“We can't wait to come back!”
Review of Hotel Bula Bula

Hotel Bula Bula
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Hotel Bula Bula and Playa Grande are simply amazing! This gem of a hotel is the best place to stay for so many reasons! You've got seclusion, yet you're close enough to the action that you won't miss anything if that's what you're after. The hotel only has 10 rooms, so you never feel crowded. The restaurant/bar has a great draw of hotel guests, locals and other visitors in the vicinity so every night you can meet new people and have so much fun! The food at the restaurant is excellent and the included breakfast is amazing! The taxi stand is right there, so if you're looking to go party you can head to Tamarindo.

The rooms are colourful and have such a great Costa Rican feel with the artwork. The beds are comfortable. There's enough shelving in the closet to unpack your belongings and make yourself at home. They have little touches like umbrella's & swim wraps in the rooms to use while you're there. The rooms aren't enormous, but just enough for your basic needs. The only issue I had was with the lighting. I found the room to be a bit dark. There's a good light above the closet, a table lamp and two sconces above the bed. It sounds like it should be enough, but I think maybe a floor lamp rather than a table lamp could throw a bit more light and help brighten things up. The rooms were very clean. Marta does a great job keeping everything tidy and we were even able to arrange for her to do a couple of loads of laundry for us since we were there for over 2 weeks. There's a verandah that runs in front of all of the rooms and each room has a pair of wicker rocking chairs in front. It's a great place to find shade & read or hide from a rain shower and have a drink or enjoy morning coffee. We made great use of those chairs!
The pool and surrounding gardens are so beautiful. The groundskeeper works so hard everyday, cleaning the pool and raking or trimming or doing whatever to keep the area immaculate.

If you want to get out and explore or do an excursion, Eduardo is happy to help arrange whatever you need. We did ziplining, a catamaran/snorkelling trip, horseback riding, monkey park, surfing and souvenir shopping in Tamarindo. The beach is a short walk away, maybe 5-7 minutes down a little dirt road. And what a beach it is!! So often we have it all to ourselves! If Playa Grande isn't enough, there are several other beaches within 15-30minutes drive by car...each one is beautiful in its own way.

Todd & Wally are the owners of Bula Bula and are great hosts. We didn't see a lot of them as they left on their own vacation a couple of days after we arrived, but when we did spend time talking to them they were friendly and great to talk to. Lucky for them, they have amazing staff so while they were gone we had the best service! Victor, Ernesto, Eduardo, Grace, Maria Jose & Marta took great care of us. They fed us, cleaned up after us, made amazing drinks for us and super milk shakes & smoothies for our kids and always made us feel like family! If we ever needed anything they took care of it and did so with a smile.

We were originally only booked for two weeks at Bula Bula, with one week in another town further south in Costa Rica. After only 3 days in the other town, we just had to come back "home" to Bula Bula. The extra time at Bula Bula made for a perfect ending to our wonderful vacation in Costa Rica. We can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: There are only 10 rooms, you can't go wrong with any of them!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank katnboo

Reviewed 17 August 2013

we were in playa grande last week and stayed at another hotel down the street. however, we had several meals at Bula Bula and they were all delicious. the setting is lovely and the service was excellent. i had the best grilled chicken sandwich and the chef works a miracle with yucca. there are two resident parrots who are very entertaining!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank foxeym
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel Bula Bula was absolutely perfect. Wally and Todd are the owners and you couldn't ask for better treatment. The staff was amazing and very friendly, food excellent, it was like eating at a 5 star resturaunt. We were there in April 2013, and are looking forward to going back next year. Playa Grande was beautiful, and it was exciting seeing all the beautiful birds, and seeing the monkeys in the tree at breakfast everymorning. not much more i can say but AWESOME!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I gotta admit, being away from a town is a daunting thought, but, once you arrive, you hardly want to leave.
It is an experience that soothes your soul. Many dream about heading out to vacation, and spending countless hours just lounging by a pool, or sipping on a cocktail. Here you can. It is incredibly easy to forget there is a place called home awaiting your return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2013

A THANK YOU FROM THE PARENTS OF THE BRIDE: Hotel Bula Bula and Playa Grande...
the perfect combination for our daughter's beach wedding get-away! Kudos to Todd, Wally, Eduardo and the entire staff for one of the most delightful, comfortable and fun experiences we have ever had in our travels. You all helped make a special event in our lives that more extraordinary. The help in the pre-planning stages, the comfort of all our guests, the wonderful wedding reception, helpful excursion and transportation choices definitely helped take a lot of stress off our shoulders. Every one of our guests are raving about their stay and most want to come back again. Great hotel, great staff, great food and drink, great fun, and oh yes...great surf! Thank you for the good times and especially the good memories. We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I chose Bula Bula as my reception site for my wedding (June 2013) after my visit during the summer of 2012. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect venue for my reception and accommodations for my 20 or so guests :) Todd and Wally truly gave my guests a wonderful experience full of memories and smiles :) My husband and I, family and friends cannot wait to return!!! Eduardo was patient with all my requests (insight re: excursions, email correspondences, hospitality, etc)...Todd is AWESOME!!! He always greeted my guests when they arrived whether it was at 1pm or 2 am as well as spending time and getting to know everyone during their stay. Wally and his staff not only created a unique wonderful/special dinner the night before the wedding but exceeded my expectations with the reception dinner. Wally's preparation and attention to detail and quality of food never disappointed. All of my guests raved about the hospitality, food, and energy at Bula Bula!! I was so glad my guests loved Bula Bula as much as my husband and I do. Planning a destination wedding can be stressful at times however Todd, Wally and their staff alleviated all my worries...I did not experience any mishaps or overwhelming moments throughout the 2 years I was in communication with Bula Bula or during the wedding week. If you are a bride looking for an intimate venue with genuinely caring/hospitable staff who focus on their guests having a great time this is the place!!!! My husband and I wish we could relive the week over and over again :) We are already counting down the days when we visit again!!! Pura Vida!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I cannot express how great it is to stay in the most CHARMING, LOVING, and WELCOMING HIDDEN GEM, Hotel Bula Bula !!!!!!!!!!! I have always been very anal about over planning every trip (making everyone bring formal wear, matching T-shirts and sticking to a schedule) and my husband, son and best friend asked me just to go and see what happens.
I met charismatic owners Todd and Wally one year ago for a short 4 hrs. I was sold to go and visit BULA BULA!! We spent 10 days with BULA BULA and their hard working staff. We were treated like family. Where else can you wake up in Central America and be surrounded in a canopy of lush gardens, trees and beautiful beaches just a 5 minute walk away! The view of the estuary with crocodiles (my favorite) birds, Iguanas, lizards, geckos, and parrots!! The rooms were so cozy. It was the best sleep I have ever had on vacation. It was a short boat taxi on the estuary to the town of Tamarindo.
Every meal was EXCELLENT!!! I was so impressed with the Great Waltini's restaurant. Every dish we had from french toast, fresh fruit and eggs in the morning to steak, fresh fish and on and on in the evening was exquisite. The community of Playa Grande seemed so quiet and humble, but at night, every night, folks would step out of nowhere and enjoy the awesome food and service at the Great Waltini’s.
CAN YOU SAY HAPPY HOUR?!?! The bar was manned by the best bartender around, VICTOR!! I am speechless as to how great Victor, Ernesto, Todd, Wally, and everyone at Bula Bula is.
For those of you who think I am over-hyping Bula Bula, keep this in mind, I have been fortunate enough to go on great vacations every year with my husband and kids. This has been one of, if not the best vacation yet. I will now look around and appreciate what I have seen and done in this great country of Costa Rica and the special attention shown by the entire staff of Hotel Bula Bula.

Room Tip: All the rooms suround the pool, they are all great!!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#12 of 24 in Tamarindo
Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Bula Bula? Share your experiences!