“Trip of a Lifetime!!!!!”
Review of Hotel Las Tortugas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Grande
Hotel Las Tortugas
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Houston
“Trip of a Lifetime!!!!!”
Reviewed 2 September 2006

First let me say this was the best trip I've been on yet, and I WILL be going back soon. Normaly on trips you can rest assure something will go wrong. This was the first one where everything went completely as planned. Contact with the hotel was very easy and the response was extremely quick. The directions were easy to follow and we had no problem making it to the hotel. When we arrived our rooms were ready to walk into and I never even had to go to the front desk, they met us in the parking lot and escorted us straight to our rooms. The rooms were clean, safe and comfortable (keep in mind I stayed in three diffirent rooms during my stay). The food was fantastic. There was never a time when we were just paying for a room, the owner Louis and the staff were a blast to hang around with, and they always had something new for us to see next. The surf was KILLER th whole time, in fact we had plans to spend the rest of the vacation in Mal Pais however Las Tortugas had everything I wanted and a whole lot I didn't even know I wanted. I've been to a lot of places in Costa Rica and this was by far the best. Thanks again Las Tortugas, I'll see you again soon!!

• Liked — the surf
  • Disliked — The fact that I had to go to sleep
  • Tips/Secrets — Yeah, stay longer
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mattduhon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Greensburg, PA
Reviewed 20 August 2006

My wife and I were in Costa Rica for a business trip. As is our custom, we usually grab a map, rent a car and take off exploring in search of different or unique destinations or restaurants. Our destination was the National Marine Park. We arrived as the sun was setting and observed a terrific sunset. While there we decided to have a bite to eat and the Hotel Las Tortugas was next to the parking lot.

As we enjoy fresh fish and seafood, we ordered the grilled dorado. Even though we spent 10 days in Costa Rica and had a number of fresh fish meals including dorado, this was by far the best tasting dorado we had. While they would not divulge the recipe to me when asked claiming it was the chef's "secret recipe", it is well worth ordering. The on-site and wait staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. If ever in the area again, we'll go back.

• Liked — Enjoyed the restaurant and staff only.
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SolSearchers
minneapolis mn
Reviewed 27 April 2006

You know, I almost didn't stay at this hotel based on some negative reviews I read here. Well, I'm sure glad that I followed my own intuition and booked it because I loved it, and after finally viewing other options in the area, it really is the absolute best choice. Why? Location, location, location. And a super great community of locals and repeat customers.

It's the only hotel directly on the beach, and you're but feet away from the Leatherback turtle research station that runs the turtle tours (which was why I was there) and it has a pool. I feel that a pool is an absolute necessity in an area where the ocean can be kind of rough with big waves. I mean, that's why the surfers are here after all... It's hot in the Guanacaste, and non-surfers need to get wet wihtout worrying about challenging surf.

The in-house restuaraunt has really good food, the staff is extremely nice, from maids to servers in the restauraunt- not to mention the extremely charming and friendly night watchmen Alexis. And you meet the most fascinating people! There's a great community that hangs out here: local residents, people interested in the Leatherback turtle refuge, families, and of course all the surfers. Met alot of families (and surfing families) that come here year after year. Can't emphasize enough all the interesting people I met! Unbelievable.

Surrounding the pool, they have this great collection of hammocks shaded by trees where people spend the heart of the day reading and hanging out. There's a most entertaining troup of Central American Magpies (think Blue Jay with a mohawk) that hang around the restauraunt looking for scraps. Then there's the cutest, most endearing 'hotel dog" that makes each and every guest feel welcome. If you're by yourself, she'll hang out on your beach towel and 'watch your stuff'- uninvited- while you go swimming! It's like she can read your mind. I met one guy who was looking for his wife and the dog led him to her walking aways down the beach. She's legendary...

Late afternoon, everyone migrates to the beach to watch the sunset and watch the surfers catching their last rides. People frequently bring guitars and cocktails...

Rooms? Decent enough. Whose spending time in their room anyhow? Hey, I got a big bed, a clean and comfortable bathroom w/ good water pressure, a small fridge, and in-room safe. And still put the major valuables in the main hotel safe.

You can walk to Tamarindo (if you so desire) and for a change of pace, eat at a neighboring hotel- The Rip Jack Inn- which also has a killer restauraunt- more up-scale fine dining w/ a great view and alot of fun friendly people. You can also walk up to Nikki's, a more laid back place where the locals and surfers-on-a-budget hang out.

I'm coming back next turtleback nesting season to reconnect w/ all my new friends....

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank melshells..
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 April 2006

We've been going to Costa Rica for the past 8 years and have stayed in a number of places from simple to 5 star (Playa Conchal). By far our favorite place is the Hotel Las Tortugas. Great wholesome food, friendly staff and guests, and really clean rooms. We're going back in July and we're staying at the Las Tortugas. We're pretty much done staying anywhere else as we always have the best time here. And the food is great!

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2006

I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first time in Costa Rica. I was thrilled with my stay at the Las Tortugas. Everybody there was extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed for a week and tried a handful of other restaurants in the Playa Grande area as well as Tamarindo but the food at the hotel was by far the best I had on the entire trip. They'll make anything you want and the fresh fruit plate I had for breakfast every morning changed every day and was always excellent.

My typical day was getting up early, enjoying a cup of coffee while sitting on the beach and checking out the surf. After a morning surf session I'd lay in a hammock and read while sipping on an assortment of fine cocktails followed by an afternoon surf session and more relaxing.

Even on the days where we headed into Tamarindo or inland Costa Rica it was always a treat to come back to the comfort and relaxed atmoshpere at the hotel. I would recommend this place to anyone. It's a world class surf break right in front of the hotel and for the non-surfer the views and other things to do so close by make it a perfect getaway.

It was the most relaxing vacation ever and I can't wait to get back.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco
Reviewed 8 March 2006

this place is an oasis- away from tamarindo! we loved the apartment we stayed in- the empty beaches- and great waves. there are a few places for good food, and drinks- this is not a party town- but there are a lot of great people to have a beer with.

• Stayed March 2006
#4 of 6 in Playa Grande
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#12 of 22 in Tamarindo

Been to Hotel Las Tortugas? Share your experiences!