“Very nice!”

Hotel La Puerta del Sol
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed her as part of a dive package and could not have been happier. The room was clean and comfortable. I wish the a/c or fan had worked a little bit better as it was really humid the week I was there and the bed could have been less hard. Otherwise everyone there was friendly and helpful which made the stay enjoyable.

The restaurant is only open for breakfast. It is a limited continental breakfast, but very good.

It is within walking distance of the beach and the local shops and restaurants which was helpful especially after visiting the local bars at night.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LBoyko1

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I had nine days in Playas and needed strong WiFi so I could work online. Found this hotel using trip advisor. Contacted them through Trip Advisor; owner got back to me in minutes. I arrived the next day. Sure enough: strong, reliable, fast WiFi. I could Skype for video conferencing, upload videos, etc. As a bonus, the room was large and comfortable. I made an office in one area. Refrigerator for snacks, plus coffee maker. A safe, too, for my stuff.
Nice pool. Had a fitness center I meant to use but somehow never did. LOL.
The front desk made arrangements for my tours and taxis. I also used the bike one day to explore.
The garden and grounds are lovely and relaxing. Very quiet here, and felt very secure behind high walls.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a strong WiFi signal and got it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Terdal_Erik
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We found La Puerta Del Sol after being very dissapointed upon our arrival in Playa Del Coco with another hotel (Coco Beach) and leaving late in the evening. The staff at La Puerta Del Sol found us 2 rooms and were extremely accomodating. The owner had already left for the day but called to greet us via telephone and really made us feel welcome. The rooms are colorful and large and have that California bungalow feel to them. The gardens around the pool are beautiful and offer many places to sit and converse with the others in your party. We unfortunately had a small medical emergency with one of the people in our group and the owner and staff at La Puerta Del Sol went out of their way to help us get the medical attention needed. We stayed for 5 days and really enjoyed this hotel. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amy E
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Hotel is beautiful and the room was spacious. The staff are friendly and helpful. Stayed only one night. I would stay again if I was ever returning to Playa del Coco but I doubt I will ever return. This town is too busy and Americanised for me.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sims3
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed for a week at La Puerta del Sol hotel and loved the location. The gardens and pool area are beautifully laid-out, quiet, and peaceful. Definitely a place to relax. It was arranged by our dive shop (Deep Blue Diving ). The hotel pool was great and shaded by a huge tree in the mornings with direct sun in the afternoon. There were also outdoor showers and it is only a short 1 block walk to the beach. Town was just 3-4 blocks away but the hotel helped us arrange for a golf cart rental for $25 a day which included insurance and could be driven on the roads. They are a gated property and have a night security guard and people by the front all day so I always felt safe there. The staff was so friendly and helpful and recommended local restaurants, gave directions, and were like having an extended family about. Probably not the place for you if you are a loud, party person unless you want to party elsewhere and come back here for the tranquil surroundings. Rooms had a huge king/queen bed and two twins configured into a L-shaped couch so that you could easily put four people in the room. There was a mini fridge prestocked with bottled water, fruit juice, beer, and rum for a small cost. We enjoyed the refreshing drinks when we first arrived, hot and tired from traveling, but then had plenty of room to add our own after we went shopping. The bathroom has a large shower with a built-in bench and tall sides so a bath could be taken as well. The security safe in the room let you set your own code and could easily fit our wallets, passports, a digital movie camera, a small digital camera, and ourI DVD player with a little room to spare. I look forward to staying here again even though it is an older property. It was clean and comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. The breakfast buffet was great and very filling and included in the cost of the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita W
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

Good location...the Hotel served its purpose. Stay there for one night, not sure I would of wanted to stay longer..the Hotel has an antique kind of feel..if you are into that then this may be a good place for you to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MrDujour
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at Hotel La Puerta del Sol for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. The minute we got there we were welcomed with a smile and complete hospitality for the next 3 nights. It was the perfect beach/diving hotel. The rooms were cleaned and made up every day, and the beds were comfortable. The pool is a perfect quiet spot to sit and relax before heading into the busy main street. If/when we return to Costa Rica, we will for sure stay at Hotel La Puerta del Sol again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Hermosa
Villa del Sueno
Villa del Sueno
#4 of 11 in Playa Hermosa

Been to Hotel La Puerta del Sol? Share your experiences!