We arrived at Bahia Pez Vela quite a bit later at night than we expected, but luckily the management had dropped a key and directions off with the security personnel at the front gate. I did appreciate that as I was worried we wouldn't be able to get in after hours and hadn't called beforehand because of not having cell phone service.
Our villa was huge and much more space than we needed for two people. But the price was right and we did enjoy feeling at home there.
The location has its pros and cons. A big plus is the nice little black sand beach right at the foot of the villas that is only accessible at the development or by boat. It was great to roll out of bed in the morning and hike along the beach. At lower tide, you can actually make pretty far around the rock outcropping and we walked across a water covered point to a nearby cay. Most of the time, we didn't even encounter another person. But it is a little drive into town and definitely not walkable to any eateries, stores, attractions or much of anything at all beyond the onsite restaurant.
This seclusion also makes it difficult for those of us - (raises hand) - who didn't have the foresight to plan ahead. We came in exhausted after a multi-hour drive on windy, curvy roads and so hadn't had a chance to pick up anything for dinner on our way in expecting to grab a bit at the restaurant but it had already closed for the night. We were too tired to drive out so we went to bed completely hungry.
We enjoyed dining outside our villa but be aware the Magpie-Jays are a little out of control in the annoyance factor. We also had a raccoon pester us - quite creepily - for food in the outdoor dining at the restaurant. One morning we saw a coati sniffing around our villa and I was thrilled as I'd never seen one before. I also enjoyed hearing the holler monkeys in the morning.
An overnight storm knocked out the Internet and all WiFi connectivity on our first night there and it wasn't fixed until our last day. But we'd been traveling long before the 'net so we just made due the old fashioned way.
All in all a very memorable experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bahia Pez Vela Resort is located on a secluded bay on the Papagayo Gulf near Playa Ocotal, only 3 miles from Playas del Coco and about 30 minutes from the Liberia Airport.Our Resort has 40 privately owned Villas that are used for vacation rentals. We have both beach front and ocean view Villas, all are 3 bedroom, 21/2 bath, fully furnished with full kitchen plus laundry facilities. The Villa prices range from $240 to $750 depending on location, season, and amenities.Our Picante Restaurant is next to 3 of our 4 swimming pools that overlook the black sand beach and the bay. It is available for weddings, meetings and other special events.Bahia Pez Vela Resort features snorkeling in our bay, easy pick up for fishing tours and a convenient location for enjoying Guanacaste area attractions and tours.We are sure that our Resort is a perfect resource for you, your family & friends. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Bahia Pez Vela Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Pez Vela Hotel Playas Del Coco
- Bahia Pez Vela Resort Costa Rica/Playas Del Coco