“Great place!!”
Review of Hotel El Velero

Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel is a fantastic place to stay while in Hermosa. The staff is very friendly and make you feel welcome. Great drink and dinner specials, and the BBQ nights are great! It's a very clean and cozy hotel. Steps from the beach, it's a nice quiet place to relax. Not to mention a nice massage on the beach too! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for an affordable, comfortable place to enjoy while in Playa Hermosa.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stacie K

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent many meals at this restaurant enjoying the view and magnificent food. Best breakfast I had during the week in Costa Rica! They also have very skilled massage therapists on hand that can give a massage on the beach. Wait staff was extremely attentive. I spent one whole morning there while the other travelers I was with were scuba diving. I was made to feel very relaxed and comfortable the entire time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We were staying at the resort down the beach but wanted to eat with are feet in the sand. They have a good happy hour and we were able to have good drinks and watch the sunset. They have a BBQ on Sundays and Wednesdays
,we went on Wednesday and had fresh fish that was caught that day, had breakfast there once and it was also very good and fresh.the service was great and the staff very warm and friendly. Walk back to the resort late one night, felt very safe.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank polocoach
Reviewed 15 September 2013

If you are looking for a diving into the culture, friendliness, and beauty of Costa Rica - I highly recommend the Hotel El Velero. The Hotel El Velero is nestled on a beautiful beach steps away from the hotel's pool and restaurant. The staff is always friendly and smiling, the food is fresh and excellent, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I have stayed at the hotel over the last 8 years many times and have made this hotel my home while I'm in Costa Rica. The staff is long term employees making each visit feel like I'm catching up with family and friends. There is plenty to do within driving distance and the hotel is more than happy to help with any arrangements that need to be made from renting a car to traveling up to the volcano or zip lining. One unique feature that this hotel has is the beautiful boat for day excursions and great sunset views. I think so fondly of this hotel that when my girlfriend said she was traveling to Costa Rica last December to get married - my father, Mike the owner, and I helped arrange a sunset rehearsal dinner at the hotel and all the guests were simply blown away by their experience.
I strongly recommend visiting the El Velero on your next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ceastw0332
Reviewed 10 September 2013

As a repeat traveler and guest at El Velero I can report that the service and stay at this wonderful little hotel is delightful. My last trip down was in mid August and as usual I was very pleased with the staff and their friendliness. I have always been fond of the restaurant and bar. The pool is very close by and the ocean is right in front of you making your breakfast, lunch or dinner a pleasant experience. The El Velero will remain as my first choice when I am vacationing in Costa Rica.
P.S.
Great Value
WPM

Room Tip: I like the second floor. They seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank walter m
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Having stayed at the el velero on several occasions over the years my rooms have always been clean and have never noticed bugs or other critters!!! The service both from the maids to the waiters has been excellent along with the food. Feel the few negative reviews are from disgruntled travelers!!!

Room Tip: rooms 211 and 212 are ocean view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I highly recommend the Hotel El Velero for the following reasons: I have been staying at the Hotel El Velero for over ten years and have never had a bad room, service, or experience. The staff speak good English so there are no problems in communication. The hotel continues to amaze me with upgrades, cleanliness, and great food and service. The servers are the best in the area, and the food is valued prices and excellent. Happy hour specials and dinner specials are well worth considering for both guests and the locals. Barbeque Nights are the best. Air conditioning, free wireless internet, coffee, and TV in the room is a nice touch for me. I love to walk out of my room and step right onto the beach. In addition, the staff is very helpful for information on the many things to do in the area, as well as longer trips to country highlights. They are also very helpful in coordinating trips for the guests.
Not every place is perfect, but the Hotel El Velero offers the best value in the Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste area. I have always found the staff respectful, courteous, and responsive to any issues I may have encountered.
I think my experience has been so good because I start by treating people with respect, and therefore they in turn treat you with respect back. Try it - it works wonders.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are the best. Be respectful and kind and it pays off.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo