“saved us”

Toro Blanco Resort
Jersey City, NJ
“saved us”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

After running away from a filthy hotel that we had booked months ago, we arrived in Playas del Coco after dark. We asked a local store owner for a suggestion for a clean hotel. He immediately directed us to Toro Blanco. We were very pleased with the way we were greeted at the gate and shown a room. The room was very clean and efficient. It met our needs. (It could benefit from a new mattress and a restain of the counter top.)

We stayed at Toro Blanco two nights and were very satisfied with the location, lodging, pool, and management. Contrary to others' opinions, we found the cost reasonable. Location to town is great, even though it does get a bit noisy after dark.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I read the reviews of Toro Blanco before we left and I totally disagree with the people that were complaining about the noise and the cleanliness. The hotel is very close to the beach and all the restaurants and boutiques. We had a great time at Toro Blanco. Our room was just perfect for our need and we love the fact that we could relax outside our room and be right by the pool. The owners of the hotel Leo and Federica as well as all their staffs are very friendly and helpful. We needed a transportation to the bank on our last morning and they let me used their golf cart to get there. Leo also gave us a ride to a nice italian restaurant that same night. Yes, the owner don't speak english, but if you make an effort to speak with them, we manage to understand each other. We also love the fact that they have their 3 dogs and cat staying right at the site. Leo, Blanco, Walter and Lolita are very friendly and made us feel just like home. It was our first time in Playa Del Coco and Toro Blanco and we will return again probably next year and will definitely recommend this place. Looking forward to see all of them next year and hopefully by then our spanish will be better cause we would love to be able to have conversation with Leo and Federica. Overall a great place to stay and definitely recommend it. See you next year guys!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Youppi R
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We really enjoyed our time at the Toro Blanco. I love the balcony and the kitchenette was nice to have. Having a security guard brings that extra little peace of mind that you don't really need in Coco but it's nice to have. the pool was great with just enough shade during the day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rchernish
Newcastle, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I arrived to Toro Blanco as the last part of our trip. The hotel is quite beautiful in contrast to the rougher aspects of the city of Coco. Each room had a large balcony with a table overlooking the pool. The rooms were dated but clean, with a kitchen in each and air conditioning and warm water. Housekeeping was great, replacing our towels with fresh ones daily and putting away our drying dishes. The hotel staff were friendly but most did not know much English, which made it difficult to originally check in. However, the main owner was friendly and we were able to get some information about the area, such as getting to playa ocotal and arranging transportation to the airport for a very reasonable rate of 35$. We found toro blanco through rich coast diving, a great resource for those looking for some adventure in coco. We enjoyed snorkelling and diving to see puffer fish, star fish, rays, and even sharks. Toro blanco is close to town and a 2 min walk to the beach, very convenient location but you can hear the base from the music late in to the night. This minor inconvenience was worth it to us for the location. Would recommend toro blanco for anyone looking to spend some time in coco, with a reasonable rate, clean hotel, and friendly staff. Would not recommend if you are hoping for somewhere more quiet, luxurious, and helpful in terms of planning excursions/activities if you are English speaking. Thanks for the stay!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank KayleenNicole
Grecia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed here one night. Location downtown is good ~ ~ IF you want to be downtown which means noise, of course. I have no idea why this is listed as a B. & B. There is no breakfast. Room was average. Nowhere to put soap in shower.
My only contact with management was not a pleasant one. After dinner, I donned my swimming suit to take a dip in the brightly lighted pool. A man walked out and said very gruffly, "You have ten minutes. Then get out."
The pool has a strange configuration. Steps to what I would call the "kiddie" side, no way to get to other side, which is very deep and only a ladder from the deep side. There are underwater bar stools, but NO WAY to get to them by stairs or ladder without swimming through the deep part. There are signs that say not to enter the pool near the seats! Go figure! Not very accommodating. Bar was never open while we were there and it was high season.
Night guard was very friendly, but I always try to acknowledge them and speak Spanish.
No way to block out bright lights from pool all night in our room. I have bought "black out" material here which is very cheap for curtains and does an amazing job.
Finally, it just was not worth the price of $65 a night for two. I cannot remember if tax was included, but for sure there was no breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mermade7
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights in Toro Blanco. Reserved our room in June on the advise of our friend Gilbert who is a local Tico.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Small kitchenette, AC, and hot water. Nice private patio by the beautiful pool which is lit up at night.

My wife and I paid $60 US a night. Our neighbor said she paid $40. Maybe cause she was by herself..

The staff was friendly to us, but on the last night we we're entertaining some local friends on our patio early in the evening. I had accidentally broke a glass and my friend ( local Tico) went to get a broom from management only to get cursed by him. This really pissed me off the way the owner totally disrespected my friend who didn't break the glass and was only trying to help. I hope that this was an isolated incident because if this is the way they treat the locals I want nothing to do with Toro Blanco again.

It is noises on the weekend nights. Loud music from local bar in town. I had the AC on and a fan on to drown out the noise.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DannyM80
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days of diving and loved it! Bright, clean rooms, lovely pool, and great patios for relaxing and having a bite to eat. The owner/manager was generous and attentive, he even gave me a lift to the dive shop in his golf cart. Three minute walk to the beach, and a great restaurant with pizza and cold beer right around the corner. Two thumbs up!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
#3 of 11 in Playas del Coco
Hotel M&M Beach House
Hotel M&M Beach House
#1 of 14 in Playas del Coco

Been to Toro Blanco Resort? Share your experiences!