“Beautiful”
Review of Hotel Las Tortugas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Grande
Hotel Las Tortugas
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were 4 people in the greek 6 appartment for a week in may and it was great! We were there to surf and playa grande was a good choice for us with a large range of breaks everywhere in the beach. The room was cool, the staff was really friendly and the hotel environment was beautiful, with monkeys, iguanas, lime trees and mango trees. We enjoyed our stay at Las Tortugas and we'd be happy to do it again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Loveswellsurf

Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you are looking for authentic, unpretentious, breathtaking beaches, excellent staff, delicious local food and a comfortable and affordable stay in Costa Rica at the beach...you have found it! My husband and I rolled the dice after he found Hotel Las Tortugas online...IT IS WONDERFUL...what a find! Walk down the beach to a lovely cove where you can snorkel at the black sand beach! Beautifully landscaped...feels like a jungle! Perfect for families or couples it is peaceful, relaxing and if you want to adventure out...they will help arrange whatever you need! We can't recommend this highly enough for the vibe, surf, snorkel, food, modest accomodations and love!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool on the second floor... it had a large balcony with rocking chair and a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel has a nice local vibe: rooms are decorated in bright primary colors, lots of room, nothing fancy. People hanging around not doing much, sitting on plastic chairs. Guests hanging out at the pool, walking the beach. At night everyone gets cheap mixed drinks and goes to the beach for a social hour. People walk around and introduce themselves. It's wonderful. The sunsets tend to be spectacular. Food is good, not fancy, and prices are good. It's a great place to stay and get into the local vibe. Staff are friendly, and things move at a slow pace. If you're looking to relax on a great Central American beach, this is the place to do it. Air conditioners are really noisy though, so bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach side are really nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John P
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were at a time share in Coco Beach and decided we wanted to stay an extra day but not in Coco Beach. We loved the staff and people at Hotel Las Tortugas so much we checked out of our time share a day early so we could spend the whole weekend at Hotel Las Tortugas. Our 26 year old daughter joined us for the weekend and we had a 2 bedroom suite plus an additional alcove, with a deck complete with hammock and rocking chair. We met many of the people staying at the hotel both while having our morning coffee while watching the surf and birds and then boogie boarding and surfing in the ocean. A wonderful ritual was right before sunset everyone going out and watching the beautiful sunset together. Our first night we went out with a guide from the hotel to help the endangered leather back turtle babies on their trek back to the ocean. AMAZING!

Room Tip: Depends on how many people you have with you and your budget. All the rooms are very reasonable. N...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ActingJan
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I spent 2 months in costa rica over the summer,in which I stayed in tamarindo and playa grande. I went on this trip alone and ill never do that again because I got soo bored all by myself. I had to get out of tamarindo because there was no surf and the city was full of people trying to rip me off/pick pocket me. i was lucky my mom was able to talk to karrie (one of the owners) and set up reservations for me. i got my phone stolen out of my pocket while in tamarindo and i came to the hotel where they had a phone i could keep in touch with my parents. the surf in playa grande was a lot of fun. everyone who came threw the hotel was really cool and the hotel took me in as if i was family! its pretty in playa grande but i met kids in the hotel my and we clicked. las tortugas has a local kid named Jonathon on staff and he accompanied us when we would go out at night an was an excellent translater! i had no problems with my room or the hotel. i don't know where the negative reviews came from maybe a hotel down the street or something because las tortugas was the nicest place ive stayed in in costa! the food was awesome an the staff was really nice and trustworthy if you go to costa rica don't stay in tamarindo its a dump consider staying at las tortugas if your planning to go to the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank seancasperson
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had a wonderful ten day stay at Las Tortugas in February. If you are looking for five star luxury with beach volleyball this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a comfortable, clean place right on a magnificent beach, then las tortugas is a great place to spend time. The staff are great and very helpful. Louis and Carri are always around to make suggestions and Jonathan is a wonderful guide. We went out one night with a guide to see black turtles come ashore to lay their eggs and that was a special experience. The meals are very good value and are very good Costa Rican food. The sea food was excellent.. I would highly recommend Las Tortugas.

Room Tip: Ask for room 11. It's a bit more expensive but the view off the balcony is to die for.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ROntravel33
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed for 10 days, and they were all great. This is a perfect place to enjoy life. The staff is very friendly and competent. Any view can go right on a postcard. World class surfing, unforgettable tours, white sand beaches and black sand beaches. I saw crocodiles, ibis, kingfishers, cranes, sardines running from a big fish, and snorkeled with fish of all colors of the rainbow and an octopus. Funny comments from the guides make it even easier to appreciate: you can learn monkey family social structure, taste tamarindo fruit and see Guanacaste tree, symbols of the area. You can learn that iguanas do not have wives or fiancés, just "friends with benefits". In the hotel yard there are plenty of fat iguanas who would be happy to eat the cereal or bread that you'd give them. Birds right from paradise would come close to wish you good morning.
You are right in the heart of nature, yet close to any aspect of civilization you might want.
All guests I saw, from tiny tots till golden age, looked very happy at Las Tortugas.

Room Tip: the description of rooms you get from hotel administration is very realistic. trust it
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
#4 of 6 in Playa Grande
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#12 of 24 in Tamarindo

Been to Hotel Las Tortugas? Share your experiences!