“Great views, great host!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playas del Coco
Rancho Armadillo Estate
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Washington, D.C.
“Great views, great host!”
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I go away every March with my mom for a few days. Last year we went to a resort in Puerto Rico and this year we picked Costa Rica for a week. I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and picked it for the good reviews and because it was still close to Libera. I also didn't want to be stuck at a resort again - and I'm so glad we went here.

It was very quiet and relaxing (except for the wildlife in the morning and the occasional big spider in the bathroom by the pool). I ate tons of mango and waffles every morning for breakfast. Since my mother likes fresh iced tea, Rick helped us brew a huge jug of sun tea that we drank all week. Unfortunately, we didn't take advantage of his cooking, but one of the couples staying there did - and they shared some of their appetizer with us - and it was so tasty. I wish we had had a chance to have him cook for us.

He directed us to all the best restaurants and fun tour locations. He even let us follow him into town the first night and introduced us to the waiter at the restaurant where we were going to eat. I especially enjoyed the waterfalls and canopy tour. We also spent a lot of time at the pool where I took zillions of sunset pictures across the valley. The few times we got lost driving around I called him on the cell phone we rented and he got us right back on track.

I'm not sure when we'll be back in Costa Rica, but I would definitely go stay there again. The only complaint I have was not enough water pressure in the shower - but I noticed that in general around the area so I'm not sure it would have been better elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 16 March 2010

This is a great place to serve as home base for many local activities including snorkeling, hiking, etc. My main focus is nature and there were great views on the property of Laughing Falcons, Northern Potoo, White-faced Capuchins and Mantled Howler Monkeys. Our small two bedroom adobe house was perfect for a family - one room for kids and one for adults. Rick is a very attentive host and really works to make sure his guests have a great stay at his place and a great visit to Costa Rica.

The only negative is that Rick smokes but he usually tried to avoid the guests while doing it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Chester County, Pa.
Reviewed 12 March 2010

My husband and I made our first trip to Costa Rica in February. We found Rancho Armadillo Estate on Tripadvisor and began emailing Rick with questions about our trip. Rick sent us helpful information and suggested itineraries for how to best use our two weeks. We flew into Liberia and made the short drive to Rancho Armadillo Estate. Rick was there to greet us and to give us a tour of the beautiful property. Our room was private and spacious with a lovely view. Each day began with a breakfast of fresh fruits, breads and juices and make your own waffles. Rick made helpful suggestions about day trips for hiking, sightseeing or relaxing on nearby beaches. The setting and pool at Rancho Armadillo Estate also made for a wonderful way to spend the day. The birds, monkeys and other wildlife by day and the star gazing at night make it a charming natural area. Rick was quick to share his telescope, binoculars and knowledge of local flora and fauna.
Rick also helped us to plan our travel to Arenal, Monteverde and Playa Carrillo. He gave us hotel suggestions, booked accommodations for us and gave us maps with things to do and see along the way. He really went out of his way to make sure that we would not miss anything and that our travel would go smoothly.
After touring these places, we returned to Rancho Armadillo Estate for the last three nights of our vacation. It truly felt like coming home. The beauty of the property, the intimate size of the resort and the warmth and kindness of the host make Rancho Armadillo a place that I can enthusiastically recommend to any traveler.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gopherbroke000
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We stayed at the Rancho Armadillo for 2 nights in August 2009. We could not have enjoy more our stay! Rick was very helpful during the planning of our overall trip and during our stay. He even showed us how to drive a manual car!
The hotel is perched on a hill at the entrance of the town. Its location provides an amazing view of the ocean and is quite beautiful at sunset. The pool is nice and refreshing after a day of activity. The rooms are spacious and confortable. The breakfast is also excellent. We highly recommand this hotel and would not hesitate to go back another year!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank veronyk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Every January for the last 7 years, I've left snowy and cold Chicago for the sun of Costa Rica. Each and every year my group of friends and I spend a week with Rick at Rancho Armadillo and it's a homecoming every time. We are welcomed back with open arms and quickly start to plan out a week of activities. It is only with Rick's vast knowledge of places and people to see that each and every year we do something new and different on our trip.

Costa Rica is not to be missed but if you go and don't stop to spend time at Rancho Armadillo, you will be missing out.

The planning for next year has already begun!

CJA

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Cincinnati,OH
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We stayed at Ranch Armadillo for 8 days in december and had a great time! First, what everyone else has said about Rick is true. He was absolutely indispensable and so hospitable. He would help us plan our activities for the day including letting us know when the best times were to go do various activities. His guidance was always spot-on. Our room was very nice and it is great to have access to a full kitchen, pool, wi-fi and the multitude of other things that Rick provides to make the stay more comfortable (that most hotels would nickel and dime you for). It is truly like staying at a friends house. The property is removed from the city and offers great views. It is a quiet atmosphere and is very relaxing. Breakfast is included and is wonderful! We definitely recommend a rental car (or Rick can set up tours for you) for exploring the various beaches in the area and for going out to eat (the roads are fine). We will definitely come back to Rancho Armadillo next time we are in Costa Rica and would recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful and quiet place to stay that is a perfect launching pad for activities in the Guanacaste area.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Westport, MA
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Beautiful view. Charming rooms. Great pool area with excellent hammock reading spot . The most attentive, knowledgeable, eager-to-help-in-any-way-possible host on the planet. If Rick and this place don't put you at ease, you can't be put at ease. Highly recommended. I like big iguanas guarding the walkway to my room but if your wife is as squeamish about such things as mine is, take that into consideration. She loved it, except for the critters around. But if, like me, that's part of what you go to Costa Rica for, it's yet another plus. And it's a great value on top of all that. Oh, and free wireless internet everywhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#2 of 3 in Playa Panama

Been to Rancho Armadillo Estate? Share your experiences!