“One of my favorites!”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
atlanta, ga
“One of my favorites!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a group of 10 college students on a study abroad trip and it was one of our favorite stays!!! The food was amazing and plentiful and the 2 for 1 happy hour was even better! We loved walking right out to the beach in the mornings and also enjoyed some time on the kayaks that the hotel has to offer during the day. Nightlife is awesome near by if you don't mind taking a 10 minute taxi to Playa de Coco. The rooms were nice and the staff was wonderful! I hope to come back and stay at the Bosque del Mar Hotel in the future if I have the chance! Pura vida!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our family of 4, which included two adult daughters, stayed at this lovely hotel for 4 nights at the beginning of August. Our penthouse room was magnificent and one of the loveliest rooms we have ever stayed in! The penthouse included two decks, a sitting area inside, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. We had access to a kitchen room for our personal use. The hotel was immaculate and the staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel is directly on the beach. The beach itself is very calm and quiet. The hotel provided beach lounge chairs, served drinks there for the guests and the beach was beautiful and serene. Iguanas roamed freely. We saw the happiest dogs that we have ever seen on the beach and they were healthy and well taken care of. We appreciated how empty the beach was. The breakfasts were fine in the restaurant and we generally went elsewhere for dinner. This is a top notch hotel with a lovely staff. What a great vacation we had there.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse if available!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo H
Memphis,TN
Reviewed 31 July 2013

" my 16 year old daughter and I recently stayed at the Bosque del Mar for 5 nights and just loved it! We had a second story ocean view room and enjoyed each sunset on this beautiful beach! No, this is not a white sand beach, but I think the rich dark sand and the local culture on the beach give it all that more of a unique experience. I gave the property 5 stars. The front dest was very helpful in making prior room preparations via email prior to our visit, "thanks Estaban", the staff were all very friendly, the breakfast was great, the room very comfortable, and they Evan helped arrange transportation to another hotel in a different location we wanted to visit,"thanks Guierrmo" We had 2 other meals besides dinner there and we're not impressed with the food. I would stick to the wonderful breakfast. The only other slight inconvience was having to ask for shampoo, coffee, washcloths etc daily that I felt should have been left every day as part of housekeeping. Other than that , the five stars. I will always remember our time here very positively! "

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally N
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in the month of July 2013 with my 14 year old son. It is a very nice secluded hotel. There is a lot of vegetation and it is right on the beach. The beach is very clean and the tide is very low. If you are looking for tranquility this is the perfect place. If you want to visit other beaches it is rather far away. The restaurant has very good food and friendly staff but it is slow, so take your time. The buffet breakfast is very good.
The rooms are very comfortable, we had one on the second floor which we loved.

Room Tip: We loved our privacy on the second floor as well as the view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have dined at their restaurant several times and I like the food and especially the atmosphere. Everything is modern and grand. The garden is beautiful and you are right on the beach. I liked their pureed soups a lot. As an advise to all the people who write horrible reviews and complain about bugs, dead fish, monkeys howling I suggest to keep away from nature and stay in their urban jungles with the HVAC on and keep spraying themselves with chemicals.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CAHE4EK
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed at the Bosque del Mar Hotel for 3 days in June - the last part of my Costa Rica vacation and I have to say my boyfriend and I were extremely disappointed. First of all know going in that Playa Hermosa is not near anything so if you do not have a car - rent one! Even if only for this area. There is nothing close by!

Secondly this hotel is NOT a resort nor does it feel like one. My boyfriend said it best - it was like renting a condo on a pretty, yet remote beach. The rooms were well equiped and clearly recently renovated however we had a serious bug problem in our room. Yes we were in Costa Rica and saw plently of bugs etc but there were many more in this room and even 3 crabs crawling around!! And most disappointing was the outdoor hot tub that was crawling with ants! That was a major selling point for this hotel and we did not end up using it!

In terms of the hotel facilities the grounds were fine but the pool was small and again crawling with ants and flies - not relaxing at all! The restaurant at the hotel was nice and very reasonably priced. Although the breakfast was anemic at best - poor selection and quality of food.

In terms of the service - the staff was nice however incredibly unhelpful! It almost felt like teen-agers were in charger for the summer - they were nice but did nothing at all! We asked to move rooms several times and were told we couldn't but did not get an actual reason why. We asked about taking cabs since we didn't have a car and they would only provide us with the offensively expensive hotel shuttle! That made us angry and we tried to negotiate but again, the staff did nothing! And they said they could arrange a trip for us - like boating, etc so we went to talk to their person on site and he was never there. The one time we found him he had no real information to give us. He basically said he didn't know much about trips! Then clearly he realized he wasn't doing a good job so he tried to track us down with a brochure. NOT impressive at all!!

I will say Playa Hermosa is a lovely beach. If only the hotel provided nice comfortable chairs!!

Bottom line I can't recommend this hotel - although the price is decent it is sorely lacking in so many areas. My boyfriend and I thought about leaving the hotel but were too tired and didn't want to pay the large shuttle fee to leave! However on the last day we got a guest pass to the Four Seasons on the Papagayo Penninsula - now that was relaxing!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SafariGirl28
James H, Owner at Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear guest,
Even when we have never promoted our hotel as a "resort" (because we know is a completely a different concept), we designed and operate Bosque del Mar as a small beach front boutique hotel. Architecture and services pretend to be of high level, but we know there are several things we need to improve and having comments from our clients are positively received.
We constantly fumigate the gardens and sourroundings to minimize flies and other insects, but due the rainy season is starting and than we can´t have control of what the neighbors do in the own properties, it´s hard for ask to completely eliminate bugs (besites natural garden we try to maintain). Buildings are fumigated every 3 months, but now we will do it often due the beginning of rainy season causing us troubles regarding bugs.
We also have talk with the tours operation in our Front Desk to ask them to offer better service and information due that´s why the hotel have gave then the oportunity to set a Tours Desk there. Besides our shuttle service, we will also offer other taxi options so the clients can choose what transfer want to take.
Thanks a lot for your comments, we will work harder to improve our services.
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Sigh. I really have tried to like this hotel. I tried to base my dissapointment on the fact that we first stayed at Arenal Nayara one of the top Hotels in the country as a reason I was not enjoying myself.

Alas, no such luck. Came here for the second part of our Honeymoon. Showed up on a Wednesday and then left Sunday. The entire time it was seemingly abandoned as if we were the only ones there. Greeted at the front desk by a smelly, huge guy with sweat marks all over him when we arrived who promptly put bright blue plastic wrist bands on us to designate we had a 'Meal Plan'. He said, "Most you guys dont like it, but its easier for us." Oh. its easy for you. As in you dont have to WORK to ask us if we have a meal plan or not. either way we pay so I really didnt appreciate 'being branded like cattle' as another reviewer stated. we went on tours with other resorts amd people were laughing at our wrist bands. Bosque is obviously the only place that does this.

When taken to our 'Honeymoon suite' we were taken to a room with two beds! For a Honeymoon. What?!
They promptly switched our room to a king, however.

Throughout the stay we noticed the language barrier was much more apparent here. You need to know some Spanish to stay here. They have maybe two or three people that speak a fair amount of English.

The room was okay. It is obvious that this hotel is old and the interior has been heavily updated to overcome that. Not enough outlets. All the doors were sliding doors and very frustrating to open. Not only that but they are not sealed appropriately on the bottom or in the cracks of the door itself! It's very easy for bugs to get in. We had a Red Ant problem, a few lizards, Mosquitos etc... I felt itchy at night. I hated sleeping in this room as I felt we were constantly killing and getting bit by bugs!

The beach. Oh dear, the beach. I'm not picky about beaches but this was by far the dirtiest beach I've ever been to and not because the sand is black, that was expected!

No, there was litter everywhere. Too many locals roaming about, stray cats and dogs (one of them chased us, not all are nice and most are emaciated looking...gross. Poor things.) litter as in coke bottles, trash from locals and hundreds of dead fish that ended up stinking up the beach. Lots of locals approaching you to buy crud from them.

Also, there is a family that lives right next door to the resort. They have tons of chickens and dogs that end up running around this resort. In fact there is so much chicken crap around right in front of the main dining that it is impossible to eat without having flies swarming all over you and your food. I mean swarming. It's impossible to away them all away.

The waiter we had explained that the family once owned tons of land and then sold it, so they are rich by Costa Rican standards and they don't work but instead sit around getting drunk on Sugarcane moonshine all day. Ah. Good to know. There is no line designating who's property is whose and they were a bit territorial.

We were walking the beach at night after a sunset cruise and we walked in front of the property (which is hard not to do since it is literally next door. Their house is practically attached to the hotel.) and the owner came out and started walking behind us asking what we were doing! I mean, it must have been the owner but I can't be sure because it was so dark. All I know is being yelled at by strange locals in the dark after 6pm is not my idea of fun. He could have had a weapon for all we know.

The beach chairs - COVERED in ants, no cusions and all but maybe three that I saw were not broken in the seat part.

No monkeys. Where are these monkeys people are talking about? We did see an Iguana though. That's it besides the dead fish and dead puffer fish.

The water - not inviting and dirty looking. I did not get in the water
at all. Period.

Food - meh. It was edible enough but you get very tired eating the same place every day. They had enough selection to just get by for three days. Otherwise it gets monotonous. Steak was tough. Seafood was okay but make sure you like to eat Octopus tentacle before ordering anything seafood here. We were fine since we love sushi but I could see that as a big shock to some people.

The activities on this side of Costa Rica were pretty good. Boat tour was great. Sunset cruise was okay but it stormed really bad on the way back. The cruise though was hosted by some locals I guess they were not uniformed. They offered us snorkeling in a reef. No life jackets, just noodles. While other boats from other resorts had life jackets etc.. The boat had no lighting system for night time like boats are required to have in the U.S. so it's a bit scary.

The pool - looks great in pictures but very sad looking in person. The hot tub is maaaaybe a Luke warm if I'm being generous.

Oh, also if there are people here it's usually large families with kids. Screaming and crying kids are a normal occurrence here. If you don't like that, look elsewhere.

Overall... We stayed only 3 nights. By the second day I was wanting to just. Go. Home. :(

Customer service was rather poor. Everyone was very reluctant to talk to you or help you. They acted like they would rather be somewhere else, even the English speaking ones. After such great, easy service in Arenal it was a bit of a shock.

I will not stay here again. I've never written a review on here and never been inclined to give a bad one but I simply could not be happy with my stay here. Especially as this was a honeymoon and we were not treated or accommodated with anything special...or even a stocked wet bar.

Usually hotels have snacks in the room you can open and purchase.. Nothing was in these rooms. Only one package of coffee. No decaf. No tea.

Nothing romantic about this place at all. If you're a big family looking for a family friendly, beach resort and you're okay with bugs in your rooms then it's okay. Other than that.... Look elsewhere!!

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank KelLee87
James H, Owner at Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear client,
We are really concerned about your comments, first we thank you for sincerely letting us know about some important flaws we need to improve. We would appreciated even more, if you would make these comments to our Residence Manager during your stay, so we could work more harder fixing some situations under our control and make your stay enjoyable.
Wrist bands are used in many hotels in this country for control and security issues –including big International hotel brands-, we also use then to identify our clients and ensure the beach chairs and other facilities will be exclusively for them (as all the beaches in Costa Rica are public). Normally our guests are fine wearing the wrist bands, but now we will analyze if we keep using them or not, in order to not bother our guests as you unfortunely were.
Bosque del Mar was completely renovated and reopened by the end of 2008, all buildings are now since then we run a preventive maintenance program every low season. As this low season just started a month ago, there are several things that we need to work on during the next weeks including doors fixing and beach chairs replacement. About room interiors, all our mattress are anti- allergic and all buildings are fumigated every 3 months.
The concept design was having a high level quality but low environmental impact hotel, that´s way you can find many sustainable practices in architecture and our daily operation. For example, our gardens were planted with low maintenance plant species and we water them with reusable water that we get from our treatment water system (pioneers in the area). We also fumigate surroundings constantly to avoid plagues, but the products and frequency cannot be so aggressive due we don´t want to kill all the insects and cause a big impact in gardens nature.
Many of our guests have congratulated us for our efforts in sustainability and the little jungle we try to keep around the rooms. They are normally aware that visiting a tropical country will probably include some insects –as they are part of the nature that people come to Costa Rica looking for-. It´s also normal for this season of the year, that rainy season is starting so some animals and bugs change their behavior temporality to adjust to the new conditions. Death fish or crabs may be found sometimes during this period due red tide and other nature issues. Anyhow, during our room maintenance we will be fixing doors to avoid insects.
The hotel has an employee working exclusively on beach cleanliness every day from 6 am – 5 pm. This person ensure all the beach chairs are clean, sweep the beach in front the hotel and surroundings, clean the waste baskets in the beach picks up all the nature waste as possible (leaves, stems, etc. that waves normally bring out the water). But as you may understand, is not easy to control all the tide natural waste and what neighbors do in their beach front.
Dogs, cats and other domestic animals (with owners or not) are also free to be in the public beach, even we don´t allow guests to bring in animals with them. For street dogs and cats, we will try to contact an organization who can take them to a shelter. Regarding the monkey that so many of guests are always so thrill to enjoy closely, they don´t live in the hotel property but frequently use our trees for feeding. As they are wild animals, we have no control on their visits.
Unfortunely the people selling things in the beach also bother us as a company, but again, as the beach is public and as long as they don´t do anything illegal, there is not much we can do. There are also many guests who enjoy sharing with locals and having a massage with the sound of the waves right in the beach under a tree (for some that´s an idyllic idea), this is also something popular in Costarican beach hotels.
Regarding the Sunset tour you had, we will contact our tour operator to check all the security and quality measures. About beach front lightening, we ensure lamps all around in front of our property but can´t make the neighbors do the same, anyhow we are also asking to the cruise tour operator to make sure they will land the clients right in front of our hotel and set up lightening from the boat to the beach when people is arriving.
Due Guanacaste´s hot weather and our energy saving practices, we daily turn on the jacuzzi´s water heater at 4 pm. Now we will put a sign with this info, and also letting the guests know that if they want to use it earlier they just need to ask our staff to turn it on.
Finally, there are several flaws you pointed out regarding our staff and service, that´s something that we will be strongly working on now because we really believe the soul of our company has to be the warm and personalized service.
We really sorry that your visit was not memorable for a Honey Moon, and wish we had the chance to fix all that was under our control if we know about the situation earlier.
Apollogies,
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#2 of 3 in Playa Panama
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa? Share your experiences!