“Great Potential” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Potential”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I struggled with whether to writing a candid review about this hotel, because it may hurt their business, but I wouldn't want anyone else to be drawn in by the wonderful web photos they provide and then have to spend valuable vacation time at this rundown resort.

My daughter and I wanted to end our two week vacation at a nice relaxing beach hotel. When we arrived, the driveway was so neglected with pealing paint on the brick walls, weeds growing through concrete and decayed plant debris in the ditches. It was so neglected that we thought the hotel was abandoned! We were the only two guest for the three days of our stay. Since the access to the hotel's beach was closed due to dilapidated stairs, we spent the majority of our time at the beach on the opposite side of the peninsula.

When we entered the enormous foyer we were instantly drawn to the spectacular view of the ocean and distant islands. The manager was friendly and generously offered to carry our bags to our room.

The room was very basic with another spectacular view. The room was clean, no complaints there. Mattresses were very hard with equally hard pillows. Since I prefer a firm mattress it wasn't a problem for me, but my daughter's back bothered her after one night.

The towels felt like they had been starched. The shower was dreadful with water spraying everywhere.

The property was so neglected with iguana feces on the pool deck that remained for there for the three days of our stay. The lawn surrounding the pool hadn't been tended to in a very long time. The pool had dead crabs on the bottom and leaves floating all over the surface.

The complimentary breakfast was very basic and served one item at a time as we asked for them. The coffee was the worst I tasted during our two week stay in Costa Rica. My daughter got food poisoning and spent two days vomiting with severe diarrhea. In an effort to obtain a glass of cold water for her, I entered the kitchen where I thought I heard a voice, only to discover no one around and the condition in a deplorable state.

On a positive note, the manager's wife was very helpful in getting us an Interbus for an earlier departure without additional fees. The bartender/waiter, was a very kind and thoughtful man with a wonderful personality. His skills are truly wasted at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JoJo M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at the Sabanero for 3 days and we had an amazing time. With a great location, the view is impressive and it is really close to other beaches such as Conchal, Brasilito, Potrero and many others. They have a private beach, very nice and safe (but I am sure that once they fix the stairs, it would be a lot better!). My son enjoyed a lot the swimming pool. The rooms are very nice, spacious and clean with a beautiful view to the ocean and comfy beds. I only tried the breakfast at the hotel and it was delicious. The owners and the staff are super friendly. I’d love to stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was very satisfied with this place and will be staying there in the future. I found there facility very accomidating and a fair value .As others have stated the view is one of the best . I would like to see screen doors and fans in the rooms . :) o , and free beer !!!! I will be back .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
costa rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel has a superb staff, great view (one of the best in the area), is safe and rooms are fine.
Negative things: the cleaning service in the rooms is not one of the best, the first day they did our room just fine, second day they almost didn't clean and instead of making the bed they just left the sheets at the bed bottom.

On the other hand, service by the staff (specially the restaurant guys) was superb.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

It looks like this hotel used to be a better place. The new owner is trying to fix the place and it's not bad at all. The view is impressive, I really loved the view. My room had the swimming pool right next to the backdoor. Also the location is good because you can go to Playa Flamingo, Playa Dantas and Playa Conchal in few minutes.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms 501 to 506 and you will be next to the pool and near the bar.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GRetana
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My stay at el Sabanero Beach Hotel went great and I couldn't be happier with the experience.

Flamingo beach is on the expensive side, at least for Costa Rica, so this hotel isn't cheap, but it is very competitively priced compared to other hotels in the area. The view from up on the hill where the hotel is located is absolutely beautiful.

Down behind the back of the hotel there is a private beach that is exclusive only to the hotel and 2 or 3 private homes. There is absolutely no one down there and it is a beautiful little slice of beach. You have to check it out during low tide, however, because during high tide the water comes up and covers the entire beach. However in those times the public beach is only a 10 minute walk away.

We enjoyed cocktails from the bar on our private poolside porch, and had a wonderful time enjoying the room, the views, the pool -- everything. It was even convenient walking distance from several worthwhile restaurants, so while the food in the hotel was adequate, we also had the chance to wander around and sample the wares of other nearby establishments as well.

All in all this was a successful getaway and I would definitely stay at el Sabanero again.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the rooms with a direct access to the pool, and was very satisfied with that. If...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Hotel has one of the best views of Playa Flamingo. Sunset is superb! Staff are very helpful and friendly. This is all the positives I can say about the hotel. Here are the downsides: hallway, exterior dining area are dirty and are not cleaned everyday. Breakfast is ok but we had to wait for fruits, eggs when we stayed there. Our evening dinner was expensive for what we ordered. Our room was spacious and we had a nice ocean view, however, the patio located below was littered with feces (iguana?) and an old mattress. When we tried to checkout, the credit card terminal was non operational and we had to pay cash (could be an issue for some visitors). The private beach is not well maintained and you cannot swim there. Your best bet is to walk (10 min.) or drive (2 min.) to the closest beach in front of the Flamingo Beach Resort. Suggest that you eat outside the hotel (food & price are better).

Room Tip: request a room with ocean view...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kreichenberger, Owner at Paradise Flamingo Beach, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear guest,
I am really sorry that you feel that way but did not make us aware of any problems during your stay. We are in Costa Rica and we cannot control the poops of Iguanas or toads. 2 of the very large Iguanas are being constantly fed by our guests and we cannot chase them away. We entered their habitat.
I really do wonder where else you had dinner. Please read our other reviews, on the food/price ratio we are one of the best and there is only 1 place in Flamingo serving cheaper food than us.
Same for the beach, it is natural, untouched and again please read other reviews, most people know and understand that they are not in Miami Beach.
We also cannot control the telephone lines, in Costa Rica there are sometimes power failure, telephone problems etc. But this is also one of nthe things that make Costa Rica so charming.
Again I am sorry and I appreciate your complains.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,939 reviews

Been to Paradise Flamingo Beach? Share your experiences!