“pleasantly surprised!”

Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I spent 4 days out of our 9 day trip at this hotel and we really found it to be better than we had expected. Initially they showed us to a room that was basically underground, musty and a terrible view of a parking lot, we spoke to a manager and they moved us to a much nicer view on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the pool area (I think oceanfront were a bit pricier)- Much better! Some advice that might be useful
- they do host parties late at night in the main restaurant and it stays pretty noisy into the night.
- you can plan activities through the hotel ( catamaran with unlimited drinks and horseback riding on the beach- both amazing! ). They are pricey but it seems like that’s how it is in most touristy areas/hotels. Costa Rica is not one of the more budget friendly Central American countries.
- There is a little kiosk outside the hotel in a shopping area that offers day trips as well, we did an incredible ATV trip through them!
- The beach in front and around this hotel is truly beautiful and we were especially happy with how un- crowded they are for February. Definitely a highlight- try the boogie boards at the hotel- 10$ for the day!

Room Tip: Make sure you dont get a basement-like room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for posting this review of your recent stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. We apologize that the first room you were shown was not to your liking; and are pleased that you were able to relocate a room with a balcony and poolview that you enjoyed. Other prospective guests should know that our economy rooms are designated as such because they do not offer a view; we also offer gardenview rooms with a small patio area, poolview rooms with balconies overlooking the central pool area, and mountainview rooms that have balconies that face the outer perimeter of our U-shaped building. We also offer small family suites with kitchenettes, but they do not feature either views or balconies. As you can see, our hotel is not a typical "cookie cutter" chain hotel, but retains the charm and eco-friendliness that Costa Rica is known for. We also offer a wide-range of activities to help you enjoy all that Costa Rica has to offer at a range of prices to suite a variety of budgets.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

After a 5 hour drive to this hotel we had to wait 1,5 hours more because they didn't have our room ready... And we had booked the hotel months ago.
As honeymooners we didn't recieve any especial atention, nor a welcome cocktail they told us we were going to be having...still waiting for it.
They also told us they had prepared us a special room just with views to the pool. The room was just beside the ice machine, cleaning storage room and with views to the pool's bathrooms.
Every night we were woke up by people going to the ice machine etcetera.
Waiters were kind and restaurant service was ok.
The beach was ok, bit nothing especial.

After sleeping un 4 star hotel in costa rica i can tell this hotel is not up to a 4 star one.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Julian M

We truly apologize that you did not find our service up to par during your stay. You should have been informed when you made your reservation that our check-in time is 3 pm, and we cannot guarantee that rooms will be ready earlier, even though we try our best. Unfortunately you came during one of our busiest weeks of the entire year and we were dealing with a full house. But even so, there is absolutely no excuse that you did not receive your welcome cocktail, nor any special consideration for being on your honeymoon. You have our most sincere apologies for failing you during this special time. I wish you had voiced your concerns and disappointments to our management while you were on property so that corrective action could be taken immediately. If you ever decide to give us a second chance, please let us know in advance so you that we can try to make it up to you. My most sincere apologies, and congratulations on your recent wedding.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This was my first time at a resort/spa hotel compared to the other non - all inclusive placed I stayed at customer service was not upto par.

1. No one took our bags or even offered.
2. No show and tell where everything is and how to access them .
3. They tied to sell us a 50$/person meal plan !

On the better end the beach is right there water is nice and warm. Up the street is coco loco amazing food and drinks . Great place to see the sun set..
The pool is not heated but it's not bad makes for a nice cool dip at the end of the day.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Prem B
norman2, Marketing Director at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us!

We are very sorry no one was available to take your bags at check in. When you arrive late at night, our bellman have already left for the day. We do not have 24 hour bellman service. When you checked in, your welcome key pack that was provided had a wealth of information, as does our guest services handbook located in our guest rooms. We are sorry that you felt we did not properly advise you of all our resort offerings, and we do apologize.

Our front desk is trained to offer all guests our optional meal plan. We have found that if we did not offer it, then guests would be unhappy that they were not informed of it. $50 a day is a great deal for 3 meals, and unlimited house brand drinks. It is a very popular option, especially for guests that like an all inclusive style experience.

Pools are not heated in Guanacaste. With the average temperatures in the 90's during the season, it's not needed.

We do hope you will visit us again soon!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I don't understand how this hotel got such great ratings. I'm trying to find something positive to say about our experience here but I'm having a hard time. We had breakfast included and it was buffet style. But every time we got up to get something it seemed like the staff was watching us like hawks at every little item we were grabbing. There are 4 things on the buffet counter and every day was the SAME (with 2 things changing every so often). I generally eat my breakfast and then go back for some fruit. I just felt like whatever I would put on my plate the staff was watching and it made me feel very uncomfortable. We didn’t have all inclusive, so drink prices are ridiculously high. Lucky for us we are not big drinkers. I would not let my children swim in the filthy pool. The water was murky as if it needed to be seriously shocked! It was gross you couldn't even see the bottom of the pool. The bathroom shower isn't the best. The water doesn't run off and the sand stays inside the bathtub so you never feel like your feet are entirely clean after coming out of the shower. The floors of the room were definitely not swept – found pieces of things which again were most likely left behind from previous guests.

The first night we got there we pulled the bed sheets and there was hair from the previous guests on the bed sheets. I don't think the bed sheets are changed between guests. It was late, we were so tired so I did my best to clear off and then asked to have our beds made the next day. The worst part for me was the BED BUGS. A couple of days before we were leaving we noticed bite marks on our legs - consistent with bites from bed bugs (the bites are in a straight row as the bug walks up your leg). They have no mattress cover only a flat sheet which comes off during the night so you end up sleeping directly on the filthy mattress. Gross. The mattress had some brown stains on it which appeared to be blood stains, perhaps again from bed bugs. I was reading online and blood stains on a mattress like that are also an indication of bed bugs. When we arrived home it was late but I had to make sure I didn’t bring my luggage inside and wrapped everything in large garbage bags for fear of bringing those unwanted pests with me. Talk about stress!

Our room was facing the parking lot which was nice and quiet (so we thought), but unfortunately the mattress was not very comfortable and the A/C units from all adjacent rooms resonate so you hear loud humming ALL night long. I hardly got any good sleep the entire week. It was like sleeping next to a power generator. It was terrible!

The beach is very nice but you have to go early in the morning. The waves get really high in the afternoon and it may not be ideal for younger kids. I was really hoping to go for sunset walks along the beach. Forget doing that here. The beach is public so by early evening it is packed with locals on the beach, blasting their music along the streets and making bonfires on the beach. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting when I stepped out to go walking along the beach during the sunset. Not the fault of the hotel though, so I get that. It's just the location.

I’ve read reviews of other hotels nearby and they too had terrible reviews by some guests yet they are way more expensive. So I understand not everyone will be happy everywhere but I'd say this hotel is at most a 3 star (and I'm being generous here). If you are okay with basic service, no frill kind of place because you plan to do mainly excursions anyway then this hotel may work for you. I didn't get a good feeling staying at this hotel so I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Check your bed sheets to make sure they are clean, check your mattress incase you see something whic...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dee L

Let me assure you that their are no bed bugs here at Flamingo Beach. At times, guests incur bites from insects in Costa Rica period I can also assure you that we do in fact change the sheets on our beds for our guests. I apologize if you found some hairs in the sheets but as I am sure you experience when you launder your sheets, sometimes hairs cling. Our housekeepers should have noticed this and removed the offensive hairs at the time they made the bed. We also ensure the tile floors are mopped each day by our housekeeping staff.

We did have an issue with our pool after a heavy rain, and it was clear after two days. We immediately brought in our pool contractor to adjust the PH.

Our servers in the restaurant were not watching you to make sure you did not take food, they were making sure you had everything you needed and trying to provide you with excellent service. We don't train them to monitor our guest food intake. We are very proud of the excellent service they provide.

All beaches in Costa Rica are public so they can be enjoyed by everyone and should be enjoyed by everyone, not just tourists. During holiday periods such as Christmas and Easter, the beaches are busier with locals enjoying their holiday break.

We wish you would have had a better experience, but sometimes things happen. We would have been happy to fix any problem if you would have informed us of any of the issues you encountered.

Hopefully you found the weather to be a delight after experiencing your Toronto winter and we hope you will visit Costa Rica again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a beautiful location for a family not looking for a lot of night life but want relaxation and quality time together. It is an excellent value, an awesome beach with waves you can actually have fun and swim in. It is just simply a beautiful location. From there you can ride around to other beaches and enjoy the other wonderful beaches in the vicinity. The service and rooms are very nice. Very large resort feel but service of a small quaint hotel. The pool is amazing. The hotel caters to English speaking tourists but there were people from many countries there. Playa Flamingo is one of my favorite beaches. I am married to a wonderful man from CR so we have traveled around a bit and I have always loved this area. Don't be afraid to explore to other beaches. Just hire a car or rent a car and have fun discovering new places.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank redheadcostarica
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you so much for your your kind words and recommendation for the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. We are so pleased that you appreciated the great value that our hotel represents. We are not fancy, but our prices are excellent compared to other Costa Rica beach front hotels and we do our best to provide excellent service, facilities and a variety of amenities. Your comments regarding our resort are helpful and very much on target; we hope you come back and visit us again real soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

A beautiful hotel, amazing staff, quiet and peaceful. This hotel forces you to relax and take an actual vacation. Not much activity, only one restaurant w one menu but for the money its a great vacation. Staff is incredible... We love Elias and Manuel at the pool bar. Alexi in the restaurant was a awesome. Front desk was very helpful when we needed them for an emergency situation.... Twice .
Our only real grief was the limited menus at the restaurant. As beautiful as it was , it got redundant. We venutured out to coco loco down the beach, 10 min walk. And to Angelina's restaurant, 2 min walk. Try the swordfish or the tuna at coco loco and the short ribs at Angelina's , best I ever had and I'm from NYC ,,,,I've had a lot. All in all a great RELAXING vacation

Room Tip: All the same, only the ground level rooms are surrounded by greenery so no view from there
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

While we hate to go from "Perfect" to "Almost Perfect," we are truly grateful for your positive comments and recommendation. Thank you also for recognizing several of our amazing, hard-working staff members by name; they really appreciate it. We are sorry you found our menu limited after a few days; but we do have some excellent restaurants within walking distance from the hotel and we encourage our guests to try them. Thank you for choosing our property for your Costa Rica vacation; please tell your friends from New York and Long Island about us, as we look forward to welcoming them and seeing you back here again when you plan another escape to our beautiful tropics!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and really enjoyed our 5 days and 4 nights here at this hotel. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was very helpful. When we checked in we had a pool view room which we paid extra for that had a view of the children's wading pool - not very good. They quickly let us move up to the 2nd floor which was much better. I can't warn you enough that if you are driving from Fortuna to this hotel your GPS will take you on a "monkey road" which is a unpaved back way in…LOL. If you are into 4 wheeling then you will enjoy it but if not- consider yourself warned. The breakfast that was included daily was very good and the hubby missed it when we got back. We did not do the all inclusive since we like to venture out of the hotel and explore. My husband is a smoker and had to go across the street to the beach to smoke which was no big deal but wanted to give you a heads up that there is no smoking not the hotel grounds. We had the hotel photographer take pics of us on the beach before we left and he did an fantastic job! I would highly recommend doing this while you are there. The only major con is the Wifi was terrible unless you want to sit right by the front desk forget it!

Room Tip: Careful when up grading to pool view- you will want second floor or your view is not that great, ple...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent Costa Rica beach vacation at The Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, and very much appreciate your business. As our property has many different types of rooms, we do try to be very flexible about accommodating our guests to a room of their liking whenever we are able to do so. Unfortunately, when guests arrive during a week/weekend when the property is totally full, we are sometimes unable to relocate them to an accommodation more to their preference, and it almost always causes a disappointment. It is always good to do your homework in advance, research the property, and then be very clear about what is or isn't guaranteed in your reservation. While some hotels are what I would call "cookie-cutter" --like the big chain hotels whereby every room looks exactly the same, our property is quite boutique. We are so glad it worked out for you and that you were happy with the room you ultimately got.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!