“Great fallback in Coco!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Papagayo Seafood
Ranked #18 of 103 Restaurants in Playas del Coco
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi, Costa Rican, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great fallback in Coco!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Papagayo offers pretty good seafood and is very dependable. The cooking isn't "adventurous" (at least by american standards), but is generally satisfying. I visited three times--the ceviche and seafood soup were my favorites, so I would get them as "sides" to every meal. Entrees were good, but there is room for improvement. Also, various items were a bit inconsistent from night-to-night: e.g. my friends' tres leche was great one day, and not-so-great the next; or the composition of the mixed seafood entrees seemed to vary (I got a big ol' crawfish on top of the pile of seafood one day; I hate crawfish and this one did nothing to change that opinion).

No big surprises, but reasonably dependable.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Slovak first
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Food Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

You will love the snapper. And the live music was great too.. The outdoor dining is really great. I will definitely be dining there again.

Visited August 2014
“Looking for Seafood? You found it!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Last week we had the Mariscada a la Veracruzana and it was very nice. Not too spicy and I was there with a person who could not eat salty food and as we told it to waitress they made it sure she could get a very nice fresh salad and very nice tasty fresh fish filet.
We will go back there for sure.

Tipp City, Ohio
“Lobster, shrimp, tenderloin, and Red Snapper”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our splurge restaurant. It was expensive, but we ordered the most expensive meals on the menu. My husband had the Surf and Turf, Lobster, shrimp, tenderloin, and I had Red Snapper and seafood soup. Service was great. Food excellent. Nice atmosphere.

Visited April 2014
Hamburg, Germany
“Good... but nothing more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Papagayo was the first restaurant I went to during my stay in Playas del Coco. Good choice, cause it could only get better.
I ate at the restaurant, not the sushi boat.
I had grilled tuna, served with vegetables and mashed potatoes and a salad. The salad was served as a starter and looked like it had been prepared hours before. And that's what it tasted like. The tuna steak was very good, but the vegetables and the potatoes I left behind because they were terrible. Overall not convincing.
With the food I only had a non-alcoholic fruit drink which was ok and tap water.
The service was the worst part. The waiters were unfriendly, the more, the more often I asked for some more water instead of asking for some drinks. When I was done eating and only had some of my drink left I was asked several times if I wished something else or the bill, giving me the feeling of a kick-out. I stayed and watched the far more friendly service at the table opposite mine where a loud american tourist had already ordered the second bottle of wine within half an hour.
So if this is what is needed to get a good service, I will not return, nor recommend this place.

• Visited July 2014