“Wonderful Experience for 30 Hungry & Fun Spirited Ladies!”
Review of Zapataz - CLOSED

Zapataz
Cuisines: Mexican
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
“Wonderful Experience for 30 Hungry & Fun Spirited Ladies!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I am part of a business group that meets monthly for dinner at restaurants in Coco and the surrounding communities. This past Tuesday, our group of 30 hungry and fun-spirited ladies met at Zapataz for our event and were extremely happy with the wonderful food, prompt, friendly service, and clean, comfortable location.

Because of the size of our group, we prearranged a Mexican buffet, with a vegetarian option, for those with special diets. The food was fresh, served hot, and of excellent quality and value. Not only that, but a full salad bar, specialty beverages, and a lovely dessert were included, for a reasonable price. - Our ladies had a wonderful evening and have requested that we return to Zapataz again.

Zapataz is an excellent restaurant choice for individuals wanting Mexican food and for larger-size groups. I have no reservations in recommending Zapataz. Our group will return.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Norma_Joslin

Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
“A loss for words...”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have learned not to go in expecting a lot from "Mexican" restaurants in Costa Rica but must say that Zapataz took my expectations to a new low. I will not go into great detail but will get to the bullet points; Undercooked rice (break your teeth hard) mixed with cooked rice, brown guacamole for $3 extra, orange juice margarita, dry fatty beef fajita and I won't even mention how overpriced the entire meal was.

I usually don't like to post negative reviews but after hearing multiple other people mention similar experiences at Zapatas I wanted to try and prevent others from suffering from the same experience I had. You may be asking your self if it was so bad, why I gave it two start instead of one? Well out of the four people I was with one person really liked their food, so I will go with poor instead of terrible.

• Visited August 2013
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
“Mexican food?”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The best thing I can say about this place is the waiter was friendly and helpful. He should find another place to work because this place WILL NOT stay in business. I have lived in Coco for over 2 years now and since the closing of the Mexican restaurant at Ladera, have anxiously awaited anything close to Mexican. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer. There are no, non-meat options available, and I had to pay $1 more for a cheese enchilada. However this enchilada was just a flour tortilla, (never used for enchiladas) stuffed with cheese with salsa, not a sauce on top. Just a simple "wet burrito". The menu said it came with "wild rice", however, it was plain white rice with corn in it. My Caesar salad was soggy and over dressed with a bottled dressing I know you can get at the local Luperon. The Black Bean soup obviously originated with the "frijoles negro molido" and added to with a variety of seasonings, (too sweet for my taste) and thinned out with water. If I am wrong? Please let me know.The chips, $4, were served on a plate, (why not try a basket?) and were a brand I know can be purchased at the grocery across the street. Come on guys? who are you fooling? Ticos may not know good Mexican food, but any tourist is going to expect something significantly more authentic and better prepared. You better get your act together fast as you won't make it on the local x-pats drinking alone.

Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Recently opened, they have taken a tired property and breathed new life into it.
Atmosphere is good, service brisk and friendly.
What they need to work on is:
1. Pricing
Have only one menu, which means lunch is priced the same as dinner. They need to create a more affordable lunch option. Having said that, even the dinner prices are a tad on the high side.
We ordered a side of re fried beans, and it came in a really small bowl...thought it was a sampler, turned it was the side
2. Taste
We had the tacos...one order of soft shell, one hard shell
Standard add-ons, but the ground beef was devoid of any seasoning...very bland

Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica
“Rare find in Coco. Good homemade food at a great price!”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a sit down restaurant and you can bring your dog too! The prices are more than reasonable. We have 4 drinks(2 for 1 special) 2 soups, salad and a small mexican pizza for $40! You find find a deal like that in Coco. Everything is homemade and very tasty. 2 thumbs up for this place!