“Best fish tacos. Great friendly service.”
Review of Hotel El Velero

Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Vernon, Canada
“Best fish tacos. Great friendly service.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel and restaurant right on the beach. Clean quiet swimming pool just meters from the beach. Will definitely return. Bbqs wed and fri nights. Some nights live music. Parking on site, clean new bathrooms.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jimimy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was my second time at the El Velero.
I absolutely love everything about this hotel.
My extended family has been staying here for the past 7 or 8 years.
All the staff is super friendly and genuinely happy to help you with whatever your needs may be. You CANNOT get closer to the beach.
One of the best beaches (very private and everyone is super friendly)
If you are a pretentious person who needs people waiting on you hand and foot who doesn't like authentic vacations and treat the service industry like slaves, do us all a favor and stay somewhere else.
I cannot wait to go back next year!!!!!
Thanks for everything guys!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My family and I just got back from El Velero hotel. I have read the previous reviews and I feel I need to add my bit. This hotel has it all. Great staff who treat you with respect, great location, on the most beautiful beach in the area and excellent food. We only had two negative experiences that have nothing to do with this hotel. I booked a snorkeling tour on the beach and had a very disappointing experience. We did not see very much and the operator did not communicate very well. We did not know what was happening from one moment to the next. I speak Spanish so it was not a language barrier. We were on this boat for 3 hours with no water which by the way was promissed. In any case if you would like to go snorkeling speak to the staff at the hotel. They will book it for you. They know who the professional operators are. We also ate ceviche on the beach. We all got sick. Again, use your judgement on this one. Its not pleasant to have food poisoning. One thing I would encourage you to do is to buy a piece of pottery from the guys who come every morning to sell their beautiful stuff. They work hard and are selling this stuff for very little money. My favourite young man is Francisco. He was so gracious. There are also three dogs who have made the Velero hotel their home. I was touched that the owner has taken it upon himself to provide health care for the dogs. When we were therer one of the dogs was just neutered. These dogs are certainly part of the Velero family and are very very sweet.This hotel is definitely on top of my list and eventhough I usually don't go back to the same places I may yet go back to this one. To finish off. This hotel is for everyone. We met elederly couples, young couples, families, kids, single people. When you are there you have a feeling you are part of a family. People are friendly and the hotel staff make you feel like you are at home.

Room Tip: The first thing that struck me was that the windows do not open. Luckily the air conditioner makes i...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kathy k
Dunnville, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had the best relaxing time at this place. The service from all staff was tremendous! Over and above. Great team work! They treated me like a king! I highly recommend this special place!
The beach was safe and private. Rooms were very comfortable, had everything I needed. Food had lots of variety, I never got bored with the choices. BBQ night was great! If you want to go get there early because its a full house. Tuesdays is a TNT band.......GREAT! And don't forget the margarita special night. Ask them at the front desk which night that was cause I forget....too many margaritas! Sunrises are also yummy! Great times all around! R Mulcaster. alias Ricky Moe. :)))))))))))))))) xox xoxx thanks Mikey T

Room Tip: ask for one by the pool
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RickyMoe
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 March 2014

First trip to Costa Rica. Hotel accommodations where clean and quiet. Location of hotel spectacular (located right on beach). Hotel owner (Mike) and staff were great. The hotel food and drink was amazing. Should have stayed longer!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ocean Shores, Washington
Reviewed 13 March 2014

March 2014, Our 2nd time to El Velero, would definitely recommend this "sweet" small, hotel! It is right on a beautiful, clean beach. The staff is very friendly, food is good, the sunsets were simply stunning! Loved the many local dogs, not a bad one to be found. Howler monkeys were around and the local school children have planted many new trees to attract more birds and monkeys. Wish I was still there!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan R
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Came to this hotel for our first trip to Costa Rica. The view when you step out of your car is spectacular, the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and very helpful with helping us set up our adventures, the rooms were very clean and the food was amazing. We were very sad to leave the hotel by the end of our week long stay we had established great relationships with the owner Mike and the staff. I highly recommend this hotel and cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#2 of 3 in Playa Panama

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!