“Tough Place to Leave”
Review of Hotel RipJack Inn

Hotel RipJack Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I spent a week at the Ripjack Inn, and when I left I was sad. After only a couple nights, the staff knew my name and I felt more at home than I do at... home. My room was very clean and comfortable. The air conditioning, bed, shower, etc. were just what I expected. It's not fancy... but it's clean, stylish and comfortable. This is Costa Rica, not New York City. The grounds are constantly kept up and clean. I felt safe and relaxed at all times of day and night. The Hotel is very well situated to be far enough from the beach to avoid no-see-ums and provide the correct distance from the turtle sanctuary, while at the same time being only a 60 second walk to the sand.
The beach itself is amazing. I rarely had to share the sand with anyone.
The restaurant and bar are in a single large open air room. The ambiance and atmosphere are such that we regretted any meal that we did NOT eat there. The owners and staff are very friendly and extremely attentive.
The food... oh man, the food. The food is at once simple and distinctive. The kitchen staff spend a lot of energy making sure they are using fresh ingredients and offering a wide variety of dishes. My favorite was a pasta with mushrooms and shrimp that was so good I ordered it three different times. The chicken and fish dishes are also lovely. The hamburger... well, that's a good damn hamburger. And I don't say that lightly.
I'm trying to think of the downside to the RipJack. Uhm... I wish they had a more direct flight from Norther California?

Room Tip: You really can't choose a bad room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank GifuTraveler

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I also never do the same vacation twice. Until now. This place was awesome. We had so much fun. Room was clean, everything worked. 60 second walk to the beach. Good surf. Not too crowded when we were there. Surfshop down the street was great too. Good food - a little pricey for me but good value even so. Good food next door too. Hammocks were well used. I will be back.

Room Tip: ask about a friedge.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JakeFromSM
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed our last 2 nights at this hotel. The room was clean and the air conditioner kept the room cool. The location is perfect, a short walk across to the beach. Anne and Dave, the owners were very welcoming. The staff are very sweet and helpful. The restaurant upstairs is great!

Negatives-the rooms did not have a safe, the bathroom in the standard room was small, and it can be loud if you are staying in a room located under the restaurant. But once the bar upstairs closes, it is quiet.

However, the negatives would not keep us from returning. My husband and I had a great time and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They are in the process of adding more rooms. If completed by your visit, ask for a room not located...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SanDiegoTina
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The RipJack is head and shoulders above all the hotels. From the service to the rooms to the food. The staff is ultra helpful and the menu is unreal. The owners Annie and David are what I consider old school inn keepers. They make it a point to know all their guest and do anything they can to ensure that your stay is a wonderful experience. And their daughter Maggie is an angel. The RipJack is the place to be!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Everything about RipJack, from the rooms, to the staff, to the bar/dining area was more than I'd hoped for from Costa Rica. I was traveling with friends, who had stayed there before and it felt like home from the minute we walked in. The owners, Annie and Dave went out of their way to welcome us. Maggie, their 4year old daughter, is polite and a delight to be around. She showed me around the hotel and introduced me to the other guests on my 2nd day in town.

The rooms are quaint, but comfortable. They are tastefully decorated to accommodate the local humidity. I stayed in the bungalow, which had its own sitting room and flat screen tv. This turned out unnecessary, since I spent all my time at the hotel in the dining/bar area. The open air dining room is as much a gathering area as it is a restaurant. Although not directly on the beach, it is just a short walk through the trees to the water. We spent long mornings reading at the barstools along the balcony. After breakfast, we never felt rushed to get out. This feeling was solidified by the hammock hanging in the corner, which was usually occupied by a lounging hotel guest.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. Nubia recommended some fantastic tours. Tabitha took great care of us through long nights at the bar. Eric made sure we were happy throughout all our meals. Fran surprised us with sushi creations. And Chef Frank earned a few standing ovations from our group.

Overall, a fantastic trip...thanks to everyone at the RipJack.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My husband and 16 month old daughter stayed here for 4 nights this August at the end of a 2 week trip to CR, and I am so glad my research brought me to this fabulous little gem in Playa Grande.

We stayed in the Bungalow which was its own little building separate from the main inn. The bungalow was great for us since we could spread out and let our child run around several rooms. The bedroom has 2 queen beds and the living room has a euro-style click-clack futon couch. The bathroom is very modern and the shower is huge and has a really cool natural rock floor that looks and feels very chic. Also, the bungalow has a little fridge and a water cooler so you don't have to buy tons of bottled water!

The Inn is owned by Dave and Annie and their 3-year old daughter Maggie. The whole place has a great family feel to it. Maggie was fast friends with my daughter and they had great fun playing in the big dining room. The best part was that we were never made to feel like our kid was unwanted or a nuisance the entire time. The entire staff is so great. Nubia was so helpful in taking our reservation, and when we showed up, she greeted us like we were old friends. Eric, our waiter, was so nice and always seemed to anticipate what we wanted next. Annie and Dave are awesome and very present as owners. We feel like we made lifelong friends, and that is a really unique thing to take away from any vacation.

Other highlights for me: the beach is gorgeous and about 100 yards walk down a beautiful tree-shaded sandy path. Playa Grande is really spectacular and apparently a surfer's paradise. The pool at RipJack has a nice big shelf on one end perfect for small children getting used to the water. We spent a decent amount of time everyday in the pool and most of the time had it to ourselves. They also have yoga several mornings of the week - outside if the weather permits.

One thing I should mention is that the roof of the bungalow is tin? aluminum? so when big nuts or seeds fall on it in the night it can be surprising. I'd recommend bringing a noise machine in case you're a light sleeper. Also, the last 2 nights, a cat or other animal ran around on the roof a bit, so that made a little noise. Just figured I mention it so someone else wouldn't be freaked out.

We're already talking about our next trip to CR, which will definitely include a stay at RipJack.

Room Tip: Bungalow is spacious and private
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bigcitybug g
Reviewed 1 June 2011

-Very small, oddly-shaped rooms
-No room safe. Guests can keep valuables in the concierge safe, but this is inconvenient and when checking out the guy in charge did not know the combination. We had to wait for him to frantically call a coworker to get the combo.
-No room fridge.
-Air conditioner is very weak.
-Rooms are right underneath the restaurant and thus it is very noisy at night when you're trying to fall asleep.

• Stayed: April 2011
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas

Been to Hotel RipJack Inn? Share your experiences!