The Villas Sol is an interesting place; a bit of contrast, they excel in some areas and others, well maybe not so much. The lowdown:
*LOCATION: Personally I think Playa Hermosa is one of the best locations in Guantacaste. You have a sleepy laid back feel yet in just about 15 mins can be in a more action packed area (Playa Coco) or explore several other nice beaches in the area.
*SERVICE: Wow everyone was pretty amazing and nice. Have to make a couple special shout outs to Fabio and Carlos at the front desk, Jose one of the entertainment leaders at the main pool (the big one, he is awesome), the other Jose who also sometimes works the pool bar and cooks, and pretty much everyone who worked the bar area at the main pool (I think Wilmer was a bar manager if name is correct, very professional).
*ROOMS: Clean and decent size (don’t agree with other reviewers that they were small, I think they are fairly average by American standards). You have a walk in shower that easily fits two, lots of closet space, plenty of drawer space, flat screen tv with lots of channels. Plus the decks have amazing views. What is different is sometimes you may not always have really hot water, you get some bugs in your room , they don’t often replace toiletries and towels and sheets are so/so quality. To me, however, this was not a big deal, we are in Costa Rica, it is part of the adventure but if you expect 100% American 4 or 5 star hotel quality, you will be disappointed.
*GROUNDS: Beautiful , manicured, lots of wild life hanging around. On a hill overlooking the beach (takes about 10 mins to walk down). There are other hotels in the immediate area on the beach but they are more what I would call “boutique” and all levels so depends on what you want.
*FOOD: Mediocre. If you do not have a car, I would recommend the all inclusive as your options are limited without transport. If you choose the all inclusive, the food was so/so all the way around but the drinks were good (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).
*ENTERTAINMENT: Ok maybe it’s cheesy for some, but I liked the Zumba lessons, water aerobics, music and fun at the main pool. The staff does a great job of making it fun and playing a variety of music styles and engaging everyone. . If you don’t like all the ruckus, head to the quiet/smaller pool near the hotel and don't get a room or unit near the big pool or you will content with the nightly party functions.
*SPA: I had a 90 min massage, it cost me $80 plus tip. I was pretty happy with it, it’s a small space but serene and they did a good job.
*GYM: Definitely do not bother. One old universal that creaks, a broken bike and a few free weights (odd assortment). But you will get great exercise run/walking in the area (serious hills) and if you want to cycle, you have great hills and valleys to explore.
*If desire to see the area, try various restaurants, get a car. Roads while in fairly good conditions are a little windy and steep but really that makes driving fun and I loved being able to jump in my car and go to other beaches, towns, etc. at will. Things are very spread out so a car comes in handy if you are a self-directed traveler.
*Don’t be scared to try some local roadside or beach restaurants. These are often hidden gems with amazing food and great Tico hospitality.
*This place tends to attract Costa Rican tourists on the weekends while the week days seemed to have more Americans and Canadians. I like the diversity myself, the more international the better to me. It’s probably a notch or so below what most American’s expect from a hotel labeled “resort” but I liked it and it worked for us.
*The beach can have a good current so be careful. You will also see dogs and families as well as beach combers cleaning up the beach every day. A few “merchants” selling you their goods or services but not over the top.
*I booked our zip line tour with Tico Tours (great driver/ tour guide Marcos) and Bernal is great to deal with (the owner).
So read this and decide for you if it works. I liked it, would go back but also recognize it may not be for everyone and the area has lots of options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a development of 100% Costa Rican capital located on Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste on the northern Pacific Coast and managed by Promotora La Costa, a pioneer company in tourism development in Guanacaste. We are a 4-star resort, and have a Tourism Sustainability Certification (CST) of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and we are affiliated with Resort Condominium International RCI, being the only resort in Central America included in the Gold Crown category granted by this company. We work under an all-inclusive service in 54 deluxe hotel rooms and 109 fully equipped villas of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. With unbeatable view of Papagayo Gulf. Among many alternatives for entertainment and sports offered by Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, you’ll find a wide variety of activities for all ages - water sports (motorized & non motorized), sport fishing, diving, kayak & jet ski as well as many one day tours that will take you to the many national parks and hide-away beaches in the area surrounding our resort. Our great location makes not only our resort a great destination but also offers a convenient closeness to all major tours and activities taking place in the Guanacaste area and surroundings. Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a place for all ages and types of vacationer. A great choice for families traveling with children, single travelers, honeymooners, people looking for a relaxing vacation or those looking for fun and excitement. Our friendly, helpful staff welcome all guests with a “PURA VIDA” and a smile & the best service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Playa Hermosa
- Hotel Sol Beach
- Sol Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Playa Hermosa Sol Hotel
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste