“Costa Rican Dream”

Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Amazing place, very friendly and helpful staff, very clean, nice rooms, peaceful, awesome pool with bar, excellent restaurant with fresh food, has a gym, a slot and games room, more bars. Is near a lot of attractions, awesome volcanic beach few steps from it, great tours, we took 3 tours, the Buena Vista Hot Springs,Vandara, Volcan Rincon de la Vieja tour, the catamaran and the Blue River Experience, with waterfalls, mud bath and thermal waters, the rest of the time we went to the town of Brasilito and ate at the Camaron Dorado, fresh catch of the day and sea view; then the town of Tamarindo, with a breathtaking beach,lots of boutiques style shops and many restaurants, we ate at Joe's restaurant, awesome, fresh food and waterfront dining experience, huge portions, great sushi, fresh fish and drinks, not expensive either. And we have a great dancing experience at Las Brisas restaurant in Potrero, where every Wednesday starting at 10pm is Girls drink free and all you can dance, with food vendors outside and a full star sky.

Room Tip: Get the ones on the second floor if you want a better view, but the ones of the first have hammocks...
3  Thank Ernesto R

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently stayed here for one night only during a transition from a house we rented and getting back to San Jose. Hotel is nice. Great pool! Right across the street (very little street) from the beach. The beach had great waves and a lot of fun but most people stayed at the pool.
The food wasn't that great, only one place to eat at the hotel. Honestly it was more like a hotel not a "resort" but a nice hotel. I would def recommend staying here if going to visit playa flamingo.

Playa flamingo is a little isolated, not a lot to do. We ended up renting a car to actual go explore while there.

2  Thank Smitylynn
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Friendly enough, though prejudice is just there. I actually found myself going out of my way to avoid the desk staff on a recent two week vacation with my oldest son and just graduating senior. TAM adventures and outings were fantastic and nearby restaurants were wonderful to dine at with great affordable food at Marie's. The casino they advertise is basically non functioning and internet did not work in our room. In the main public areas it functioned but was unusable for even the basic of mid file sized downloads( 5 mb or more), basic web surfing is all that should be expected. The rooms are cleaned well but dated. The pool area is wonderful and security is good given the region.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view suite. Only a few exist.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tmcook1989
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

We were sad to see that you could only give us a "mid-rating" based on your recent stay. The most troubling remark in your review is the one about "prejudice is just there," because we honestly cannot ascertain what type of prejudice you may be referring to. If discrimination is happening in any way, shape or form at our resort, I would truly like to know about it, because the resort's ownership and management team definitely do not condone any kind of prejudicial attitudes and/or behavior. In fact, any staff member who exhibits "prejudice" due to race, religion, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation will not be welcome on our team. We are happy you enjoyed your tours and excursions, but regret other areas in which you were unhappy: Our small casino does only consist of gaming machines (no dealers or card tables) that's true, and our Internet provider in the area is a government monopoly and does not give us the kind of bandwidth that folks are used to from service providers in the U.S., so we deeply apologize that we fell short of your needs for WiFi access.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent 6 days at the Flamingo Beach Resort. This was our first visit to Costa Rica, and we were hoping that we made a good choice, and boy did we!

First of all, the location of this resort is just perfect. From the lobby, you can look out across the pool and past the restaurant and see the beach and the ocean. The size of the resort is also really ideal. It's not too big, but I also didn't feel like it was too small. I think there are a few hundred rooms, as well as a large pool (with a swim-up bar) and one restaurant on the resort's property, called Arenas. The beach is technically a public beach, but we never felt crowded at all! There are plenty of local vendors at the beach, selling souvenirs, offering local tours and excursions, and there were even a few massage tables set up on the beach (I didn't get one, but I heard from a friend that they're pretty great).

When we booked, we booked a standard room with no view, so to speak. When we arrived at the resort, we found out that we had been upgraded to a pool-side view room for no charge. We were on the main floor (which is technically the second floor), so we had a lovely balcony with a view of the pool area. The room was very nice, we had a HUGE king size bed, with a desk, a chair and ottoman, as well as a dresser area with a built in mini-fridge. The mini-fridge is stocked with snacks and various drinks, all available for a certain price.

We booked the all-inclusive option. You get a different colored bracelet that indicates you are all-inclusive, so anything you get at the restaurant and the bars (unless otherwise indicated) is included. There are some things that have an up charge, but they're not too much. We spent many days at the pool bar laughing with our "three amigos", Manolo, Leo, and Elias. Don't miss these guys! They're all so friendly and funny! (If you speak Spanish, it's a plus! It seems like they opened up a bit more once I spoke to them in Spanish, but they're all still really nice!) Speaking to the all-inclusive options, I never felt like we were being shorted because we didn't have the more premium liquors. I stuck with mostly mixed drinks the whole time, and my husband either did a mixed drink or an Imperial (Costa Rica's most famous beer). They have a big cocktail menu with all kinds of yummy treats. Or, if certain bartenders are working, they'll create a yummy new concoction for you. Manolo was the best at this, and some of the best things I had were drinks from him that weren't on the menu.

Arenas, the restaurant on the resort, is really great. I don't think I had anything that was bad! One nice thing is that the whole country of Costa Rica is really into conservationism and being natural when it comes to the food. All of the fruits and vegetables, we were told, came from the resort's own garden. All of the meats on the menu are locally farmed and never processed. I'll tell you, it was some of the best food I've ever had. At nearly every meal, they offered a buffet of some type, or you could also order off the regular menu. My recommendations: Mushroom Ravioli, Flamingo Caprese Salad, Seabass Ceviche, Cajun-Style Dorado (a divine blackened Mahi stuffed with seafood), and the Beef Tenderloin. And don't miss the Tres Leches cake for dessert. DIVINE! A couple of times we chose to eat out at the swim-up bar, and they have a separate menu that has more snack-type items. They have things like nachos, quesadillas, burgers, sandwiches, and flatbread pizzas. Lots of options available! We were also fortunate enough to meet one of the chefs one evening, and we spoke with him for a while. Afterward, he offered to make us something special, and it didn't disappoint! Leonardo, your dinner was amazing!!!

Our room was always kept extremely clean, and I didn't really have any complaints about it. I guess the shower could have had a little more pressure, but I certainly wasn't disappointed. They offer shampoo, conditioner, and soaps from an organic company. While I appreciated the gesture, I didn't really like the way it made my hair feel. We just ended up stopping at a supermarket and buying some Dove. Like some others have mentioned, the birds tend to gather in the trees around the pool. Since we had a pool-side room, we did notice them waking up and screeching rather early. I travel with a speaker and play white-noise to help me sleep anyway, so it was actually hard to hear them over that. If you're a light sleeper like me, you might consider this too. Also, make sure your window is closed, as the sun rises just before 5:00 in the morning!

Most days they have activities planned, which you can find at the whiteboard in front of the stairs leading down from the lobby. These include pool games such as water aerobics, water polo, or Zumba, or sometimes they had beach walks and informative talks about Costa Rica. We also played Bingo a few times at the pool bar, and it was a lot of fun! There's also a second pool that has a volleyball net and a lovely fountain.

As others mentioned, there is a casino, a workout room, and also a spa. We went to the casino one time and while it was kind of fun, we were the only people up there. I kind of wish they would promote it more so that other people come up and it's a little more fun (Just a tip - the bar that's located in the casino is not included in the all-inclusive package). I also didn't get a chance to try out the spa, but I heard it's nice, so maybe next time we come back?

Overall, the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa was a dream. Everyone was so nice, and we had an amazing time. I cannot WAIT to have the opportunity to go back again!

5  Thank rachelbutts
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for five days and enjoyed every minute of it. The pool were beautiful with a very convenient poolside bar. Service and food were great. I recommend the Carolina fish tacos (I think that's what they're called) and the green monsters are overly refreshing...

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Tiff_taff20
Reviewed 14 June 2014

When I first arrived, I almost cried at how beautiful it was!! I'd never stayed at a hotel, literally steps from the beach! My room was very nice (although I was hardly in it), but the water pressure for the shower was great (an potential deal breaker for me), and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were super friendly, everything seemed very clean, and the food was great. As I said, the beach is steps away and although public, it wasn't over crowded (although I'm sure it depends on time of year). The sunsets were STUNNING. I also treated myself to a massage at the Onzen Spa. I have done massage therapy for the last 10 years in the states and so I tend to be picky. I asked for a deep tissue massage and in talking to the gal at the front, she knew exactly who to book me with and so I went for it. It was AWESOME.
I would definitely recommend this place to any of my friends and family (In fact I already have), and I hope to return some day as well.
The only minor "complaint" I had was the wifi often dropped, especially if I walked anywhere different around the property. Not a huge deal, just kind of a annoying. It would re-connect easy, I just and to enter the password A LOT. However this was also only noticeable as I was traveling alone, so when I had wifi my family and friends were often "checking in" and wanting to hear how I was. Typically I would have enjoyed even less internet time on vacation. On that note though, being alone, I felt VERY SAFE at this hotel and beach. Obviously you have to be aware of your surroundings, but it wasn't ever an issue for me. Although probably not your typical "solo" hotel, I wasn't looking to "party" or drink much... so this location was perfect to unwind, walk on the beach, eat great fresh food, met new people... and there are a lot of fun excursions to do, so I was never bored. In fact I was worried about being bored on my trip and I seriously never was. Hung my hammock on the patio and took a selfie in it, but didn't even have more time to spend in it. There was *plenty* to do at Playa Flamingo and surrounding areas/beaches.
I also loved the professional photographers on site, and although they were very expensive, It was very fun to be a "model" for a short time and I got some of the best photo's of myself on the beach and in the water... definitely not something I could do myself or something I could ask a random person to do/take. (and if I were a "couple", wow , i saw some of the shots they got and they were amazing, expensive, but also once in a lifetime opportunity)
Again, HIGHLY recommend this place!!!!
PURA VIDA

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Scorp1109
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I recently spent 9 fabulous days at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. The staff was wonderful and so helpful, the rooms were very spacious, quiet and super clean with very comfortable beds. The grounds were kept absolutely beautiful with lush green vegetation and easy access to the two beautiful pools, restaurants and beach. Restaurants and stores less than a block away from the front door. I highly recommend this hotel to couples and families. I look forward to returning again next year!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!