“Just what we hoped for”
Review of Hotel El Velero

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Right on the beach. Great rooms with air conditioning, great hotel and restaurant staff, great food. There is an area to wash off after enjoying a swim in the ocean. We went and checked out other hotels in the area but this was our favorite.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lovetotravel179

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We love El Velero, the staff, and the owner, Mike! This is not a fancy hotel, but it is a solid value for your money, and it's full of character. I bring a group of wonderful, well-behaved teenagers each summer, and it is consistently their favorite hotel. We have stayed here more than 10 times, and we've never been disappointed. Be sure to try the restaurant...Taco Tuesdays are FABULOUS, and the chef can whip up some amazing meals. Mike is a very hands-on owner, and he aims to please. We will be back!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mbahr
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great location on the beach but odd policies and rooms need an update. When we arrived, they could not find our reservation for our 2 rooms until after I showed them the confirmation I rec'd from them when I booked. The bathrooms have no shampoo or conditioner. I thought this was odd so I asked at the front desk and was told that this is the manager's policy. I wish they had told us in advance. The room key didn't work and had to be rekeyed. Worst part was they turn off ALL the lights at about 9pm so when we came back from dinner, everything (lobby, stairwell, hallways) was pitch black. Very dangerous as we had to walk up the stairs (no elevator) to our room in the dark. Food is good and service was fine but some bizarre hotel practices. Also, beds ahd no bedskirt and had exposed threadbare old mattresses exposed. We will not return.

Room Tip: 2nd floor preferred for views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank familyfromphilly10
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good value, good staff...excellent landing spot to begin or end an adventure....well done. I'd end the review there but ta wants at least 200 characters to submit a review and they deserve a good one.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank davekubi
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had no idea what to expect and was delightfully surprised. It is right on the beach. Our room was good-sized and very nice bed. The restaurant had good food and the pool was small but adequate, and who needs a pool when you are on a beautiful beach that's made for swimming. It's cheap, too. I'd come back in a heartbeat. The staff was very courteous and friendly. And there's no better place to watch the sun set with a fruit drink in hand. It's close enough to Playa de Coco to visit, but it's peaceful and relaxing so you want to hang around most of the time.

Room Tip: Get room 212 it has a view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sherrygood
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great time! great place to stay! Nice and clean rooms, great food, clean and safe beach. Good bang for your buck! your buddy RickyMoe wants to say thanks again. Looking forward to visiting this friendly place again :) maybe we will bring more people with us next year.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank RickyMoe
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Right on the beach with sunsets that will make you want to never leave, with a cold drink in your hand in a comfortable chair on the beach with your toes in the sand,not a care in the world watching the sun slowly sinking into a golden sea! This is one of those places that you start planning to come back to before you even leave. Wonderful staff and the owner is a true gentleman.Sure there are five star resorts in the area and the only reason I didn't put a 5 on El Velero is because there are places with more amenities.....and to be fair to them and the people that want to spend a ton of money to feel like they have done something special I held one back. But I can't for the life of me think of one reason to spend loads of cash for things I would never really enjoy! El Velero is pure enjoyment at a more than reasonable price. Well maintained & really clean with a restaurant that is outstanding! You'll feel like you are staying with good friends the whole time you are there. I spend lots of time in Costa Rica and have been to a lot of places.... But El Velero is at the top of my list for recommendations on places to stay! I'm a photo pro and my camera loved this place make sure you check out the photos..... even did a few HDR!

Room Tip: Try to get a second story ocean view room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family