“Fabulous!”
Review of Villa del Sueno

Villa del Sueno
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 22 July 2005

My family just returned from 3 nights a Villa del Sueno. I can’t say enough good things about this hotel. The staff was wonderful and treated us like family, the food was wonderful, and the grounds are so lush and inviting. The entire property is very well cared for. My primary concern prior to the trip was the fact that it wasn’t directly on the beach. This was totally not a problem at all. It takes less than 2 minutes to walk to the beach. I noted several hotels on the other side of the beach that were “beachfront” however most of their rooms were further from the sand than was our room. We ate several meals at the restaurant and were very pleased with all of them. The best meal of our entire trip was dinner at Villa del Sueno. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank phieaglefan

Reviewed 6 June 2005

We stayed at the Villa del Sueno at the end of April for 4 nights. We weren't sure what to expect but everything turned out to be perfect! We were a bit concerned about rain but never saw a drop in 10 days. We arrived at the airport in Liberia and zipped through customs and immigration in 10 minutes. The driver that the Villa del Sueno had arranged for, was waiting for us. 45 minutes after our plane arrived we were already at the hotel. It was only 1:00 p.m. but our room was already ready. The room was large, very clean, functional, and very reasonally priced. We had a huge closet with a closet organizer, 2 queen,very comfortable beds, an in- room safe, a rattan loveseat and chair sitting area, and our bathroom, shuttered window overlooked the pool. We quickly changed and went to the pool. We were the only ones at the pool. It is a small, spotlessly clean, beautifully landscaped pool. We ordered lunch and pineapple juice drinks which were delicious and very refreshing. All of our meals here were very good and reasonably priced. Breakfast was very inexpensive and good. For desert their specialty is profiteroles - creme puffs filled with ice cream and topped with hot fudge sauce. It was so good that on our last day I ordered it for breakfast - I had to have it one more time before we left.
The front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They helped us with phone calls to the US, arranged a scooter rental for us, and generally did anything we needed with a smile. Ronny, one of the waiters/ bartenders was very friendly and provided excellent service. The hotel is a short 3 minute walk to the beach. The first time we went to the beach we were the only ones there! It was a strange feeling to look all the way down (approximately 1 mile) and not see anyone around. The black sand was very clean as was the water. We took some photos using black and white film and the ripples on the very wide beach looked awesome. The sense of privacy and peacefulness was amazing. This trip was for our 25th anniversary and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. There is a girl who sells souveniers right behind the hotel playa hermosa and her prices are great - the least expensive of anywhere else we saw by far! (medium size salad set, only $25.) We also had a massage on the beach next to El Velero hotel. It was given by a blind woman named Yeleni. It was a very, very, good, relaxing massage. We rented a scooter in Playa Hermosa and went to playa del cocos on it one day. I had a fish "burger" (sandwich) at Papagayo's which was mahi mahi prepared however you want it. It was the freshest piece of fish I've ever had. While I was eating, my purse fell on the ground. I put everything away and continued to eat. When we got up to leave our waiter came after us. I had accidentally left $100. and my drivers license on the ground! This contributed to the feeling of safety we felt throughout our trip.
We had arranged a trip to the Borinquen resort with Michael Mills of Allegro tours. This trip turned out to be one of the best days of our life. Our guide David made it so special. We did the zip lines which we can't wait to go back and do again ( even though we were terriified before the first one) after going on a horseback ride up the flank of the Rincon de la Vieja volcano. The horses were well trained, the canopy workers were extremely safety conscious, and views were stunning. Next we had a delicous lunch at the resort. Then we did the natural sauna, mud baths, thermal pools, saw heirogliphics, and monkeys in the trees. We concluded our trip at the resort pool which is gorgeous. The best thing of all is that our group of 8 people were the only ones there for this spectacular trip. Thank you David and Michael for an awesome day.
We also rented a car from Adobe car rental. They dropped it off for free at the hotel and picked it up again at our next hotel. They were very easy to work with. No problems. The day we checked out we left our luggage at the front desk and took a trip to Llanos de Cortez waterfall. Very pretty and well worth the dirt roads! Playa Hermosa was so awesome we want to move there! Thank you Villa del Sueno for making our trip so wonderful. We can't wait to return.

14  Thank worrywart
Reviewed 30 May 2005

I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many hotels and this was by far the worst experience I have had. The manager of this hotel is the reason my experience was so bad. Firstly, when my girlfriend and I went for dinner we requested a table and he refused us because "it was his best table and he wanted to keep it incase someone else showed up". Mean while we were the only ones in the restaurant. He kept coming over and asking us how things were in a completely phony and insincere tone. Furthermore, they had a stay 3 get 1 free night green season deal, but we didn't know if we were going to stay that long so we said two days for sure. Then, when we decided to make it 4 days they made it difficult to get the extra day free. Finally and most importantly, my girlfriend asked for a couple of beach towels which they gave us. What they didn't do though was tell us that towels were stolen often. This is exactly what happened and the manager wanted to charge us $20 US per towel. At Tabacon Resort and Spa (which is a great place by the way), they tell you before hand about the towels and the cost is $10 per towel for much better towels. The problem though is not the money. It is the way the manager basically talked down, insulted and lied to us and wouldn't accomodate us in any way. So much for customer service. Avoid this place at all costs if you don't want to risk ruining your vacation.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank Krasakis
Reviewed 2 May 2005

Small boutique hotel w/ excellent staff and a great restaurant. My wife and I were there for just under a week at the end of April and if we return to the area we will certainly stay at the Villa del Sueno.

Beside a few discrepencies in our tour reservations (booked via hotel) everything else was wonderful and went without problems.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank cdesfo
Reviewed 27 April 2005

I stayed there with my family in March 2005 and it was a wonderful escape from the USA and other of the worlds troubles. The room was clean and comfortable, no frills. It was nice that there were no TV's because it was nice to just be a family without all of the distractios. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was delicious and we especially loved the hotel grounds. A very short walk to a nothing special beach, but the other beaches within a 10 minute drive were beautiful. The entertainment was great and we would stay there again.

Reviewed 23 March 2005

Our family of five enjoyed it here for one night. It is a very small "boutique" type of hotel. The staff are friendly. The pool area was very nice as was the restaurant. It is a short walk to the beach.

Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank susadams
Reviewed 6 March 2005

The best compliment I can give this hotel is after we had moved on to another location, we called to see if we could come back. After they scrambled to make a room available, we cancelled our reservations at other hotels for the remaider of our trip. The staff also informed us we were the third call that day from people wanting to return.
The hotel is spotless, the staff is professional and friendly, the food is the best in Playa Hermosa, and the facilities are fantastic. I just hope the don't raise their rates. We have paid much more for less in Costa Rica.The hotel is also connected to a small development, so for longer stays or families you can rent an appartment.
The beach (which is very clean) is about a 3 minute walk. On our second day there, we were walking back from the beach when we realized the trees overhead were filled with howler monkeys.
I can highly recommend this hotel and have already made plans to return next year.

• Stayed: February 2005
#1 of 3 in Playa Panama
Condovac la Costa
Condovac la Costa
#5 of 11 in Playa Hermosa

Been to Villa del Sueno? Share your experiences!