“Premier Customer Service !”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bula Bula

Hotel Bula Bula
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Grande
I-Way
“Premier Customer Service !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

I booked a room at different nearby hotel and was so disappointed that I literally walked out. It was a very hot day and the walked down the road not knowing where I was or where I was going and after a half hour or so I came upon the Bula Bula bar. I saw a fellow at the bar with a laptop and asked if he knew anyone who could perhaps help with my troubles and get me a room. He introduced himself as the owner of the hotel and said he would be glad to. He wound up personally driving me to the other hotel to get my bags, had his assistant call them and tell them I was unhapy and checking out, and get me all set up into a wonderful room with cable, A/C, and a gourmet lunch!
I travelled several hundred thousand miles back in the 1980's and found the service here to be as good as any Stouffer or ICH I ever stayed at. Todd treated me like a guest wants to be treated, and best of all, the concierge service was a true blessing by helping me iron out travel details for the rest of my trip. For a gringo who does not speak fluent Spanish, it can be a lifesaver to have a dedicated bilingual staff who doesn't mind making a few phone calls to help out with FIT travel arrangements.
I know it is a little pricey by CR standards, but the rooms, food, and service make it a bargain.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Web Page put me off with lengthy statement of cancellation penalty and no refunds
3 Thank heathman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2007

I recently travelled to Playa Grande and had the pleasure of finding hotel Bula Bula and the Frijoles Locos Surf School and Spa. Bula Bula is a beautiful hotel with great rooms and a really fun restaraunt and bar. The staff was incredibly friendly and the owners are very warm and inviting. The food was absoulutely fabulous and the prices were very reasonable.
I asked about getting a massage and was hooked up with the nice folks at Frijoles Locos. First I got an incredible massage from Coryenne who after kneading my hurt back suggested that I try "cupping." She then applied that technique and when she was finished I felt fantastic. I get frequent massages here in the States and I must admit that she is the best I've ever had.
When Coryenne asked me if I was interested in surfing I told her that I had always wanted to try. She told me that she and her husband, Ian, were opening a surf shop and that he also provided personalized surf lessons.
Ian was a really cool dude. He had me standing up on my first wave and made me feel really comfortable in the water. I got lessons every day for the rest of my trip and even bought a board of my own from Ian and Coryenne. They also showed me their new surf shop which wasn't quite completed but was none-the-less incredible. The place is right off of the main road into Playa Grande and is absolutely beautiful.
If you are travelling to Grande I strongly suggest that you check out Bula Bula and Frijoles Locos surf shop and spa. I know that I'll definitely be back!!!

• Liked — location and friendly service.
  • Disliked — I didn't get to stay long enough!
2 Thank surf_novice
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

This intimate hotel is five minutes' walk from the blissful beach of Playa Grande, and can be reached by taxi from Tamarindo as well as by boat along a truly magical mangrove estuary. The coast and estuary forms part of the Playa Grande Marine Turtle National Park, home to the leatherback turtle. I can't think of a better base from which to explore the surrounding area. The rooms are compact but very comfortable, and scrupulously clean. The hotel staff are extremely friendly, and include a skilled bartender and a gregarious parrot named Bert. When not taking surfing lessons or cruising down the estuary, I enjoyed the pleasures of poolside cocktails and the opportunity to totally tune out and unwind, while still enjoying the chance to commune with a select band of fellow travelers, all of them interesting and eco-aware. Will definitely return soon!

2 Thank travelnovelist
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

It's a nice property with pretty nice rooms and a nice pool. The thing I and my wife didn't understand was their insistence on playing loud top 40 music in the restaurant/bar that adjoins the pool. It was as if they were looking to create a "Key West" atmosphere--and why anyone would want that I can't fathom. You don't go 1500 miles to paradise to listen to bad Elton John when you're trying to relax.

If you're going to Playa Grande, I'd recommend using VRBO and renting a house or condo.

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — Atmosphere of the bar/restuarant and pool area
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank AmosMoe
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

I'll start by saying that the hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the pool is nice if you're into that sort of thing with the beach a few hundred meters away. Our first issue was with the management. One of the managers was pretty nice and helpful, while the other was overbearing and obnoxious. His Spanish was atrocious and offensive, and his inability to speak the language of his staff (though most speak English pretty well) or his country of residence should be an embarrassment to him. It also appears to be a no-no for the staff to speak Spanish to the customers, which some may appreciate but we certainly didn't. The food is enormously overrated. All the sandwiches are served on wonderbread, there is absolutely nothing local on the menu, and with the American elitist attitude that pervades in this gated community (also a disgrace), one would hope that a few vegetarian items may have found their way onto the menu - besides the grilled cheese. We spent the majority of our time down the beach at Rip Jack and Las Tortugas where the beach is closer, the management far more friendly (particularly Gregory at Rip Jack), and the food a thousand times better (particularly at Las Tortugas). On that side of the "Palm Beach Estates" gate one may actually realize that Playa Grande is not an American colony. A definite gray area at Bula Bula. I would recommend this hotel only for the clean rooms and clever bird.

• Liked — clean, beautifully decorated rooms
  • Disliked — management, location, food
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank treetraveler50
Newport Beach CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

What a wonderful slice of heaven. We found Hotel Bula Bula while looking for a location to host our Wedding reception. I had 5 people staying at the hotel during the week of our wedding and everyone loved it. We had our reception dinner of over 30 people there at the restaurant and it was amazing. Wally and Todd made sure that every detail was taken care of and the food was wonderful. They were always helpful and truly made you feel right at home…I really miss hanging out in Playa Grande and spending time with them and their mascot Bert.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed June 2007
1 Thank welovetotravel24
riverview florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2007

My spouse and I stayed at this lovely resort for 7 wonderful nights. The pictures online did not give the hotel justice. It was even more beautiful in person. The rooms were colerful and very clean. The pool was very refreshing. The food at the Great Waltini's was excellant. The beaches at nearby playa grande were breath taking.. Walley and Todd the hosts were also very helpful and take good care of their guests. We look forward to our next visit at Hotel Bula Bula . Hotel guests Michael and Ronda Tempest

Stayed June 2007
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 21 in Tamarindo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,402 reviews
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Bula Bula? Share your experiences!