“Well done, on every level...”

Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Frijoles Locos Surf Shop provides fun, safe and professional surf lessons for the whole family. Our store is packed with retail surf and resort wear, board shorts and bikinis are an essential item for around here! We offer quality surfboard rentals, snorkel equipment, bike rentals, boogie boards, SUP Stand Up Paddleboards and other beach rentals including beach chairs and shade. We offer personalized surf vacation packages for couples, small groups or families (surf guiding, surf lessons, massages, yoga, adventure... see website)....We offer concierge services prior to your arrival, to help organize your activities, tours, ground transportation, everything you need to make your week go smoothly. If you are traveling to Costa Rica with children, contact us, we have pack n plays/ cribs for rent, a portable high chair and plenty of good advice for families. Upstairs from the surf shop we have two vacation rental apartments perfect for individual families of 4-5 people, or two families on vacation together. There is an adjoining door that means you can have your own privacy when you want it. The condos upstairs are very comfortable, with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, sized around 1250 sq. feet. Just email us for more info/ photos. Also located onsite is the El Frijol Feliz Day Spa for amazing massages, spa services, pedicures, and more. Recently under new management the Day Spa contact is separate to Frijoles Locos however we are happy to connect you. Frijoles Locos are your one stop shop for everything you need for your Playa Grande family/ surf/ vacation! Please contact us prior to arrival so we can best help you for all your vacation needs.
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

A couple of friends and I just got back home from a great week in Playa Grande. We rented an apartment above Frijoles Locos surf shop and I'm certainly glad we did. Corynne and Ian, the owners, have made every effort to create a welcoming, comfortable and safe residence, in a inviting, sleepy little surf-town.
The apartment was plenty big enough that we never felt crowded. The large kitchen was better stocked with the essential cookware and whatnot, than any place I've ever rented. We ended up cooking most of our meals, instead of eating out, and had everything we needed. Corynne even arranged for the seafood truck to stop by and we purchased an enormous slab of fresh tuna and equally large bag of shrimp. This kept us fed for three days as we filled in the rest of the details from a couple of neighborhood tiendas. All very memorable meals. Each morning we would assemble on the deck, overlooking the private pool, to drink coffee and eat mango and papaya while being entertained by the hundreds of birds that filled the nearby trees. Parrots, parakeets, magpie-jays etc... would appear, chattering and squawking, then fly off only to be replaced by another flock, a few moments later. One morning, a troop of howler monkeys visited in the trees next door. We spent about an hour watching, videoing and taking pictures as they fed. It was awesome.
The shop had everything we needed for the beach. It is THE place in town for surfboards, bikes, chairs, coolers and such. I bought my wife and daughter souvineers there also. The sales staff is friendly and helpful and Ian directed me to the right part of the beach to surf, where I didn't have to fight the crowd and I got a lot of fun waves. I even met one of their surf instructors, Doug, in the water and he graciously shared the bounty.
After a few hours at the beach(and the taco stand next to it) we would relax in the pool with a beer. It was the perfect spot to cool off and decide what to do next. There are plenty of good places to eat close by. The local beer(Imperial) and rum(Centenario) round it all out nicely.
I can't say enough about how cool&groovy these guys, girls and this place is. I'm certain I'll be going back. I hope sooner than later.

All reviews
"group lesson"
"t shirts"
"costa rica"
in 29 reviews
"great selection of boards"
in 9 reviews
in 14 reviews
"very helpful staff"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Corynne and her staff came to the house for a spa day treating all of my lady wedding guests and the bridal party. They were very friendly and made the day perfectly stress free. The massages were fantastic! They provided a refreshing watermelon mint drinks, fruit, and hummus vegetable wraps made from Rip Jack for lunch. Everything was fresh and delicious!!!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were three families renting a variety of boards for a week ranging from SUPSs to Thrusters. Corynne and Ian were very accommodating and helped us with our selection for all our different riders.

The service was outstanding and really made for a great surf vacation.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Frijoles Locos in November '13 and had an awesome time! Corynne, Ian, and the entire Frijoles Locos staff was super friendly and helpful. Corynne was very timely and responsive to my multitude of questions ranging from local attractions to surfboard shapes. I felt like I knew the staff before we even arrived. Once there, we were beyond impressed with the apartment. High ceilings, tile floors, and nice furniture made for a great place to crash after a long day on the water.

The surf shop was superb and the selection of boards to rent truly exceeded my expectations. If I wasn't feeling a particular board, they let me swap it out for something I felt more at home on. Best of all, the boards were in great shape and I didn't mind being seen stroking a "rental".

I really like Playa Grande because it doesn't have a real 'touristy' vibe to it like other places in CR. The beaches aren't super crowded and the local surfers seemed mellow, all things considered (proper surf etiquette still applies here). There are multiple breaks down the beach so if the main one is a tad crowded, no biggie... just walk a few hundred meters and you're good.

Frijoles Locos is a class leading outfit and with all of the other lodging options available in Costa Rica, I'll be coming back to this place.