“Awesome respite”
Review of Hotel Las Tortugas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Grande
Hotel Las Tortugas
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed 6 April 2013

What a wonderful little get away. The staff is super friendly. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are very nice. I stayed in room 10 which has a very nice balcony overlooking the swimming pool. The beach is incredible. Huge and uncrowded. You owe it to yourself to pay a visit here.

Room Tip: Ask for room 10
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 April 2013

This is one of my favorite places to stay in Grande, any review saying go to Tamarindo does not really enjoy Costa Rica. This place is right in surfer heaven and turtle laying heaven. On a great beach that never gets to crowded. They also have every option you could want, simple little rooms, nice ocean view rooms and even apartments for longer stays. I highly recommend this place if going to Grande. Owners are great to locals as well as nature, and there guests. They treat all those with respect, will definitely be returning. Thanks Carrie.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Just got back after spending 4 days here. The good: the food was absolutely delicious! We felt we were getting home cooked meals everytime. Irene and Sandra at the restaurant were absolutely fantastic, helpful, and friendly. Always a smile on their face! The pool area is well kept as is the restaurant. The room was terrific with lots of space and quiet. It does need some tweeking in the shower and glass door (would not lock). Location is a dream!

The bad: the only thing we have to complain about was the customer service we received from Carmen at the front desk. She really made us uncomfortable and was not friendly! Johanna however was absolutely lovely and sweet! The way all the other employees were friendly more than compensated for this mishap so we definitely will go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TripSJO
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The staff at Las Tortugas was excellent. Rooms were serviced daily (cleaned, sheets and pillow covers changed, and fresh towels), restaurant was very good and the staff treated us as family. This was our first time to visit and on the recommendation of a couple different friends. We will definitely go back within the year. The staff went the extra step to make sure we were always in good hands. Pura Vida!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We just returned from our fourth year of spending February at Hotel Loas tortugas. The rooms are clean, the staff is very friendly and very trustworthy.The restaurant serves great food. We have made friends with folks who also stay there year after year. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed here in mid February 2013. I got the last room and was told I would be moved to a larger room the following day. I didn't stay around to see the next room, I went down the street to PGI and didn't regret it.

My room was located in a small annex building that may of at one time been a utility building because the windows were tiny and the floor was concrete. My room smelled badly of mold and was incredibly dark and depressing. The bed was dirty to the point that I put my beach towel over the sheets so I wouldn't touch them.

The service was poor. Initially the manager was very welcoming, but the longer we stayed the worse he became. He was straight out of fawlty towers. He seemed to love living in Costa Rica, but was resentful that he actually needed to have customers at his hotel in order to stay in business and surf. He was incredibly rude to me and my cousin who were trying to learn how to surf (yes, we took the trouble to walk 1/2 of a mile down the beach to not disrupt the good surfers on the main beach). We were in a completely empty area unitl he showed up and tried to tell us to leave.

I talked with other guests staying in the main building. They seemed to have better rooms than I had. My experience might have been different had I not been in a utility building. I served for 11 months in Iraq and my living accommodation was better while I was living in one of Saddam Hussein's former prisons outside the city of Ramadi. Maybe your experience will be better than mine, but I wouldn't take the risk. Go down the street to PGI or Rip Jack. The location is amazing though, can't beat that.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ed T
hatchlings, Owner at Hotel Las Tortugas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

First of all, I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience. We offer accommodations for every kind of traveler: from backpackers, students and surfers on a budget looking for rooms as low as $20 to $25 per night; to people who would like kitchenette facilities for longer term stays or just want the convenience of being able to cook their own food; to families and couples wanting some of our nicer rooms with private balconies with hammocks or in our honeymoon suite atop the hotel with a breathtaking view of the ocean and all the amenities.

We pride ourselves on being able to accommodate the needs of most every traveler. That you had to take our last room available shows that we are doing something right, but I'm sorry the only room available was not the right fit for you. Yes, it does sound as though you were in what we call our rancho building that is more suited for the traveler on a budget who wants something affordable just steps from the ocean and our jacuzzi, pool, open air restaurant/ bar, and ample hammock areas spread throughout our grounds. For these economy rates there is also guarded parking and free wifi. We find that people that stay in the economy rancho rooms don't spend much time in their rooms anyway but just use their simple accommodations for a cool place to sleep and shower. They all have AC and private hot water bathrooms. Yes, they are very simple, hence the price of $20 to $35 for the more basic ones, but you will be hard-pressed to find a room for that price with AC and a private bathroom ANYWHERE in Costa Rica that is just steps from the ocean.

Now that I've explained ourselves a bit, I'm having a hard time finding much truth in this post. First of all, that you say you stayed in a room with a concrete floor doesn't make any sense; ALL of our rooms in the rancho building and the main hotel have either Spanish tile or beautiful hand cut stone floors. The rest of the review just gets worse with the ridiculous lies to the point that I don't even know how to respond to such allegations. Furthermore, I couldn't find someone that fit your description in our reservation books.

If you did in fact stay with us, I'm sorry that you did not wait around to upgrade to a better room the next day, but rather chose to leave beach front accommodations to stay at a hotel not on the beach, with no private parking area, and not committed to the local community. We are the only hotel in Playa Grande that strictly employs local people from the surrounding villages in keeping with our commitment to sustainable tourism. We employ over 30 Costa Ricans from the local area. Not only is this commitment of ours within what is legally acceptable but also what we find to be morally acceptable. I regret that if you did indeed stay with us, that as a self-proclaimed world traveler you did not immediately recognize the beauty of our authentic uniqueness and enjoy our local charm.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

This place is awesome! You can find a small history of it on youtube! The beach is really popular for surfing and is also a nesting area for Leatherback turtles. The beach is literally 20-30 feet away from the hotel. The rooms range in size and in price, but are not fancy and always affordable. Our room was 870. for the week and slept 6 comfortably This place is laid back, clean, and thats what I like about it. A very mellow vibe. When you pack for this place, don't bother with anything fancy. It's the only hotel on the beach! There are a couple of places to eat up the road, but otherwise you will probably need a rental car if you intend to explore. Johanna at the desk is very helpful and Sandra seems to be the Mama of the place. She has worked their for 20 years or more, All three of my kids cried when they said good-bye to her. She also makes the most delicious mango milkshakes.

P.S. WE DROPPED OFF A BACK PACK OF SCHOOL SUPPLIES AT THE PLAYA GRANDE PUBLIC SCHOOL. THEY NEED SUPPLIES. FEEL FREE TO DO THE SAME IF YOU ARE VISITING. THEY ARE VERY WELCOMING TO ALL VISITORS AND YOU CAN GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO PRACTICE THEIR ENGLISH!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
#4 of 6 in Playa Grande
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo

Been to Hotel Las Tortugas? Share your experiences!