“Great people, welcoming to kids and beginners!”

Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Frijoles Locos Surf Shop provides fun, safe and professional surf lessons for the whole family. Our store is packed with retail surf and resort wear, board shorts and bikinis are an essential item for around here! We offer quality surfboard rentals, snorkel equipment, bike rentals, boogie boards, SUP Stand Up Paddleboards and other beach rentals including beach chairs and shade. We offer personalized surf vacation packages for couples, small groups or families (surf guiding, surf lessons, massages, yoga, adventure... see website)....We offer concierge services prior to your arrival, to help organize your activities, tours, ground transportation, everything you need to make your week go smoothly. If you are traveling to Costa Rica with children, contact us, we have pack n plays/ cribs for rent, a portable high chair and plenty of good advice for families. Upstairs from the surf shop we have two vacation rental apartments perfect for individual families of 4-5 people, or two families on vacation together. There is an adjoining door that means you can have your own privacy when you want it. The condos upstairs are very comfortable, with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, sized around 1250 sq. feet. Just email us for more info/ photos. Also located onsite is the El Frijol Feliz Day Spa for amazing massages, spa services, pedicures, and more. Recently under new management the Day Spa contact is separate to Frijoles Locos however we are happy to connect you. Frijoles Locos are your one stop shop for everything you need for your Playa Grande family/ surf/ vacation! Please contact us prior to arrival so we can best help you for all your vacation needs.
Austin, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great people, welcoming to kids and beginners!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were referred to Frijoles Locos by Pura Vida Ride, one of the outfitters we trust most in Guanacaste, and were not disappointed. We went out with them three times - once with two kids, and twice with four kids (ages 6, 6, 8, and 8) + a dad, and everyone had a FABULOUS time. I felt that my children were safe in the water and very engaged. They rarely wanted to take breaks and worked hard the whole 90 minutes of the lessons, so clearly they were having fun. Excellent communication by email ahead of time, and very welcoming attitude upon arrival. We will be back on our next visit for sure. Prices seem compatible with what I have experienced in other areas of Costa Rica - slightly less than or equal to US prices, but not "cheap." I'm cool with that, as it's clear that the quality of the equipment and instruction is top notch. Ian and Corynne were also helpful in recommending local lunch spots for hungry young surfers! I have shared some photos of my two kiddos during their first lesson with Marcos. The younger one, it was her second lesson ever, the older one had 2 under her belt but they were months ago, so these are a good example of what you can expect to see your kids doing right off the bat. Thanks, Frijoles Locos!

Seal Beach, California
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“over priced, quite a few surfboards for rent”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Totally over priced, but I guess it's supply and demand. Had a decent amount of boards to choose from, but your hotel will probably be cheaper. Luckily they have shortboards in almost fair condtion, also had longboards to rent. $20 a day is what I was charged.

Visited July 2014
FrijolesLocos, Owner at Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
LinLaz, thanks for taking the time to post your experience at Frijoles Locos. All comments are appreciated, and remind us to review our procedures, pricing, and performance to ensure we keep up with offering our best possible customer service.
Our equipment rental pricing comes with many options, to suit all budgets. At the most economic level, we offer a 2 hour surfboard rental for $5, plus $2.50 per hour after that. This works particularly well for those beginner- intermediate surfers who don't necessarily need the same exact board each day and will be exhausted after a few hours! Other customers prefer to have the same board for multiple days and are happy to take advantage of our excellent selection with fair, comparable prices. Most people agree that our boards are well cared for, dings repaired promptly, and our selection constantly updated.
All our prices are clearly posted on our website, along with guidelines for you to read, to ensure the best rental experience (ways to avoid dinging the boards, transportation of boards, along with other hints and tips which you can take note of, no matter where you rent your boards from).
We also offer a 10% pre-paid discount for equipment rentals with Frijoles Locos, which can help our customers save some $$ also.
Warm regards,
Corynne (Owner/ Manager)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Surfing and Instruction - Fantastic...”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We visited Costa Rica in June/July 2014 and pre-arranged several days of surfing and instruction with Frijoles Locos. Corynne was the best - she helped us plan this part of our trip from the transportation to/from our hotel (we stayed about an hour away at the RIU) to reserving the boards and best times to surf along with our lessons. Corynne was outstanding at communicating prior to and during our trip - she made everything very easy. Ian and Brad were our surf instructors - Ian helped our teenage sons (who could already surf) improve their technique and adapt to the Costa Rican swells. The boys really enjoyed Ian and had a blast surfing. Brad helped out my wife and I and had tremendous patience working with us newbies. He had us both standing and having a great time. The boys also loved the shop. We took a quick run through the apartments that they rent above the shop and may have found our spot for next time. Pura Vida! Thanks guys!

Highland, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well done, on every level...”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

A couple of friends and I just got back home from a great week in Playa Grande. We rented an apartment above Frijoles Locos surf shop and I'm certainly glad we did. Corynne and Ian, the owners, have made every effort to create a welcoming, comfortable and safe residence, in a inviting, sleepy little surf-town.
The apartment was plenty big enough that we never felt crowded. The large kitchen was better stocked with the essential cookware and whatnot, than any place I've ever rented. We ended up cooking most of our meals, instead of eating out, and had everything we needed. Corynne even arranged for the seafood truck to stop by and we purchased an enormous slab of fresh tuna and equally large bag of shrimp. This kept us fed for three days as we filled in the rest of the details from a couple of neighborhood tiendas. All very memorable meals. Each morning we would assemble on the deck, overlooking the private pool, to drink coffee and eat mango and papaya while being entertained by the hundreds of birds that filled the nearby trees. Parrots, parakeets, magpie-jays etc... would appear, chattering and squawking, then fly off only to be replaced by another flock, a few moments later. One morning, a troop of howler monkeys visited in the trees next door. We spent about an hour watching, videoing and taking pictures as they fed. It was awesome.
The shop had everything we needed for the beach. It is THE place in town for surfboards, bikes, chairs, coolers and such. I bought my wife and daughter souvineers there also. The sales staff is friendly and helpful and Ian directed me to the right part of the beach to surf, where I didn't have to fight the crowd and I got a lot of fun waves. I even met one of their surf instructors, Doug, in the water and he graciously shared the bounty.
After a few hours at the beach(and the taco stand next to it) we would relax in the pool with a beer. It was the perfect spot to cool off and decide what to do next. There are plenty of good places to eat close by. The local beer(Imperial) and rum(Centenario) round it all out nicely.
I can't say enough about how cool&groovy these guys, girls and this place is. I'm certain I'll be going back. I hope sooner than later.

Visited June 2014
Myrtle Beach
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wedding Day Spa Treat”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Corynne and her staff came to the house for a spa day treating all of my lady wedding guests and the bridal party. They were very friendly and made the day perfectly stress free. The massages were fantastic! They provided a refreshing watermelon mint drinks, fruit, and hummus vegetable wraps made from Rip Jack for lunch. Everything was fresh and delicious!!!

Visited May 2014