“Nice hotel in a great location”

Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arizona
“Nice hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

My three sisters and I stayed in two rooms during part of our trip to Costa Rica. The public areas, especially, are lovely and the hotel's proximity to the beach can't be beat. The rooms themselves were normal hotel rooms--nothing special, but fine. Our rooms had big balconies, but no view. (We chose not to upgrade to a better view, because we spend very little time in the rooms.)

We were part of a plan that included many meals, and we were impressed by the quality of the food and beverages. We especially liked having lunch brought to us at the swim-up bar by the pool.

There's a small casino at the hotel, but it won't satisfy if you're much of a gambler.

This is clearly a "kid friendly" place, and we saw lots of families with children.

My one disappointment is the $10.00 per hour charge for Internet. Instead of paying, we walked half a block to Marie's restaurant (which has very good food) and used their free wifi.

All-in-all, I recommend this hotel if you're staying at Flamingo Beach.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Becky M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
Ottawa
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We experienced two problem during the stay, one major and one minor, but you know, the major problem has turned both our family and the other family we were traveling with against your hotel. It's really too bad, because with a little bit of effort from the staff, the problem could have been easily turned around. It wasn't actually that major of a problem...but the lack of a fix was.

Problem. We saw the list of daily activities, and the day before we asked if our children (13 and 11) could participate, and the answer was absolutely. This was great, so the next day we made sure we were there for the 10am games by the pool. When the organizer was asking people to play, we headed over with our kids, only to be told that it was for adults only. We explained at the time that we were told it was for everyone, and he promised to run a kids game afterwards. Guess what? It never happened. Our kids were disappointed. And, disappointed kids mean disappointed parents.

The next event was aquarobics, so we were sure our kids would be able to participate in this activity, so they diligently sat with us until the start time, which went on and on, and never happened. The organizer just picked up the equipment and left. We rushed over to him and said that we would like to participate, but he replied that he asked around and no one was interested. This was not true as we were sitting right there the entire time.

At this point, our kids were doubly disappointed, so I made the effort to go to the front desk and make a complaint. Nothing happened. I got the normal runaround that you would expect from a lower class hotel, and no results. I asked if they would like to contact the organizer and bring him over to the desk, but they didn't seem to like that idea...they made a call in spanish and then basically said there was nothing they could do.

At this point we're thinking that paying for the all inclusive option is a complete waste of money and that if there is nothing for the kids to do while at the hotel, then there is no reason to stay at the hotel. These are not great thoughts to have while on vacation.

The minor problem. In our room, I went to bed the first night, after my kids and family went to bed, and had to sleep on wet sheets...the air conditioner had leaked all over my half of the bed. This stuff happens, and since my kids were in bed and asleep there was no sense complaining...I just lived with it.

The next day I went to the front desk and mentioned this and that I would like new sheets for the bed and the problem to be fixed. I went to bed that night and the sheets were wet again. I had to wait at the front desk until someone brought me new sheets. I had to make the bed myself as I didn't want to turn on the lights and wake my kids. Ugh. I complained again the next morning. I also moved the bed from underneath the aircon unit. I'm sure the thing is still busted.

Again, not first class treatment.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank JimFOttawa
pamrod305, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2010
We truly regret that your visit to our hotel in March did not meet your expectations. The last thing we would want to do is to disappoint your kids! Please be assured that your complaint was certainly not ignored; in fact, the activities coordinator we had at that time was let go as a result. We also are sorry that you had to live with a drippy air-conditioner. While these things do happen regularly at beachside properties where the a/c systems are taxed to the max, the problem should have been fixed promptly or you should have been given another room. Unfortunately your stay took place at one of our busiest times of the year, which made it difficult to relocate your family. We pride ourselves that the majority of families who visit us find our hotel to be quite family-friendly; however, there is always room for improvement and we appreciate getting your feedback.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this hotel. The food was absolutely delicious and the prices reasonable. The service was second to none, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful at all times. The rooms are gorgeous and very modern with extremely comfortable beds and high quality flat screen televisions (not that you will ever use them are they are countless activities to do at the hotel). If you are a scuba diver they have a dive shop on the property with truly professional divemasters and great dive sites for you to enjoy.

1 Thank stephenwolf
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa is a piece of paradise!! When we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly staff and delicious frozen drinks. Our reservations were handled to perfection. Then we observed the view from the lobby; it was breathtaking. A beautiful pool area, which led right to a clean, sandy beach and the pacific ocean. It was magnificent! Our rooms were clean and ready for us. The roar of the ocean from the balcony was wonderful. Everyone in the hotel was friendly and gracious. The spa here is fantastic. I tried a wide variety of services and LOVED every one of them. Very well trained and professional massage therapists. The food at the hotel was delicious, and the hotel is located within short walking distance of several other restaurants. We went on several excursions, ATV riding and sunset catamaran sail to name two, all arranged through the hotel. We had a great time with fabulous guides. The Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa is perfect for a family trip, a honeymoon trip, a couples trip and a destination wedding. It is really just perfect!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Maya011
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I spent 4 days at this hotel and had the best time!! They have great food, great drinks, great staff, great pool, great atmosphere. Everything you could ever want in a relaxing, yet adventuresome vacation. Centrally located. The beds were sooo comfortable! The whole hotel and rooms were very clean! They have a nice swim-up bar with TV's. The TV's came in handy because we were there during the World Cup. The beach is located right behind the pool. Local restaurants are right outside the hotel. They even have one of the best dive shops i have dove at. I have dove around the world and this shop was the most friendly, fun, and informative. Another great part about this hotel, is that they are very hands-on to saving the land and ocean around the hotel and town. I felt very safe in this town and hotel! Thank you Flamingo Beach Resort!! My boyfriend and I are definitely returning!

1 Thank MKrutulis
san jose
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I've stayed at the Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa countless times and highly recommend it. The pool is a blast, the rooms are great, and the beach is only a few meters away.

1 Thank nigecostarica
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I was there for four nights for diving and the dive shop and service is fantastic. Take the resort course if you need to and do it. As for the hotel, it is good looking but the rooms are in a horseshoe shape, with the rooms on the second and third floors looking in over the pool about $20 more, which is worth it. I had a lower garden view room which was directly behind the pool bar TV and speaker which blasted World Cup games and salsa music so loud I couldn't rest or watch TV in my room. Avoid these rooms when booking if possible. My view was of the back of the bar and some scaffolding. I was told by the day shift for two days I couldn't move, but that was questionable since the night manager moved me to a great room the second night for the rest of my stay. Give that man a raise (Pedro I think was his name) - he saved my vacation. Overall this is a good family place but I would recommend staying elsewhere for any solo traveler as Flamingo Beach is isolated and dead at night.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,624 reviews

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!