“Excellent spot”
Review of Hotel El Velero

Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 23 August 2008

We were delighted with our stay at El Velero. The position right on the beach was excellent. We liked the food, relaxed atmosphere and easy going staff. The hotel was very well kept and the library area was a firm favourite with all the family with its rocking chairs and views to the sea - a good spot to watch the thunderstorms!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank familyfiveholiday

Reviewed 17 August 2008

We came to the beach during rainy season. Our books scared us away were from staying at other beaches. We ended up taking a day trip to Nosara and found that area more exciting! While the hotel and beach at El Velero were nice, I wish we had spent more time in Nosara because the roads were not as bad as the books made them seem like they would be. The El Velero staff were wonderful and nice. The food at the place was pretty good too, which was fortunate given that we ate many meals there. The rooms were alright. The view from the rooms were terrible (a wall) and an outdoor light kept us up at night. My kids LOVED this hotel because it had a TV. We had 18 people with us, 10 kids (ranged 9-18) and every kid LOVED the place. There are great snorkling sights available near the hotel. Ticos also come by and ask tourists if they wish to go snorkling by boat. We did both and enjoyed both. The beach is lovely. But goodness, the sand in the afternoon is HOT!!!! The hotel can also set up snorkling, zip lining and other tours. What I liked least was that I didn't feel like we were in the rain forest. I felt like we were at any beach in the US. ALSO, the restaurant across from the hotel made my entire family (and the other families too) extremely sick. Luckily, we were home before Montezuma had his revenge

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We stayed for 2 nights this week, and I will tell you - the place isnt the Ritz Carlton, but it sure is a wonderful atmosphere. Mike, the owner, is a hoot. From my brief interactions he seems like a nice guy making a living keeping his place accessible to the anti-tourist crowd.

If you're looking to get away from the "tourist mob" then this hotel is for you. If you're looking for 5 star rooms, hot tubs, and spas, then maybe you should go elsewhere. The rooms weren't perfect, but they were clean and comfortable. Our room was clean, and had a digital A/C with remote control. The food was ok, the drinks were tasty and cold, and the beach was literally 20 steps from the patio. There were even free chairs for hotel guests to bring down on the beach. Now that's service!

There's a nice veranda (complete with ceiling fans, free library, and the occasional gecko on the ceiling), a small pool for the kids, a small market nearby, and plenty of good sand, surf, and sun. We made use of the veranda every evening to watch the sunset. Moments in my life I will never forget!

You're on vacation in Central America! Leave the large hotels behind. Chill out, grab a beer rom the bar, and go bodysurfing steps from your room. Everything here is relaxed and easy-going. I'm not a Jimmy Buffett fan (in fact I can't stand his songs), but if I could picture staying in a Margaritaville, this would be it!

Relax and enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank curtp07
Reviewed 5 July 2008

The Hotel Velero at Playa Hermosa in Costa Rica is a must stay for anyone looking for a great quite beach getaway. Hotel Velero is not a large Four Seasons style mega hotel, it is instead a beautiful spanish hascienda styled two story hotel with a great beach location. The rooms all include state of the art air conditioning, tv cable, and feature natural lighting. They are clean comfortable and include wifi. The hotel staff are friendly, personable and helpful. The Hotel also features a great restaurant with excellent food located just a few feet off the beach. A open air porch area provides a great place to take in the cool breezes, ocean view, and enjoy the many exotic birds species or get a glance of the area monkeys. A small but clean pool is also included which the kids enjoyed. This is a great place for people with families as well. The beach itself is in a protected harbor so there is little danger of rip currents. The water is clear and shallow, and we were able to see thousands of reef fish, puffer fish, star fish, and other aquatic marine life as soon as your get in! Excursions to area attaractions are available from the hotel but we liked the hotel so much we never left! There is also activities provided by the hotel such as sunset sailing and more. A must stay!

2  Thank happytraveler709
Reviewed 26 May 2008

HOTEL EL VELERO is the most awesome small hotel in Playa Hermosa, we stayed there for a few days, and came back each day for a visit while we were in CR. The place has the true spirit of Costa Rica , you cannot beat the location right on the beach.
Food, drinks , service is A+ , the rooms are spacious, with NO CARPET in the hotel, tv, phone, and top of the line linens. If you want to book tours, use Janett at the front desk, she knows more about the area than any of the other tour companies we spoke too. If you really lucky out you will share a story with Mike the owner. Also , the hotel has a beautiful sailboat, be sure to go on a sunset cruise, ... hotel is locally own. Again, value and spirit..

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2008

As a late afternoon walk in guest without a guaranteed reservation, I wanted to check out within minutes of seeing my room. The accomodations were worn, tired,"well used" and not attractive. Assured a quiet room, I learned it was next to a loud local bar. Realizing I could not stand in the shower or on the filthy carpet, sleep in the pilled linens or feel safe there-we checked out within 10 minutes of arrival. We were denied a partial refund of any kind. Feeling unsafe and wanting to avoid altercation, I decided to persue the partial refund once home. My credit card company attemp was rejected. The Candian owner was not hospitable nor reasonable in any way. After seeing for myself, I think most reviews for this hotel are swayed by the beauty of the hotels beach and negate the interior aspects. Dont ruin your vacation with an encounter here. There are much better places to stay in this beautiful country for the same money.

• Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank WT1NewYork
Reviewed 27 April 2008

We had a great time in Costa Rica. The hotel was affordable, the room was simple but good for the money. The beach was beautiful and the restaurant at Velero has a nice view of the ocean. We liked the breakfasts better than the dinners, so ventured out for dinners...try Ginger up the road for great Tapas.
The help at the front desk was interesting....the woman that has the day shift was great and helped us book several day trips...Monteverde, Rincon de la Vieja, and Palo Verde River tour...all amazing. The girl who works afternoon/nights was not a help at all, which caused us to panic when we first arrived.
If you want to see the howler monkeys, we saw them a the Playa Hermose hotel up the beach at around 4 near their pool in the back. oh, and bring an eye sleep mask because the hall lights stay on late at the hotel some nights and shined into our room. Luckily I had one with me, but I would have been annoyed if I didn't.
Overall we had a blast.....

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple