“Our home away from home”
Review of Hotel El Velero

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was my second time at the El Velero.
I absolutely love everything about this hotel.
My extended family has been staying here for the past 7 or 8 years.
All the staff is super friendly and genuinely happy to help you with whatever your needs may be. You CANNOT get closer to the beach.
One of the best beaches (very private and everyone is super friendly)
If you are a pretentious person who needs people waiting on you hand and foot who doesn't like authentic vacations and treat the service industry like slaves, do us all a favor and stay somewhere else.
I cannot wait to go back next year!!!!!
Thanks for everything guys!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew M

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My family and I just got back from El Velero hotel. I have read the previous reviews and I feel I need to add my bit. This hotel has it all. Great staff who treat you with respect, great location, on the most beautiful beach in the area and excellent food. We only had two negative experiences that have nothing to do with this hotel. I booked a snorkeling tour on the beach and had a very disappointing experience. We did not see very much and the operator did not communicate very well. We did not know what was happening from one moment to the next. I speak Spanish so it was not a language barrier. We were on this boat for 3 hours with no water which by the way was promissed. In any case if you would like to go snorkeling speak to the staff at the hotel. They will book it for you. They know who the professional operators are. We also ate ceviche on the beach. We all got sick. Again, use your judgement on this one. Its not pleasant to have food poisoning. One thing I would encourage you to do is to buy a piece of pottery from the guys who come every morning to sell their beautiful stuff. They work hard and are selling this stuff for very little money. My favourite young man is Francisco. He was so gracious. There are also three dogs who have made the Velero hotel their home. I was touched that the owner has taken it upon himself to provide health care for the dogs. When we were therer one of the dogs was just neutered. These dogs are certainly part of the Velero family and are very very sweet.This hotel is definitely on top of my list and eventhough I usually don't go back to the same places I may yet go back to this one. To finish off. This hotel is for everyone. We met elederly couples, young couples, families, kids, single people. When you are there you have a feeling you are part of a family. People are friendly and the hotel staff make you feel like you are at home.

Room Tip: The first thing that struck me was that the windows do not open. Luckily the air conditioner makes i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kathy k
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had the best relaxing time at this place. The service from all staff was tremendous! Over and above. Great team work! They treated me like a king! I highly recommend this special place!
The beach was safe and private. Rooms were very comfortable, had everything I needed. Food had lots of variety, I never got bored with the choices. BBQ night was great! If you want to go get there early because its a full house. Tuesdays is a TNT band.......GREAT! And don't forget the margarita special night. Ask them at the front desk which night that was cause I forget....too many margaritas! Sunrises are also yummy! Great times all around! R Mulcaster. alias Ricky Moe. :)))))))))))))))) xox xoxx thanks Mikey T

Room Tip: ask for one by the pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RickyMoe
Reviewed 17 March 2014

First trip to Costa Rica. Hotel accommodations where clean and quiet. Location of hotel spectacular (located right on beach). Hotel owner (Mike) and staff were great. The hotel food and drink was amazing. Should have stayed longer!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

March 2014, Our 2nd time to El Velero, would definitely recommend this "sweet" small, hotel! It is right on a beautiful, clean beach. The staff is very friendly, food is good, the sunsets were simply stunning! Loved the many local dogs, not a bad one to be found. Howler monkeys were around and the local school children have planted many new trees to attract more birds and monkeys. Wish I was still there!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Came to this hotel for our first trip to Costa Rica. The view when you step out of your car is spectacular, the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and very helpful with helping us set up our adventures, the rooms were very clean and the food was amazing. We were very sad to leave the hotel by the end of our week long stay we had established great relationships with the owner Mike and the staff. I highly recommend this hotel and cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Richele M
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We recently stayed for a few days at the wonderful El Velero Hotel . This was our second stay and we enjoyed it even more than the first time. The setting right beside the beach is excellent ,the staff very friendly,efficient and helpful There appeared to be many repeat guests ,largely English speaking.The owner,Mike, is a fellow Canadian and was onsite the whole time during our visit;interacting with the guests and seeing that all was well. We particularly appreciate the location of the bar/restaurant which is such a lovely spot from which to watch the magnificent sunsets or to ,start your day with breakfast overlooking the water.The meals were very good with quite a variety from which to choose. The comfortable upstairs verandah /sitting area has a selection of reading material in the bookcase and provides a spot in which to relax or enjoy a conversation with other guests while looking out at the water and the owner's sailboat, Although we did not use the pool ,other guests seemed to enjoy it. We also appreciated the comfortable beach chairs . I noticed that many guests arranged activities through the desk and we were given good advice from the very capable,helpful Jannett for our trip to the National Park, Rincon de la Vieja. We had our own vehicle and it was about an easy 45 min.scenic drive,most of it on a paved road until the last few kilometres where it became rough but was okay.. The hike in the park was so interesting with many birds, iguanas ,squirrel monkeys,howler monkeys ,bubbling mud pots,sulphur pools and huge trees. The actual trail to the rim is closed due to "activity " but the rest of the walk took a couple of hours and was wonderful.You pay a small fee to drive through a private ranch and then $10 each for the actual park entrance fee. The same park pass can be used as well at the Santa Rosa National Park.
We hope to return to the El Velero in the near future and enjoy the wonderful hospitality of Jenaro,Luis,Jannett,Steven and Rafael. It is a great place in which to base your Playa Hermosa stay.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our small room overlooking the pool and beach . It was handy to the common sitting area a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple