“Muy Bueno!”

Congo's Hostel & Camping
Tarnowskie Gory, Poland
“Muy Bueno!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

hello, this place is really amaizing, muy tranquilo and peacefull!!
cheap, great location, very friendly and helpful hosts, close to the kayak rental shop, Current Issues water, family atmosphere, I highly recommend!!!!
Michał Duszyński

Room Tip: I slept on camp
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michał D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I spend couple of days in Congo's. Owners were really sweet and helpful, room was basic with bunk beds, but clean with big bathroom. There was a fresh cofee all day long + something for a breakfast. It's 1-2minutes walking from beach and the same distance to grocery store or diving schools. There is really nice garden with hammocks, huge mango tree with couple of howler monkeys and iguanas running around. Really realxing place after diving!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is by far the nicest place that I have stayed in Costa Rica. Excellent location and the owners make you feel like part of the family. I have backpacked through most of the country, and this place cannot be beat. Whether you’re a backpacker, family, or couple you will enjoy your stay.
Anna and Marco are warm, kind and extremely helpful. At the end of a long day, you can hang out in a hammock, listen to the howler monkeys, and chat with the hosts over a beer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank C R
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My husband and I, and my brother were in Playa Hermosa February 26 thru March 7 2012 and we truly enjoyed our stay at Congo's. Marco and Anayansi are WONDERFUL people and were extremely accomodating our entire trip! Congo's is peaceful and in a perfect location just steps from the beach! Our room was clean when we arrived and was cleaned just about every day that we were there. A/C is available but we didn't need it as it was cool outside at night. No hot water, but that's usual for most places in Costa Rica; however a cold shower after a long hot day in the sun was actually refreshing! Ana arranged for us to take a fishing/snorkeling trip as well as a day trip to Guachipelin for tubing, horseback riding, and the hot springs! Their hospitality was more than we had expected and we felt like family. Did I mention the family of monkeys that play in the trees all day? They were so much fun to watch (and they put on a show for me when a baby fell from the tree....but momma wasn't too far behind to rescue her young). We also played Rummy with Marco and Ana and taught Marco to play Skip Bo. They both speak good English and are always eager to help with whatever you need! As for the dogs, Sacho and Tequila, we loved them too! Overall, this is a great and affordable hostel with wonderful hosts who go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to visiting Congo's in the near future!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JillyH1
Ballerup, Denmark
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Two weeks ago, I spent three days at Playa Hermosa in Costa Rica. I had a great experience staying at Congo's hostel! I was truly happy to meet the hosts, Anna and Marco, who are very loving and kind. It was clear, that they wished the best for me and were there to help me out in any way they possibly could to give me a great stay. As there weren't so many others guests while i was there, I spent one night hanging out with them, talking and playing Rummy. They also very kindly let me use their computer to get on the internet, and helped me get a snorkelling-trip arranged through some of their good friends at a fair price, helped me out with the local bus-schedule and treated me very nicely in general. If you are on a low-budget trip, Congo's is definitely where you want to go. Their price is more than twice as cheap as the second cheapest offer I found at Playa Hermosa (February 2012). The rooms are nothing special - 2 rooms with two bunk-beds in each, with a bathroom attached at the end of the room. Plain and simple. You may have to share the room with other guests, but as long as you are okay with that, you will be fine here. Unless you are looking for luxury or something a little neat for your vacation, this place has probably got what you need - a bed, a shower, and a very kind host-couple. They have free wi-fi, and every morning, Marco goes to get fresh bread for the guests. I hope you will enjoy your stay here!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank David J
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I've stayed at a ton of hostels, and this one is pretty low on the list in terms of what it offers, but there were some pros. Here's a list so you can decide for yourself.

Pros:

-Great location right by the beach
-Air conditioning
-Super nice hosts - Marco and his wife are very nice and helpful. We spent an evening just chatting with his wife. They picked us up from the airport and dropped us off at our hotel after our stay. They both speak English well. The housekeeper, Juanita, is also very nice.
-Use of computer
-Use of fridge and kitchen
-Free breakfast (bread with butter and jam, coffee)
-We saw monkeys - not right from the hostel, but a few meters away

Cons:

-Dinky bunk beds - I'm not sure how 4 people would've have fit in that room. We were just two and it felt cramped.
-No hot water
-No towels (but we asked for some and they gave them to us because they are so nice)
-Not the cleanest, but the housekeeper is so nice you forget about it
-No amenities
-Loud dogs bark all night (but they're cute)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicole W
United States
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The people make this place; they are the best sort of wonderful, fun, generous people that you really want to meet. The monkeys might keep you up at night, but you can see a lot of them. Congo's was my favorite hostel in Costa Rica. It's right by the beach, too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#2 of 3 in Playa Panama
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection

Been to Congo's Hostel & Camping? Share your experiences!