“Pura Vida at it's very Best!”
Review of Hotel El Manglar

Hotel El Manglar
Ranked #2 of 6 Playa Grande B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've traveled all over the world,to include all over the USA, and the middle East. This was my first time in Central America.I've stayed at a variety of hotels, and a few B&B's. Some were nicer than others, some places were , well, you got what you paid for, and nothing more.
I have to say, that my time at Mi Casa El Manglar in Playa Grande Costa Rica, is hands down, no questions asked, without a doubt, the MOST memorable hotel experience I have ever had, and one I will never forget, and can hardly wait to go back again. This place will most definitely be an annual trip.The value of quality of stay for the cost is the BEST I have ever had. I've paid 3X the daily rate to stay at places that couldn't hold a candle to El Manglar. Tropical luxury at a very,very reasonable rate….like a tropical version of the Biltmore in Asheville NC.
I could go on and on about how meticulously the property is kept up, how clean it was, all the amenities like the pool,basketball court,ping pong,rooms with AC (although,in the dry season, it's not really needed),internet access (WIFI),and completely equipped rooms. The very close proximity to the beautiful beach, and nearby Tamarindo. Plenty of exploring to do, a convenience store and restaurants close by.
However, what truly makes this place head and shoulders above anywhere else I've stayed, is the way our hosts…Javie and Michael, made both myself, and my son feel like we were part of their family, and not just some tourist 's they'd never see again. The entire staff went above and beyond to make us feel at home, and to see to any and all of our needs. Javie even came to the rescue when my son got stung by a stingray….if not for his assistance, it would have been an abrupt, terrible end to what had up to that point , been a vacation of a lifetime. Thanks to his quick assessment of the situation, and prompt advice on what to do, my son was back surfing in no time. The genuine,humble sincere nature and attitude towards their guests, was just so unexpected, I was completely relaxed within a very short time and able to focus on having a great surfing vacation with my son.
As beautiful as the scenery was,and as absolutely wonderful the hotel is, it will be the interaction I had with Javie and Michael that will ensure I will be making a trip back, as by the time we had to leave, it felt as if we were leaving as friends, not customers.
Bottom line is, El Manglar is a great value for all the right reasons, and you can't possibly go wrong with visiting there……highly,highly highly recommend them, and I'll go as far to say you'd be crazy to stay anywhere else in Playa Grande………..
Thank you so very much again Javie, and Michael,Pura Vida my friends…..see you again soon!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dtr1960
Federico d, Gerente at Hotel El Manglar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you so much for your great review!!!

It was a pleasure to met you! We always do our best to make our guest stayed as unique, as comfortable and as memorable as possible.

Hope see you again!

Federico de Mezerville

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've stayed in a lot of different hostels all over costa rica and Mi Casa Hostel is by far my favorite! It is good for all kinds of travelers. If you want to be social and meet new people there are plenty of opportunities with games, pingpong, basketball, the pool ect, but if you are looking for a relaxing get away you can find it there to. The care and hard work the guys put into it is evident every where you look. The place is so nice with lounges and tables all around that it's hard to believe it's a hostel. For the surfers, there are plenty of great spots around. If you're not a surfer I'd definitely recommend renting a board and giving it a go. If you go at sunset, it's the best way to end another amazing day in paradise. I was truly sad to go and I will most definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2013

i didn't even stay here but as a traveller in grande i visited the hostel and wish someone had directed me here when i was making my bookings. i have to say the guys that run this place are the best you'll find. super friendly, hard working and fun.

the pool is refreshing and the tight rope an excellent unique touch that i suck at. the dogs on the property have fierce protective faces to keep you safe but they are the sweetest pair of ladies.

the location is steps from excellent consistent grande surf and like 10min down the beach you can get to tamarindo for markets, bars and etc.

stay here! nothing but love for this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Great place. It truly is a little piece of paradise. The pool and setting around it oozes tranquility and relaxation. Michael and Daniel were running the place when I arrived and Uncle Tito was there as well. They were super friendly and helpful. Michael gave an excellent surfing lesson. If you want some seclusion, this is an awesome place to relax. You can take the water taxi over to Tamarindo during daytime hours if you feel the need for more bars, restaurants, activity, etc. I actually went the other direction back to Playa Grande for smaller crowds when I moved on to Tamarindo. In October, I had no problem sleeping in the standard room with the fan blowing on me.

Room Tip: There are limited options for eating on Playa Grande during the low season, so hit the grocery and u...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Chuck L
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Great Hotel. Amazing wibe and surrounding. Very close great waves. Pool and all amenities perfect. The best place to settle down for more time and relax. Hotel is managed by two brothers, super cool guys. The standart is really high comparing to price. Only good things about this place. Dont resist to go there, You wont regret it for sure!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

El Manglar is the best option around Playa Grande! It has a great pool, nice and clean spaces and cool hosts. Music is always going on (not loud) and the beach is just 2 minutes away from this great spot.
Javi and Fede are always trying to make you feel like home and they will get you up on a surfboard if you want to give it a try.
I would come back anytime!

Room Tip: Ask for the Villas room if you want AC and private kitchen. Even though there are other options depe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Perfect location on the most perfect beach in the world. The staff and the service make you feel like you're part of their family. I had a great time learning how to surf from Federico and they gave us great advice on things to see and do in the Tamarindo/Playa Grande area. My highest possible recommendation!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the suites - they greatly exceeded my expectations!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Federico d, Gerente at Hotel El Manglar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Mike,

Thank you for choosing us for your holidays! We always look to made our guest stayed as unique, as comfortable and as memorable as possible.

Best regards!

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel El Manglar? Share your experiences!