“Great location, mediocre comfort”

Apartamentos Veranera
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Grande
Apartamentos Veranera
Chicago, IL
“Great location, mediocre comfort”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We booked a one bedroom apartment based on the reviews here for the week from Christmas to New Years. Booking was easy, and the price was right. The best thing about the apartment is its proximity to a fabulous beach, a few restaurants, and lots of peace and quiet. The apartment itself, however, is just so-so. The furniture is somewhat uncomfortable and we've had both a sink and a toilet clog. We were also greeted upon our arrival by a very large spider in the sink that prompted my husband to purchase Raid at the supermarket. We were given bath and hand towels but none for the beach, so we bought some at the supermarket for ourselves. There is weekly maid service and laundry is available, but basic information such as this has been hard to come by and we have had to phone the local manager several times to find out things such as when trash would be removed. Overall I think this is a great location but I've been frustrated because it doesn't have the service of a hotel (which I didn't expect in an apartment rental) but there hasn't been enough information provided for the level of independence that staying here requires. If you stay here, get information on cleaning schedule, trash, laundry, etc. BEFORE you arrive.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlisonEve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed in Bruce and Dana's one bedroom apartment upstairs with my dog when i first moved to Playa Grande during July, August and September. I have fond memories of sitting out on the balcony sometimes watching the rains, sometimes enjoying the fireflies and sometimes just surfing the internet on my laptop enjoying a glass of wine. This place is lovely. It's clean, well designed, spacious, comfortable and quiet. I loved being close enough to what I call "restaurant row", as well as, skipping distance to the beach to surf. And here's a special treat: there are papayas growing right outside the door! Yep, it's paradise. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My wife and I have stayed in a few different places throughout Costa Rica but this was by far the best. Bruce and Dana were excellent hosts. We stayed there for 3 months and were taken care of the whole time. If there were ever any problems or questions, they were always there for help. Bruce was always available to give us rides to and from the airport and even took us to the local grocery store when needed.
Playa Grande was a great little town. The apartments were centrally located to the beach, eating and the best local surf shop (Frijoles Locos) When we arrived we bought some cheap bikes in the nearest tourist town, Tamarindo and that helped us get around a little easier.
I would certainly recommend staying at Apartamentos Veranera.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
dancacz, Owner at Apartamentos Veranera, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you! Hope to see you back one day with your new baby :)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My son and I travel a lot and this was one of our favorite places. We are already planning to return next year. The apartments look even better in person then on-line. Very clean and walking distance to beautiful beach and local restaurants. I was very pleased to have high speed wireless internet connection that was working properly. The owners, Bruce and Dana, were very helpful with tips on exploring the area and country, recommending great eats and even some surfing lessons. Highly recommend this family friendly place.

Room Tip: Any room is great, there are only four apartments, views are the same from all of them, it's a s...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I've been traveling to the Tamarindo/ Playa Grande area for the past 7 years and Apartamentos Veranera is my favorite place to stay. If you are interested in experiencing the Costa Rica nightlife then it might not be ideal, but if you are looking for peace, tranquility and great surfing then this is by far the best option. I've viewed and stayed at other hotels and apartments in Playa Grande and nothing compares. The owners are great, very well organized and responsive to guest needs. I think the prices are fair and the best value in town. The apartments themselves have everything you need and are very thoughtfully organized-- including large closet areas, safe deposit boxes, great private porch areas, fully equipped kitchens, laundry and hot water that never runs out. If that's not enough, the location is absolutely perfect, an easy 2 minute walk to the main surf break in Playa Grande- which is one of the best and most consistent in the Guanacaste region. I've stayed in Apartamentos Veranera for months at a time and I can honestly say I have no complaints. Even though I'm tempted to try and keep this place a secret, I enjoy staying here so much that I had to post a review.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ksurfista
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I've always wanted to check out Costa Rica, do some surfing, and just relax. I wanted to to go somewhere bucolic, and mellow, and yet close to nightlife, and with access to hiking, zip-lining, and other activities...I found exactly what I was looking for in Playa Grande...it's like this the world unto itself, everyone knows everyone; I felt as though I was invited into a family's private lil village ! I chose Apartamentos Veranera to stay at after speaking with Dana over the phone...she was so warm, so candid, and engaging, I was sold ! While enjoyed my accommodations, in truth, it was my hosts that made my stay most memorable and delicious ! This place is run by a young couple, Bruce and Dana, and they were just so gracious, and frankly, fun ! Upon meeting them, I immediately felt like I was simply part of their family, their circle, their world down there...it's as if they were old friends...well, now they are new friends ! Their hospitality, their, service, and their love of the life they have created for themselves down there, is infectious, and exceeded my expectations ! B&D ! I shall return !

• Stayed December 2010
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Stayed in the apt for a month- couldn't have been more perfect! 2 minute walk from the beautiful beach, restaurants, and surf shops. The apt was more than a place to stay in- it was like a second home. Fully equipped kitchen, terrace with a gorgeous view, and a privacy that you will not find in a hotel room made the stay super enjoyable! Owners are very nice and prompt to help with any questions/concerns you may have. Highly reccomend it for families, couples, or solo travelers!.

• Stayed February 2011
Reserva Conchal Beach Resort, Golf & Spa
Hotel Bula Bula
Hotel Bula Bula
#4 of 6 in Playa Grande

Been to Apartamentos Veranera? Share your experiences!