Ok. So, after reading some of these reviews, I was wondering if many of the reviewers were expecting a Hilton or Westin. Let me share a bit about the town of Coco first.
It's small. One main strip through the center of town lined with bars, restaurants, vendors, and stores. Many of the workers will stand out front asking for your business, a simple, "No gracias" suffices and you move on. The beach is far from comparable to anything you might see in Hawaii, the Caribbean, or even Puerto Vallarta. The sand is darker, the beaches a bit rockier, and the water is not nearly as clear. If you walk down a bit from the Main Street, it gets a bit better. Coco is a loud town in the evening. A few of the bars blast music, especially during the late night on Fri/Sat. Other than the weekends, it's not that bad. There's a main grocery store a block from the hotel and great food everywhere. We couldn't find a laundromat, but a nice food cart worker offered to do it. That's how friendly people here are (and yes we got all of our clothes back, clean and folded. We gave her $20).
Let's talk about the hotel. It's in a great, centrally located spot. The covered tables of the restaurant line the front of the hotel situated in front of the pool. The reception area is comfortable unity couches, ceiling fans, a small bar, and restrooms. You are greeted with a fruity drink upon check-in. The staff, throughout the entire stay, we're friendly, attentive, and easy to deal with.
The rooms are not high quality, but they are clean and comfortable. The AC was blasting on arrival which was welcome to us as it was a 98 degree day with suffocating humidity. The beds are comfortable, and the linens were fresh, beds neatly made. Sure the TV was small (we turned it on for only a few mins anyway), the bathroom was small/basic, the shower head leaked a bit, and the towels needed replacement... Badly. But the room was CLEAN COOL and COMFORTABLE. That's what we should expect for a hotel in a tiny, out of the way city that is just now seeing some development. Oh, I read a few reviews about the noise from the pool. Absolutely impossible. The pool hours are 6am to 7pm - night noise is impossible. And... The music from the bars and clubs - not even audible inside the rooms (and this was from a room close to those noisy establishments).
The touring company the hotel contracts with - villas del sol (which is a large condo community near Playa Hermosa) is reputable, high quality and safe. We opted for the snorkeling tour. The island and reef we were taken to wasnt like a Hawaiian island and the reef wasn't outstanding. It was cloudy too which hinders visibility. But the sailboat trip to/from was amazing. Definitely take the afternoon trip if you go for this - the sunset was breathtaking. The staff representative from the tour coming at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating, not pushy whatsoever. There was a brief hint of an offer to take us to what sounded like a timeshare community at check in. We don't know for sure, but politely delicned and that was the last it was ever brought up.
So. There you go. For the type of town Playas del Coco is, this place is a gem. Clean cool and comfortable. Staff is friendly. We would come back - they definitely work to make your stay enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Coco Beach hotel is located in Playas del Coco, the area of largest touristic growth in the Golfo de Papagayo and one of the most popular vacation destinations for locals and tourists alike. This growing touristic community is located 40km from Liberia, the capital of Guanacaste at 20 minutes from the International Daniel Oduber Airport. Coco Beach hotel offers a fresh environment filled with tropical air and surrounded by fun and adventure. Our hotel brings together a variety of services that include hotel, restaurant, sports bar, casino and a small mall. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Coco Beach & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coco Beach Hotel Playas Del Coco
- Hotel Coco Beach & Casino Costa Rica/Playas Del Coco