruin a trip. I tried to talk myself into dealing with it, but a few hours later I realized this wasn't possible. No one was on duty in the office so I explained the issue to the security guard. He called the manager and offered us 2 different rooms. However, the all looked the same (with questionable cleanliness) and, unlike our current room, they were on the side of the hotel that fronts the clubs. The noise level is insane. Not wanting to go from one bad thing to another, I asked if I could just get new sheets. I was told no, the sheets are locked away somewhere and cannot be retrieved until morning. So I spent the night on my beach blanket.

In the morning, we discovered the issues with the bathroom. The shower did not drain properly so you were basically showering in dirty water. Also, we were given a different stained bathmat every day. And the toilet was also stained.

On a positive note, the pool and sitting area near the pool were gorgeous. The hotel location was ideal, an easy walk to the main strip. The parking area was free. And as animal lovers, my friend and I liked the very friends 3 dogs & a cat that roam around.

However, to me, the absolute most important thing is cleanliness. I do not feel comfortable in a hotel otherwise; I am anxious to even go back there at the end of the day. And Toro Blanco definitely did not have this. Beware.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank majesty318
fedina48, Proprietario at Toro Blanco Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
I would like to make some clarifications concerning the review ..... first of all because it was not paid an amount for this reason you could have left the hotel without losing money, we have offered you others solutions but you didn’t want to change apartment, It was not seems been not too bad since you took several photos with our dogs. The fact that there are stained walls is due to use, each year we do maintenance to all apartments. Our hotel is in first place because we earned it with the good riviews and they are all authentics and written by our customers, it doesn't seem correct to insinuate that they are false. It is certainly not the Palace Hotel for that price, but it's clean and I feel sorry for you that you did not enjoy it, why don’t you stay at the Hilton next time? toro blanco resort